What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Friction Display - iPad Pro (2020 12.9”)

YosephTTime

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here’s an unusual problem that no one at Apple can fix:

my iPad’s screen is full of friction! If I drag my finger along the display, the screen feels like it’s tugging on my finger. Here’s the thing that sealed the deal for me: if I slide my Apple Pencil along the display, the screen feels rough and full of resistance and my Apple Pencil even squeaks. I have replaced my Apple Pencil tip so that is not the issue.

I got my iPad about a month ago.

there is only one fix: using my finger to smudge the display allows the Apple Pencil to gluide effortlessly along the display. No squeaking.

My theory is that manufacturing failed to put some coating on the display that makes it feel more glossy. I doubt it’s the oeleophobic coating, since that is meant to wear down after a while. Or maybe the glass on the display isn’t smoothed down. The only strange things my display has come in contact with are a couple alcohol whipes, a moist cloth, and a microfiber towel. Don’t blame it on the alcohol I’m very sure that’s not the issue.

Apple stores are going to be closed for a while where I live; this is driving me nuts

anyone else know of this problem? Experience it themselves? Have any theories? I’d love the entertainment. Thanks guys

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the iPad is only a month old, it’s still under warranty. If you can do without it for a week, call Apple tech support and describe the problem. They will (probsbly) either send you a way to ship the iPad for repair, or offer to ship you one in exchange. Some Apple Stores are also doing curb side service, so I’d check and see if that is available.

I would not try coating the screen with anything myself. If you do have to keep the iPad for a while, I’d still contact Apple and get your issue on record in case you want/need to replace it later. In the mean time, you could use a screen protector. Even a cheap one should make it less of an issue. Some people prefer them, at least the good quality ones.

After much back-and-forthing I finally (just now) ordered a Paperlike protector for my 2019 iPad Mini. It’s a pretty expensive option, but if I like how it works I’ll get one for the iPad Pro eventually.

Most reactions

Latest posts