What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi there!

GKar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Folks, I just created a new account here however I never saw any iPAD before. I was wondering if you can help me decide if it's worth to buy one or not!

My main use for a new iPAD would be to read lots of books, all of them in PDF format, BUT from different sources downloaded from the internet.

I have a cheap tablet here called Coby but this thing is garbage, it can't read some ebooks, they are taking too long to load and others don't even load at all.

And there's no way to enlarge ebooks, which is a must depending on how the whole thing was scanned, some ebooks are only available as pictures inside PDFs.

From what I saw about iPAD it's possible to enlarge book pages and it looks like it can read most sources without lags to open the files or switch pages.

Some ebooks are over 50 MB and they have hundreds of pages, should I expect any problems using iPAD?

- And what about the screen, if I were to read 3-4 hours or even more a day, any fatigue?

- The battery can last over 8 hours, is that right?

- How are we going to upload all those PDFs to iPAD? Can you download from the internet (a website you just uploaded that PDF) or this procedure is done by using the USB connection?

I know there are lots of other things to consider from the iPAD itself but my primary use would be to study. I need to rely on this thing basically for that, I am studying at home.

Thank you all ;)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can load any PDF downloaded from the net into iBooks, and read it right there.

I have found that reading ebooks using the night mode (white on black) is easier on the eyes, but unfortunately this option does not exist for PDFs. There is an inverse video option in accessibility settings, but it doesn't work well for pictures.

Some of our members use GoodReader for PDFs. It may have more options. I've never gotten around to buying it but I've heard nothing but good about it.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, missed a bit. You can download your PDFS in Safari, then use Open in... to transfer them to iBooks.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Tutorial on creating posts on the Forum
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...-creating-posts-starting-new-threads-how.html
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
3 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help...shortcuts-helpful-places-people-new-ipad.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

OP
GKar

GKar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought the new IPAD 4, with 64 GB and Wi-Fi only. It was priced R$ 2.250 here in Brazil (even more expensive (perhaps the highest price in the world) compared to what people in US pay), but I was pleased when I saw the image in the store.

From Apple I only had an IPOD until now, and I never saw any IPAD before.

The funny thing is that in my gym today I saw a guy holding one (and today I was going to the mall to look for it). Perhaps that was a sign from the powers that be for me to buy?

A quick question: the IPAD itself comes in a plastic package. Should I remove this protection or only use with it?

Last edited:

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
That's more than $1,100 U.S., very expensive.

You can remove the plastic packing sleeve and the peel away plastic that covers the screen.

Purchasing a "smart cover" would be a reasonable investment to protect the screen.

If you're mobile and taking the iPad with you frequently you may wish to consider a protective case. There are many quality products available.

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
GKar

GKar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Admiral, how do I know if this is really IPAD 4?

I mean, the IPAD itself, and what is inside the package is not confirming this. Should I look in general settings for something, a model number, anything specific that can confirm this is really IPAD 4 and not 3 for example?

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
GKar said:
Admiral, how do I know if this is really IPAD 4?

I mean, the IPAD itself, and what is inside the package is not confirming this. Should I look in general settings for something, a model number, anything specific that can confirm this is really IPAD 4 and not 3 for example?

This is the connector cable for iPad 3.
image-3360778238.jpg

This is the connector cable for iPad 4 / Retina
image-3376093047.jpg

These identification codes may also help.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5452

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

OP
GKar

GKar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can remove the plastic packing sleeve and the peel away plastic that covers the screen.
Is this advisable? I saw today how that same plastic that covers the screen looks like and it seems this can extend the life of the iPAD itself. I mean, I shudder to think how this IPAD is going to look like with prolonged use with our dirty fingers touching that screen, and without this protection.

One last question, do I need to buy a headphone from Apple to use in this IPAD 4? Will the headphone be plugged in that same USB port?

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
GKar said:
Is this advisable? I saw today how that same plastic that covers the screen looks like and it seems this can extend the life of the iPAD itself. I mean, I shudder to think how this IPAD is going to look like with prolonged use with our dirty fingers touching that screen, and without this protection.

One last question, do I need to buy a headphone from Apple to use in this IPAD 4? Will the headphone be plugged in that same USB port?

I kept my plastic on until my back cover arrived.....I use a screen protector and Smart Cover also.

I worried about fingerprints and smudges at first but as time went on I ceased cleaning it every time I used it.

Most headphones will fit the iPad and there is a headphone port at the left top of the iPad when held in portrait. Well that's where it is on my ipad2. Headphones need a firm push into the port to seat them properly also.

OP
GKar

GKar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai, I was confusing the plastic package with the screen protector. Then I saw this YT video and now I get it.

I will get one, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
GKar

GKar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had no luck purchasing a screen protector and trying to install today. I wasted about 40-50 dollars, and when I tried to put the thing I failed suddenly and had to throw away. That's because the place I bought do not install for others.

But I already found one that can do this for me, monday I will check this.

In the meantime I bought the Apple Earpods (very good, but I found out today that any headphone would work, should have tried others, however I don't regret buying this) and the polyurethane smart cover. Judging by what people are saying, polyurethane would be a better choice than leather and the Smart Case can't hold the IPAD firmly as much as the Smart Cover. I couldn't find the Incase Mag Snap Back Case yet.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
GKar said:
I had no luck purchasing a screen protector and trying to install today. I wasted about 40-50 dollars, and when I tried to put the thing I failed suddenly and had to throw away. That's because the place I bought do not install for others.

But I already found one that can do this for me, monday I will check this.

In the meantime I bought the Apple Earpods (very good, but I found out today that any headphone would work, should have tried others, however I don't regret buying this) and the polyurethane smart cover. Judging by what people are saying, polyurethane would be a better choice than leather and the Smart Case can't hold the IPAD firmly as much as the Smart Cover. I couldn't find the Incase Mag Snap Back Case yet.

Yes some screen protectors aren't so easy to apply and any dust around can be a headache when trying to apply it. I have the apple earpods, haven't tried them as yet though, they came with my iPhone 5.

I also have the leather Smart Cover......it's weathered now but still good after almost 2 years of heavy use. We have many threads on the different cases available and reviews of what our members think of them. Good luck with your choice.

Most reactions

Latest posts