What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help updating get error -5000

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrsyangl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While trying to update my iPad2, I get the message:
An error occurred while backing up this iPad(-5000). Would you like to continue to update this iPad?
Continuing will result in the loss of all content in this iPad.
ITunes is 10.5.3. I'm trying to update the iPad rom 4.3.1 to 5.
What should I do? Should I cancel and try again or must I lose "all content"? Any help would be appreciated.

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there,

I would just connect to iTunes and when the iPad shows up in the devices list on the left, Right-Click" on its name and select "Backup." Then go back to the upgrade process and just ignore the error and continue. You will have a backup that the rest of the process will be able to call up and work from when it gets to that point.

Perhaps someone else can shed some light on the backup problem, but I can tell you that I was not able to do backups on either the iPad or iPhone before doing my upgrades and in spite of that the previously made backups worked just fine.

I was upgrading using the full 750 Mb .ipsw firmware files for both units already downloaded and stored locally on my computer. That might be another option.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

mwhartman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please do not cross post (post the same question in different sections) This thread is closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions