What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"An error occured while backing up (-50) on attempted ios5 upgrade. Help!

circa7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes is saying:

Please help: trying to update but iTunes is saying "An error occured while backing up this ipad (-50). Continuing will result in the loss of all contents on this iPad."... Anyone know what's going on?

flybuddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got this same error msg. I believe it is caused by differences in what itune has and updated apps on your ipad. Without closing itunes, click on your ipad and sync it. After that hit update again, it will not download the 707 mb ios5 file again and should start the backup process right away.

tsukraw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the exact same message on both ipod and ipad.
The 2 devices are hooked to different computers....

keith99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not a great start. Did sync as suggested, then it was trying to restore settings but (fortunately) couldnt even do that.

flybuddy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Been reading all the threads, most everyone is having multiple problems with the download. I've tried 6 times, keep fixing issues but now stuck with the dreaded "3200" on the restore. Lots of folks have gotten that and those that have called have been told it's because Apple's server is blown out.

DoubleElite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having a similar issue (different error, and It's telling me it failed to backup my iPad), hope it's fixed up soon. I'm updating all my apps right now, "maybe" that'll help.

Last edited:

dacooks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just talked to a nice lady on tech support...she seemed more hacked off than me because her iPad is giving her the same 3200 error message I am getting. Their official response is the server is buried and "try again in a half hour" (when the rest of the world is also doing the same thing). FYI, same issue with my iPhone iOS 5 update too. Same error message.

lawkout

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This worked for me...

After updating iTunes, I received the "error 3200". I then realized, because I have multiple user accounts on my machine I had to log into each user account and launch iTunes and Click "AGREE" to the user agreement. After doing this I logged back into my user account and launched iTunes and the iPad "IOS 5" update worked.

PHOENIX987

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HELP !!! I'm having the same problem, I get the following message "The iPad could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3200)"
I managed to update my iPhone 4 with no problems and that was jailbroken;p "not any more tho, not needed"
But with the iPad I get this error every time.
I have tried what apple have recommend
*restart computer
*make sure iTunes is up to date
*disconnect other USB devices
*update operating system

And still nothing

Any one got any ideas ?

Lonet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I've googled for it and on businessinsider (.com) I've read this article: "Updating to IOS 5 has been a massive headache"

It seems the problem is with Apple's servers and it's happening to everyone.

Best regards

PHOENIX987

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually that's some good news :p

I'm happy its not a problem down my end

Thanks for the update m8

Have a great evening

Lonet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I've googled for it and on businessinsider (.com) I've read this article: "Updating to IOS 5 has been a massive headache"

It seems the problem is with Apple's servers and it's happening to everyone.

The traffic seems to be to heavy. I'll try tomorrow, but don't worry because when you'll disconnect your iPad it'll be as it was (with the former IOS, but all your data)

Best regards

Osnail

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, I had this issue but fixed it by doing the following...

You may want to check that the computer you are on is authorised, so that any purchased apps are also downloaded to that computer. The error message means that the iPad and the itunes account are not in sync, once you have auth'd it any apps will download and you can then perform a sync and backup manually. After that you can update!!

Hope this works for you all too... :D

Most reactions

Latest posts