What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LuxAeterna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've recently purchased an iPad pro with the pencil, and so far I love it. However...one huge and annoying issue I'm having is unwanted finger detection. While the palm rejection feature works great at not making unwanted marks on my drawings...while I'm holding the pencil, I noticed that I will get little dots and lines all over my drawings. I finally figured out it is because when I'm holding the pencil, my pinky finger occasionally but BARELY touches the screen and makes tiny marks everywhere. By the time I've noticed, I either cant erase it because it would involve me also having to erase part of the background or something, or its too late to "undo" because I've gone too far into the drawing.

Does anyone else have this problem? I am aware it is probably the way I am holding the pencil, but I hold it the way I am comfortable holding a real pencil, and I'm really not OK with adjusting this.

Now, it's like the only thing I can do is try and remember every minute or so to see if I've made any marks and catch them before it's too late. Definitely not something I have to worry about working on paper, so I really don't want to have to worry about it, especially on something that is supposed to make sketching/drawing quicker and easier.

I still like having touch features in some of the drawing apps like zooming in and out, rotating, etc...so it's not like I want them turned off. I guess I was just expecting iPad Pro to be more accurate in detecting when the tip of a finger is intentionally touching the screen, versus the side of my finger barely brushing up against it.

So, is there a solution for this? Perhaps pressure sensitivity adjustment or something that I am not aware of?

Apps I currently use are Adobe Sketch, Illustrator Draw, and Concepts

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad Pro is designed to accept inputs from the Apple Pencil and your finger simultaneously, if needed. There's apparently no way to change this. You'll have to change the way you hold the Apple Pencil or wear some thin gloves that block input from the fingers.

Andy847

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was getting that a lot in Procreate, until I realized Palm rejection wasn't turned on when I started my painting I'm working on. I forget if it was under the preferences in the app or in the settings of the Ipad Pro under Procreate when you hit it. It might be the same thing other apps.

I use to have an Item called the Stylus Handpad. I recently lost it and found in another forum for Artists a good substitute for it. I also tried the Huweii Drawing glove with coverage for the pinky and ring finger, but that left marks in apps without palm rejection. So the substitute I've been using is the Targus CleanVu Cleaning Pads. If you somehow make the opening smaller (I just used Duct tape to do it), you can stick your pinky or pinky and ring finger in it, and your palm rests on that. It's used to clean Ipads and tablets, so does well. I think it only comes in a 3 pack, but I only spent 8 or 9 dollars on Amazon. Worth it in my opinion. The stylus Handpad was made just for drawing and It was perfect, but I lost it or my dog ate it! Just can't find anywhere that sells it anymore. I'm considering velcro to make the opening smaller, rather than the duct tape, but I've had it a few months and it's working fine.

CleanVu™ Cleaning Pads for iPad® (3-Pack)
20160409_022058_HDR.jpg 20160409_022241_HDR.jpg
20160409_022251_HDR.jpg 20160409_022402_HDR.jpg

V.I.N.CENT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In ProCreate, I've not had any palm rejection issues. In some of the others I have though. Graphic is AWFUL when it comes to palm rejection. I use ProCreate the most.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
it's an app/software issue. you didnt mention which app. sounds like you're talking across the board for the Pro. this isnt the case. some apps deal better with it than others.

for me, i love Notability's recent update - it allows you to completely de-activate finger drawing in place of Pencil only, making palm/finger detection irrelevant. in drawing apps this feature would also be of great benefit. but again, it's a software thing that needs to be included.

OP
L

LuxAeterna

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all for the feedback and suggestions. I'm thinking it is just one of those things with the Adobe apps. I plan on downloading Procreate soon, so I will test out to see if it makes any difference. I'm also going to double check the settings to make sure palm rejection is indeed turned on!

Most reactions

Latest posts