What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An unknown error occurred (-1) while trying to restore Ipad 3 new

Status
Not open for further replies.

livesergey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Happy iPad users, I may need some help from you please.

I’ve got a problem with my iPad new 32 GB WiFi + 4G LTE.
I bought it just recently in China and was using it for nearly one month without any issues.
Then at some point i started getting synchronization problems with iTunes and applications that I have downloaded did not run properly or simply won’t start on my iPad. Then I’ve lost cellular signal.

Trying to resolve the issues I had to reset iPad to factory settings and after that I could not register it with apple. I tried many times with no success.
Then I went through some internet articles and decided to restore my iPad and finally I’ve got my almost new iPad stuck is restore mode!!!
I cannot get it out of restore mode and I cannot get it restored.
When I try to restore it I get the following message:the ipad "ipad" cannot be restored. An unknown error occurred (-1)the ipad "ipad" cannot be restored. An unknown error occurred (-1)

The ipad "ipad" cannot be restored. An unknown error occurred (-1)
Here are the things I’ve done so far trying to restore it
  1. Tried to restore in on Windows XP – no luck, same message
  2. Tried to restore it on Windows 7 – no luck, same message
  3. Tried to restore it on MacBook – NO LUCK, SAME MESSAGE
  4. Tried to use recovery fix option on redsn0w. Did not help. I tried different versions of this program with no success. Maximum what I had is my iPad was entering “white apple mode†after clicking fix restore button.
  5. Tried to restore iPad from DFU mode both on Windows XP and Windows 7, no luck, same message (error -1)
I suspect that my iPad may have a hardware issue however I still hope it can be fixed with your help.
We don’t have an official apple support centers where I leave and I would like to try all the options before I send it to abroad apple support center or to a shop where I bought it.

Please can anybody help me with advice on how to fix my iPad?

Thank you all in advance.

AllenSalar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are you restoring with the correct firmware for your iPad 3?

May I know the firmware and where did you download it?

AllenSalar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh... Then I got nothing, I'm sorry.

Although in relation to that, I've read some article somewhere not long ago referring to this. Something about downloading iFaith and deleting the SHSH blobs of your iPad then making a new restore to your iPad. So don't try this yet, it's not worth the risk.

You'll just have to wait for someone else. Sorry.

OP
L

livesergey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tried this with no success :-(((....
I downloaded both iOS (5.1.1 and 5.1) versions and followed instructions in Tutorial:
with 5.1.1 it ends up with error -1 again...
with 5.1 i get error 3194

AllenSalar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
livesergey said:
with 5.1 i get error 3194
Well, since your from 5.1.1 and you decided to restore with 5.1, you would normally get that error saying that you are are downgrading and apple doesn't want that, and I'll do an intensive research and experiments on this for you.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
After further looking, I'm afraid that what I am seeing is that the error code "-1" means that you have a hardware issue. Take a look at this thread (click the "Error 1 or -1" link) to see if there is any more trouble shooting you can do: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3694

Else, I am afraid this is a "take it to the Apple Store,and ask the Geniuses for help" kind of situation. Sorry.

Marilyn

roismurphy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HI there,
did you get your iPad working again? I'm having pretty much the exact same issues, have tried the same processes you mentioned and my lovely shiny two week old iPad is still stuck in recovery mode loop. I will take it to the Apple store if I need to but wanted to first check if your problem was resolved and if so how. thanks!

OP
L

livesergey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No Chief,

I tried everything I could find on forums and specialized English and Russian speaking websites ... However no luck. Then i sent this ipad to Apple store via my friend in US and they changed it to a new one for free.

Regards,

Sergey

avma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello,

I ran into the exact same problem with my 10 month old iPad 3 4G 64GB model A1430. During upgrade from ios 6.0.1 to 6.1 i received the flowing message: the iPad "iPad" cannot be restored. An unknown error occurred (-1).
I tried everything described on this page with no luck.
I'd much appreciate any suggestions or help.
Best Regards

AM

orijonl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am in the same boat. I have 2 iPad 3s, neither would take the update. One I was able to re-restore to 5.1.1, but the other is stuck in a recovery loop and fails with every attempt to upgrade or restore. I would really like to fix this myself, but I've run out of options.

beta_daz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello,

I ran into the exact same problem with my 10 month old iPad 3 4G 64GB model A1430. During upgrade from ios 6.0.1 to 6.1 i received the flowing message: the iPad "iPad" cannot be restored. An unknownerror occurred (-1).
I tried everything described on this page with no luck.
I'd much appreciate any suggestions or help.
Best Regards

AM

I am in same boat. Was working fine until I decided to update it. Now stuck in a Restore iPad loop.
Im assuming Ive lost my data and have a Ă‚ÂŁ1k Apple turd on my desk.

ehesham

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello ,, i have got the same problem and when trying the recovery mode and to restore my ipad , i have got the same error (-1) .

then i have stooped my running security software ( it is Symantec in my case ) , stop the service from the administrative tools/services in my PC. and trying restore process again . then my Ipad has been restored scornfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions