What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me justify please

eyepad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

Want and will buy the ipad2 today but its pricey with all elements. Getting cold feet when I do the math. I do want it but not sure if I should when I have a tablet already.

$729 ipad2 verizon 3g
$39 smart case
$50 hdmi out
$70 apple care
$80 tax

$968

I already have a samsung galaxy tab I got from Costco for $289 just not sure if its worth the upgrade for me. I have a macbook already as well.
Maybe I should get the wifi 16g instead of the 3g to keep the cost down?

bored2426

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Almost $1000 does seem an awful lot to pay for a second tablet.
That being said. I am about to spend $800 on an iPad 2 + accessories today.
I have a MBP and iPhone 4. But the iPad is just so great for things the MBP and iPhone can't do -- surf the net in bed, watch videos, play games, read, etc. MBP too big and iPhone too small. iPad --Just right.

I wouldn't get the 3G version. I have found that a lot of places have wi-fi hotspots and I don't need 3G. Plus I can't afford to pay $30 on top of my $100+ phone bill every month.

OP
E

eyepad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a MBP and iPhone 4. But the iPad is just so great for things the MBP and iPhone can't do -- surf the net in bed, watch videos, play games, read, etc. MBP too big and iPhone too small. iPad --Just right.

I wouldn't get the 3G version. I have found that a lot of places have wi-fi hotspots and I don't need 3G. Plus I can't afford to pay $30 on top of my $100+ phone bill every month.

Thanks for your great thoughts! I agree its awesome for entertainment etc... My company pays the data plan so thats why I am more compelled to spend the extra $129 for the 3g version.

I can return the tab to costco i just cant believe its 3x the price and should i just be happy with a cheaper tab and my macbook. thats what is driving me nuts but i want the ipad2. Then I say for $300 bucks I should keep the Galaxy Tab as well as a back up so now I am at $1300 lol.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Justification

Thanks for your great thoughts! I agree its awesome for entertainment etc... My company pays the data plan so thats why I am more compelled to spend the extra $129 for the 3g version.

I can return the tab to costco i just cant believe its 3x the price and should i just be happy with a cheaper tab and my macbook. thats what is driving me nuts but i want the ipad2. Then I say for $300 bucks I should keep the Galaxy Tab as well as a back up so now I am at $1300 lol.

As always, it comes down to what do you really want. If you are just doing, internet, e-mail, some report writing, then your current tablet works. It is probably the future wants ... it is likely the apps. and Video IP. Reading (newspaper, magazines, books, periodicals, blogs, PDF files) iPAD probably had an advantage long haul. If you want presentations with mirroring then iPAD will be superior. If you want up to 10 hrs of battery iPAD is there (Don't know about your tablet). Your MB is very useful.
iPAD2 is here, will be here all this next year and then some.

If you have the money... then you have to decide want to get by with now, vs the obvious to some of us ... what is here now, what is coming (announced) and the rest is guessing. If you are going to struggle to eat, pay the rent and put gas in your car. Be practical. If you want the one device you will likely use nearly all the time and the extra $600 won't hurt your budget, then you have to again, decide. It is always your choice. For us, it is iPAD2. I have a mac mini, a 4 year old PC laptop, a Windows 7 tower I built (haven't used since I got the mac mini). The iPAD2 is a gift to my wife ... no Windows OS complications, viruses, etc. The iPAD just works, with your finger, you know the rest.

Last edited:
OP
E

eyepad2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup I am with you. I am going to eat a steak tonight and have an ipad2 (thank God) I have the ability! So I will go for it and probably keep the Samsung as well and eventually give it to a family member etc...

Thanks for the advice and logic.

jhood2323

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

Want and will buy the ipad2 today but its pricey with all elements. Getting cold feet when I do the math. I do want it but not sure if I should when I have a tablet already.

$729 ipad2 verizon 3g
$39 smart case
$50 hdmi out
$70 apple care
$80 tax

$968

I already have a samsung galaxy tab I got from Costco for $289 just not sure if its worth the upgrade for me. I have a macbook already as well.
Maybe I should get the wifi 16g instead of the 3g to keep the cost down?

take back the tab get your 300 back and aim for a 16 gb wifi only 32 if you need more space and tether with your smart phone for free. If you have an android download an app can my wifi or just search the market for wifi and dozen with pop up, or get an LG optimus V from target for 130 with $20 gift card.Your monthly bill would be 25 unlimited data with 3g speeds up to 3.5 gigs. This is too replace your current phone but to give you mobile hotspot to tether off of.And beside the pad you don't really need that stuff right now.Smart cover , just get a walmart netbook full body zipper bag for $10.HDMI can wait .Apple care isn't the best protection plan out there .I would research each retailers warranty package before buying apple care.I just saved you $400 of the rip, You welcome

Most reactions

Latest posts