What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! I've bricked my iPad I think!

chrislamuk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right guys your help is needed. Earlier today I ran the Spirit program on my iPad and jail broke it, my intention was to run multitasking software on it, so initially I downloaded Backgrounder, then tried Multiflow but it didn't work for me for some reason. I then tried Kirakae (sp?!)

This after trying to run some programs in the background the iPad froze, so I turned it off and back on again. On powering up the icons on the home screen were smaller than normal, I could not rotate the home screen whatsoever, it seemed to think it was an iPod or something. I opened Cydia to try an uninstall Kirakae but could not press any of the button on the bottom eg the "Manage" button so could not install it.

Next I tried to restore the iPad back to OS 3.2 but each time it finished restoring it reverted back to the original situation ie the Ipad unlocked and unable to uninstall any programs.

Does anybody have any idea of what is going on?

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
If you have a respring app installed that may fix it, or if you have sbsettings installed you should be able to respring the springboard to get it out of ipod mode. Here is how to perform a restore and get it back to factory settings.

Connect the iPad to the computer and have iTunes open.

Hold the sleep/wake button and the Home button at the same time and count to 10.

after you have counted to 10, release the sleep/wakebutton while continuing to hold the home button.

the iPad will restart and itunes should say it found and iPad in DFU mode. you can then click in itunes to perform a restore.

if it doesnt restart in DFU mode the first time, repeat the first step and counting to ten since it needs to be timed right.

Last edited:

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Right on to Mike's excellent post above.... This is why before anyone JB they should be sure to do a complete sync/back of their device in iTunes. That way on the off chance something screws up, they can get back to the condition their iPad was in right before the JB.....

Nothing wrong with Jail Breaking your iPad, just realize it can mess up, so cover your a$$.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you check to see if your apps that you downloaded were approved for the iPad?

Ominx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you check to see if your apps that you downloaded were approved for the iPad?

+1
Hope you get your iPad restored.
But people should know there is a giant disclaimer on the front page of Cydia. Read it. Not all iPhone apps are iPad ready. You may want to visit some of the forums (this link would be said forums) that discuss Cydia Apps before installing.

LAC_STS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so when your Ipad gets where it has little icons and basically looks like a giant Ipod touch you need to respring it which can be a PITA if you don't know how.

The easiest way I have found is to go into settings and change the language. This will make it respring. then when it resprings it will not be in giant Ipod touch mode and you can then change the language back.

So try that.

If you get into the situation where you cant restore your Ipad then try running spirit again.

If that doesn't work then turn your Ipad off, HOLD the home button while plugging it into your computer with Itunes open.

Keep holding the home button until Itunes opens and says it has found a device in recovery mode. Then continue to restore it.

Basically the reason you got the giant Ipod touch mode is because you installed a jailbroken program that was not compatible with the Ipad. This is why you have to look at the various compatibility lists and only install apps that are 100% compatible.

wdpower

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a simular problem the other day. MyWi made mine run like a juiced iPod/iPhone. I did notice the bottom quarter of the screen was inop.

I did a restore with iTunes and was all set.

saharhlb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so when your Ipad gets where it has little icons and basically looks like a giant Ipod touch you need to respring it which can be a PITA if you don't know how.

The easiest way I have found is to go into settings and change the language. This will make it respring. then when it resprings it will not be in giant Ipod touch mode and you can then change the language back.

So try that.

If you get into the situation where you cant restore your Ipad then try running spirit again.

If that doesn't work then turn your Ipad off, HOLD the home button while plugging it into your computer with Itunes open.

Keep holding the home button until Itunes opens and says it has found a device in recovery mode. Then continue to restore it.

Basically the reason you got the giant Ipod touch mode is because you installed a jailbroken program that was not compatible with the Ipad. This is why you have to look at the various compatibility lists and only install apps that are 100% compatible.
Hey LAC STS,

Your suggestion to change the language worked perfectly for me. I tried everything and I almost restored my ipad to 3.2.1 and lost my jailbreak... Thanks so much, you saved me...

Timmah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just so you know, the reason multi flow did not work is because it isn't compadibile with the system. I don't know why in the sticky that it says that multi flow is compatible, because it says in the description that it does not work...

Most reactions

Latest posts