What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP? Do i JB 5.0.1 then save blobs, then stitch & upgrade to 5.1.1 ?

xlr8r

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all

I have aquired an iPad 2 with 5.0.1 IOS

i want to JB but am not sure the correct way to go about it as at the end, i want to have 5.1.1

So, do i JB 5.0.1 then save blobs, stitch blobs to 5.1.1 and upgrade to 5.1.1 ?

could someone direct me to a 100% working guide for doing this?

or, should i not bother updating to 5.1.1 at all, is there any real benefit ?

many thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now that Apple is no longer signing (approving) iOS 5.1.1, the only way to upgrade to it on an iPad2 is if you have BOTH the SHSH blobs for iOS 4 (any version) AND iOS 5.1.1. Otherwise, it's impossible to upgrade to that iOS.

So, do you have the blobs?

Marilyn

P.S. And, since you talk about a jail broken iPad, I've taken the liberty of moving your post over to the Hacking section. Thanks for your understanding.

Last edited:
OP
X

xlr8r

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now that Apple is no longer signing (approving) iOS 5.1.1, the only way to upgrade to it on an iPad2 is if you have BOTH the SHSH blobs for iOS 4 (any version) AND iOS 5.1.1. Otherwise, it's impossible to upgrade to that iOS.

So, do you have the blobs?

Marilyn

P.S. And, since you talk about a jail broken iPad, I've taken the liberty of moving your post over to the Hacking section. Thanks for your understanding.

no, its a "virgin" Ipad 2 untouched with IOS 5.0.1. is it still possible to save the blobs from it without it being JB ? or do i have to JB first to get the blobs ?

thanks

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
xlr8r said:
no, its a "virgin" Ipad 2 untouched with IOS 5.0.1. is it still possible to save the blobs from it without it being JB ? or do i have to JB first to get the blobs ?

thanks

I'm afraid that in that case there is no way for you to upgrade to iOS 5.1.1. The only upgrade possible for you is iOS 6.0.1.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's possible to save blobs without jailbreaking, but that's only if the iOS is still being signed. Once the signing window has closed, you can't save them manually anymore. The only way to retrieve blobs when the window has closed is through Cydia, which requires you to be jailbroken and have accessed Cydia at least once during the signing window. From what I'm getting at, you're trying to jailbreak your device on 5.0.1 in hopes to get the 5.1.1 blobs from Cydia. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that. You have to be jailbroken at the time when the iOS is being signed in order for Cydia to save them for you. If you jailbreak it now, the only blobs that'll show up will be 6.0.1, and potentially 4.3.X if it's on your device.

For a bit more in-depth or maybe even a more simpler explanation, check out @f4780y (Leigh)'s SHSH FAQ here

Last edited:
OP
X

xlr8r

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks for all the help guys

i will stick to JB 5.0.1

Most reactions

Latest posts