What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help a newbie! Ipad and Apple TV.

Amigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all!Let me start by saiyng this is in awesome community and I'm glad to finally be a part of it (new member).:p

I'm a little bit confused about this and I was counting on you guys to clear me out.

I am a happy owner of an iPad (3rd) and I want to be able to stream media content from the iPad to the TV,mostly YouTube videos and music in FLAC 16/44,using 3rd party apps such as FLAC Player.Is this possible?Will a (jaibroken?) Apple TV (3rd) be able to do that?I'm interested in stereo only so I will disable the Dolby Digital function found in the Apple TV.

I also want to add an external DAC (CA DacMagic 100) to the Apple TV and connect it to the amplifier.Here's a paint sketch of what I have in mind:

Untitled.jpg
Can someone please confirm me if any of this is correct?If not,please feel free to recommend me some alternatives.

Thank you in advance!:)

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First off, the Apple TV ver 3 cannot be jailbroken yet, vers 1 and 2 can be JB'd. You should be able to output the audio thru the toslink output to your DAC and on to your PreAmp. The ATV can play 16/48 streams, To play YouTube all you need is the ATV, YouTube is built in and works fine while sending the sound and picture to your Receiver, PreAmp, or TV. Your iPad can control the ATV with the Apple "Remote" (free) app. As for FLAC it looks like that should work with an app, however the reviews of the "FLAC Player"'s newest versions doesn't look too promising. There are several format converters on the net, you could convert the FLAC's to AIFF (lossless) and play them thru your ATV easily using Music player on your iPad.

OP
Amigo

Amigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the info,Pacobear!It really helped me!:)

One more question,if I convert the files to AIFF will the sound quality be affected?I read on the web about this and some say no some say yes :confused:.

Pocobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the info,Pacobear!It really helped me!:)One more question,if I convert the files to AIFF will the sound quality be affected?I read on the web about this and some say no some say yes :confused:.
Considering you are sending it from an iPad @16/44khz or 16/48khz, and that AIFF is lossless, no you won't be able to hear any difference, as the iPad just isn't that good at audio anyway. I have converted FLAC to AIFF at up to 24/192khz and can't hear any difference on a high end stereo, using bit perfect processing. I use a MAC Mini with a USB to SPIF adapter and send the signal to the DAC. I use iTunes with a program called Pure Music, these output a bit perfect data stream to the DAC up to 24/192khz. The sound is astounding. Check out Pure Music at channld(dot)com/puremusic/ if your interested. It's the only reason I own a MAC, well worth it. Only if you have a decent stereo system to begin with and love music reproduced almost perfectly.

Most reactions

Latest posts