What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad to Apple TV to Airport Express

TJuulsgaard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. Just bought myself the Apple TV 2 to watch the BBC Iplayer App on the big screen. It works great. i have an older Bang and Olufsen sound system which doesnt have optical audio. So I cant connect the apple tv sound directly to it without using some kind of converter. However i would need costly cables too, so the airport express may be the better and slicker solution. We all want "slick", right...

One thing worries me... Wil I be able to stream video from my ipad to the apple tv and then make the apple tv send it to the airport express at the same time? This is two streams simultaneously.

Thanks in advance.

Thomas, Denmark.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am in the same situation and was able to purchase a TOSLink (optical) cable + optical/RCA converter for AUD $80. It cost 2/3rds the price of the ATV but does the job quite well.

As graywolf said, you obviously get sound via HDMI when watching video, but this let's you play music without turning the TV on.

Last edited:
OP
T

TJuulsgaard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
exactly, I want to be able to play music without having the tv turned on.
Thats not the problem though, i could solve that with the airplay express, but I want to get the sound through the soundsystem, while streaming the video from the ipad to the apple tv.

Maybe a converteris the only option.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thats not the problem though, i could solve that with the airplay express, but I want to get the sound through the soundsystem, while streaming the video from the ipad to the apple tv.

Every tv I have ever seen has audio out. So, audio and video goes through hdmi into the tv, and audio comes out of the tv and goes to sound system.
Thing is though, my tv only has optical out. But my sound system has optical in. So it's not a problem for me.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I get sound, via HDMI, when watching video from the iPad and audio via TOSLink, when playing music only. All that I need to do is switch the amplifier input accordingly.

There did seem to be a bug with ATV when I first tried this. To get audio via TOSLink I had to turn the TV on momentarily. That seemed to get fixed when one of the firmware upgrades.

I did try AirPort Express because of this bug. It gets VERY hot compared tonATV which hardly heats up at all. You can leave ATV on permanent standby without much concern but not so with AirPort Express. It would also cost more than the optical cable and converter.

Last edited:

Most reactions