What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mirroring ipad 3 to hd tv

Richlizard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all.

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but I am fairly new to posting.

I have searched the internet for this specific answer but whilst getting snippets of information I can't seem to find the actual answer so wonder if one of you bright sparks here might be able to help.

I want to 'mirror' my ipad 3 onto my HDTV so that I see anything on my ipad reflected on the TV.

I began searching and it seemed the answer was simple at first. Just get an HDMI adaptor and connect the two? You could even charge the ipad at the same time. But then I realised of course that this would mean you would need to be sat right next to the TV navigating the ipad for it to reflect on the TV. This kind of defeated the object as I wanted to watch the TV from a distance so may as well just watch the ipad.

So I then tried to look into wireless options and of course Apple TV seemed to be the answer... but you could only watch from itunes or other certain sites. I don't want that restriction, I just want to mirror what is on my ipad. Not only that, but the Apple TV is horrendously expensive compared to a little HDMI adaptor.

I then seemed to stumble across another answer. My ipad 3 is jailbroken. I saw many responses that said that what I wanted to do is not possible on an UNjailbroken ipad. But they did not go on to say what the answer was for a jailbroken ipad!!

So rather than just keep googling (I did try hard, honest) I thought why not just ask the question direct to a site where I have been a member for a few years. Somebody here surely has resolved this?

I look forward to any helpful replies. Please go easy on me.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually, the HMDI adaptor plus 15ft HDMI cable is expensive compared to ATV, for what you get, IMO.

IME, the only things you can't mirror to the TV are for those apps that restrict it, like HBO Go. Most other things, like games, and any apps or movies you play on your iPad, will play just fine. For the few apps that restrict mirroring, you can just watch those on your iPad.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Actually, the HMDI adaptor plus 15ft HDMI cable is expensive compared to ATV, for what you get, IMO.

IME, the only things you can't mirror to the TV are for those apps that restrict it, like HBO Go. Most other things, like games, and any apps or movies you play on your iPad, will play just fine. For the few apps that restrict mirroring, you can just watch those on your iPad.

Agreed. I have the VGA cable plus the VGA adapter which mirrors a treat. Straight up you need the genuine adapter either HDMI or VGA (note VGA is picture only), plus a run of cable. Here in Australia, the genuine adapters are $35 each, then you need the cable. HDMI is expensive enough for a standard length cable, but a decent run for viewing back on a lounge would put it well over the price of an AppleTV. The VGA cables are a little cheaper, but I would still consider the AppleTV if I had to go more than 10 meters.

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:

If you buy it in stores, it may be as expensive as an apple tv. newegg.com has hdmi cables for less than 20$ and the adapter is around 35$ if I am correct. Significantly less than Apple TV. Found a 15 foot hdmi cable for 8$ on there (not sure if I can post the link, so I won't)

But regardless, I have the hdmi adapter and hdmi cable, and it's kind of a pain if you move around a lot. The hdmi adapter is kind of thick compared to the thinness of the iPad, and if you accidentally tap the bottom part with little force, the hdmi adapter slightly disconnects. This may just be me because I move around a lot with it, but I'm just informing you of my situation.

OP
R

Richlizard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I am certainly not needing anything over 10m. It is actually only for watching movies with my girlfriend from either the comfort of my bed or the comfort of the sofa.

So if HDMI works from a distance of say 12 feet, I am more than happy to give that a go?

Most reactions

Latest posts