What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello

myannon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. Im Mike from Arizona. I've been an iPad owner for almost 2 yrs. I love it but I have quite a few app icons that I just can not remove. I've tried the hold and wiggle thing literally hundreds of times to no avail. I've had other iPad users try it, also to no avail. I've read it takes a certain finesse but have tried every conceivable variation and again, nada! Is there a way to enable this process that I'm missing? Please help!

Thanks

OP
M

myannon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Forgive me, clearly, I did not follow forum rules or read anything before posting. My title, Hello, is not helpful. I'm hoping we can consider this a lesson well-learned but

OP
M

myannon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
myannon said:
Forgive me, clearly, I did not follow forum rules or read anything before posting. My title, Hello, is not helpful. I'm hoping we can consider this a lesson well-learned but

perhaps I can still get some help?

OP
M

myannon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
myannon said:

please help nevertheless!

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Mike and welcome.

Yes, it's true. Meaningful titles help, but we still attempt to get to everyone in the end.

Not sure what's going on here. Are you trying to delete apps like Newsstand that are supplied with the iPad? If so, its not possible. Native apps can't be deleted.

Otherwise, the long press and touch the "x" should work. If you still can't get it to work, it's over to iTunes. Plug your iPad in with a USB cable. Click on the name of the iPad in the iTunes sidebar. Then go to the apps tab. You can deselect apps that you want to remove, hit SYNC and they will disappear. Again, this won't work for native apps.

Best thing to do with any of those that you don't want to look at is chuck 'em in a folder on the last page of your home screen. Don't try this with newsstand because if wont work. The reason for this is that Newsstand is a folder, and you can't have a folder within a folder.

Last edited:
OP
M

myannon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kevin, thank you. The app icons in question are mostly demos that came with the iPad, the trial period is over and they are taking up two full pages of apps. I'll give the second solution a go. I've never gotten the screen to shake, as I've seen numerous times from friends and YouTube. Thanks again.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have hold of an ex-demo iPad. I've heard of this once or twice. Normally iPads are sold clean, with just the native apps in place. If this is indeed the case, you might be better off doing a Restore, and starting with a clean slate.

You will have to input everything from scratch, but at least then it will function as it is intended to.

OP
M

myannon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Sounds like you have hold of an ex-demo iPad. I've heard of this once or twice. Normally iPads are sold clean, with just the native apps in place. If this is indeed the case, you might be better off doing a Restore, and starting with a clean slate.

You will have to input everything from scratch, but at least then it will function as it is intended to.

Thanks Kevin. If I do, will I have to back up iTunes and other such things? And I think you're right, since I got this from a job I had and this was to be used as a demo,

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have your AppleID on this iPad, or are you just using it as it was supplied?

OP
M

myannon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure. Thinking I'm using it as supplied. Is there a way to tell? Sorry I'm such a noob...

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No problem. I'll assume you haven't input your AppleID, and in that case haven't made an purchases.

I'll run you through setting up iTunes and the iPad, but please bear in mind I'm going to have to do a lot of it from memory, as I'm away from my PC.

When we are done, you will have your iPad set up to communicate with your computer, the iTunes Store and if you want, the iCloud.

Give me about 20 minutes while I go and grab a coffee, and if I've made any assumptions that are not right, just let me know. If anything is not clear, I can give you annotated screenshots.

OP
M

myannon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
No problem. I'll assume you haven't input your AppleID, and in that case haven't made an purchases.

I'll run you through setting up iTunes and the iPad, but please bear in mind I'm going to have to do a lot of it from memory, as I'm away from my PC.

When we are done, you will have your iPad set up to communicate with your computer, the iTunes Store and if you want, the iCloud.

Give me about 20 minutes while I go and grab a coffee, and if I've made any assumptions that are not right, just let me know. If anything is not clear, I can give you annotated screenshots.

When you put it that way, I do have my AppleID. I've made several purchases. Also, I'm just getting ready to head out. If it's not a terrible inconvenience, perhaps you would be so kind as to leave me instructions on how to proceed? If not, maybe we could continue this tomorrow? Thanks again, Kevin. I do appreciate your time and patience.

Sincerely,
Mike

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
myannon said:
When you put it that way, I do have my AppleID. I've made several purchases. Also, I'm just getting ready to head out. If it's not a terrible inconvenience, perhaps you would be so kind as to leave me instructions on how to proceed? If not, maybe we could continue this tomorrow? Thanks again, Kevin. I do appreciate your time and patience.

Sincerely,
Mike

No problem. OK. I'm always here. This kind of thing is better done in the evening while I can keep my train of thought together. I'm on Mountain Time which is 7 hours behind GMT. We can try to find time tomorrow or over the weekend.

Most reactions

Latest posts