What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello...need advice

Kayayem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post. Lurked a while, decided I wanted your guy's opinion.

My iPad2 is running 7.4, and I am now starting to get the message "This app requires iOS 8.0" when trying to install some apps. So, my question... should I update to the new and shiny 9.0?

Yes, I realize it's older hardware, but until now has been fine and does everything I need it to do. I see no real reason to spend $ on a new device that will do the same.

I see some people saying iPad2 is trash on 9.0, some saying it's great. Thoughts?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My iPad2 is running 7.4, and I am now starting to get the message "This app requires iOS 8.0" when trying to install some apps. So, my question... should I update to the new and shiny 9.0?

Yes, I realize it's older hardware, but until now has been fine and does everything I need it to do. I see no real reason to spend $ on a new device that will do the same.

I see some people saying iPad2 is trash on 9.0, some saying it's great. Thoughts?

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) If you want to continue to use the iPad 2 and also have needed apps that require iOS 8 or 9 now, then you have little choice except to upgrade your operating system or buy a new iPad.

There are plenty of threads in this forum discussing the upgrade issue w/ older iDevices and much on the web, e.g. read this Mcworld Article carefully and fully. You are making a major 2 version jump to iOS 9 and most would recommend doing this cabled to a computer using iTunes - do you have iTunes on a Mac or PC? Do you have a backup of your iPad 2 (either to the cloud and/or to a computer - I have both) - so, the first steps are: 1) Backup your iPad, as suggested; and 2) Use iTunes w/ a cabled connection.

Please return w/ further questions and others may have suggestions. Problems can still occur or all will go smoothly - I don't own a crystal ball - ;) Good luck - Dave

OP
Kayayem

Kayayem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) If you want to continue to use the iPad 2 and also have needed apps that require iOS 8 or 9 now, then you have little choice except to upgrade your operating system or buy a new iPad.

There are plenty of threads in this forum discussing the upgrade issue w/ older iDevices and much on the web, e.g. read this Mcworld Article carefully and fully. You are making a major 2 version jump to iOS 9 and most would recommend doing this cabled to a computer using iTunes - do you have iTunes on a Mac or PC? Do you have a backup of your iPad 2 (either to the cloud and/or to a computer - I have both) - so, the first steps are: 1) Backup your iPad, as suggested; and 2) Use iTunes w/ a cabled connection.

Please return w/ further questions and others may have suggestions. Problems can still occur or all will go smoothly - I don't own a crystal ball - ;) Good luck - Dave

Thanks for the reply Giradman! I'm not new to iOS, so I know to avoid OTA updates for several reasons. I guess what I'm asking is, in your opinion, is it worth upgrading to have access to some apps. I realize it'll be a trade-off, but at some point the drawbacks may outway benefit. I;m just wondering if I have reached that point. That's hy I never updated to 8.X because that was almost unanimously hated of iPad2. I have seen mixed reviews regarding iPad2 and iOS9...

I also feel like in some cases the "This app requires iOS 8.0 or higher" is somewhat of a "scam" (for want of a better word). For example, I am not able to install the current version of MS Powerpoint without getting this message. However, I had already installed Word and Excell, and I am able to update them to the current version and they function properly. So, why can't I install the current PPT but Word works fine? Seems odd.

I have 2 iPad 2s running iOS 9 and both are running as good if not slightly better than on iOS 8.4

I have seen that very comment a lot. I also know iOS8 8.X was terrible on iPad2. Course tho, back when the iPad2 went from 6.X to 7.0 people said how bad it was but I never experienced it... In my case, as Giradman said, I'm jumping 2 full generation of iOS. At what point am I better off...if that make sense.

I would go into my rant about Apple's Nazi-ish ferver regarding downgrading, but I'll save that for another time. :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are feeling cautious, wait a bit longer for a point update or two, and see how it's going. Every OS has gotten a bit better over time and updates, especially on the older devices.

But as Giradman said, if you need to use your iPad with newer apps, you have little choice but to take the leap, eventually.

As for me, despite Apples continuing support for the device, I no longer consider the iPad 2 a viable device for anything but casual games and light media consumption.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
But as Giradman said, if you need to use your iPad with newer apps, you have little choice but to take the leap, eventually.

As for me, despite Apples continuing support for the device, I no longer consider the iPad 2 a viable device for anything but casual games and light media consumption.

@ Kayayem - many of us here had/have iPad 2s (bought mine in spring 2011 and replaced in Nov-Dec 2014 w/ an iPad Air 2) - I upgraded the old iPad 2 to iOS 8.x (forget how far I went?) w/o a problem; so, as already said, if you need to use 'newer' apps and want to stick w/ the old device, then not much choice for you.

But, I agree w/ TP's comment above in bold - the iPad 2 is nearly a 5 y/o machine and much in hardware/software has changed, so may be time for you to 'move on' if using the iPad for reasons that are critical to your needs - but, just my 2 cents. Good luck - Dave :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts