What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Having trouble finding value in my iPad -- about to return...

Status
Not open for further replies.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So... Am I missing something? Or is this just not the right product for me and I should return it and pay the $50 restocking fee?

One of the great things about the iPad is that while it's in demand, you're pretty much getting a risk-free trial; it's good that you're deciding quickly that it's not for you and moving on. You could probably sell it on for retail, seeing how people are asking more than that in some venues.

Hopefully your post will provide a data point to someone else considering the purchase, and will prove helpful if they've got similar usage patterns.

Dr.Gee

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I love to call BS.I bet the poster doesnt even own an ipad.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What?! He thought jail breaking could make flash running?

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The man just wants some insight geez all you bashing him for no reason ei. Guy bashing evo bat. (lol) the iPad is just an accessory for tech geeks to own it does everything any other device does except for exclusive apps. Man keep it it docent seem to hold much value cause so many things are similar. Sometimes you just need the huge portable screen and ease of the iPad. It's a convenient divice I love iPad had it since it's been out. Buuuuttttt y'all need to understand NOT EVERYONE IS GOING TO THINK IPAD IS THE BEST THING EVER! Instead of hatting on him try to convince him like intelligent people.
This post is almost an incomprehensible mess but I understand the point you're trying to make...

However, why would we try to convince someone to like a product? He came on here just looking for validation for his disdain for the product he liked. Well he should have done it on the Evo forums where a lot of people probably hate Apple products because I doubt you're going to find too many sympathizers on a forum full of iPad users.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This guy is either a troll or an idiot.

He's a troll if he doesn't even own an iPad and is just bashing it. We seen this type of tied before. Nothing new.

On the other hand, why would anyone buy an expensive device without doing a bit of RESEARCH about it? At least look at in the store, or read some reviews dude.

I have owned mine for a month and a 1/2, and I still marvel at. One of the best devices that I have ever had. About a week ago I found a site in flash that I wanted look at, when I was not new a computer. It was one of those on line magazine type sites done in flash (hotshootingmagazine.com). So I could not read it on the iPad. Guess what, it sucks on a deaktop as well. Loads so slow, you forget the reason for loading it in the first place. On line magazines in flash are the stupidest thing going.

Dude, sell it on bay, you will probably make more then, you paid.

OP
A

akdms

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I actually do own an iPad. I pre-ordered it prior to the Evo. Yes, I did do research into and knew full and well its limitations (ie, flash). No, I am not trolling or trying to bash the iPad. I owned an iPhone and would still own it if it weren't for AT&T. Although I wasn't expecting a revolutionary leap that the iPhone was, I was still expecting something great. As someone pointed out though -- the apps make the device, and right now my springboard is very bare, for the reasons I've already mentioned.

I was asking for advice here because I have another week left to return it and wanted to see if I was missing something. My mistake. Sorry...

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well how do you expect us to help you? Do you want us to name apps or features or what? I mean, I can recommend apps that I use, but you are not me...so they may be useless to you.

MLimtiaco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too have had trouble finding productive things to do with our iPad - but I still consider it so new to the game that many of the things it will do are things I haven't discovered yet (I'm still not browsing news via RSS yet), or the apps haven't been developed yet (still waiting for that digital music paper for composing). My family loves using it for exactly the things it was designed to do well - check E-mail, watch videos, play games, browse the web. I consider it an investment, and one that'll take several months to really play out. So perhaps, if you're on the border, that's the attitude to have. Otherwise, your argument against keeping it makes sense to me. Good luck to you.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Watching videos, reading books, and occasionally doing simple internet related things like checking email on a really thin device with a battery that lasts forever sells it for me. All the apps, games, etc come handy after the fact and just add to the appeal.

My iPad is almost constantly around. While I'm playing Dragon Age on the computer, if I have a question about a spell, I go to the iPad sitting next to me. If I'm watching a movie and recognize an actor but can't remember where I've seen him or her before, I pick up the iPad and check IMDb. If I need to look something up on Wiki I use the iPad if I'm not at my desk. If I'm bored at a doc's appointment, or sitting in a waiting room of any kind, I use the iPad to watch a movie or play a game or anything. If I'm traveling I use the video player almost non-stop. If my wife is home we might do a crossword together or play a game of scrabble in bed before we go to sleep. If I have to take a crap, I take the iPad with me in the morning and read the news via my RSS feed app.

That's the value I place in it.

xiutian

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you first bought it, what were the purposes you were hoping the iPad would fulfill?

My main purpose was to play the games (Angry Birds, Doodle Jump, point and click games like Broken Sword), Scrabble Party Play is really cool BTW :p. I also use it to read comics but wouldn't use it as an e reader.

I own a Nexus One and the games mostly can't compare (although there are a few nice ones on Android e.g Totemo, Speed Forge, Armageddon Squadron). I use my Nexus for the phone (of cos), Twitter, wifi hot spot. I don't use it for email since I'm rarely away from my office computer at work. I use my laptop to play games on Facebook.

If it isn't fulfilling the purposes that you envisioned it would, then I say return it.

Abrennan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.eyepadulation.com
i think it ok

I think it is perfectly ok not to find it useful and to return it. Some people like it some people don't. I don't like celery, lots of people like celery.

mslammers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
If you take digital photos [or do you still use film?], then the iPad [mine is still in the pipeline, arrival OOA 1 Jul] is probably one of the best display devices. It will load RAW, JPEG and wow your family. It also will display HD video [I do have a HF S21 HD camcorder and 5D Mk II DSLR along with 40D, S90, and other digital cameras]. I expect to make good use of my iPad even if I never use WiFi or browse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions