What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Having trouble finding value in my iPad -- about to return...

Status
Not open for further replies.

akdms

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So, I finally got an iPad (16gb wifi) a few days ago. I also picked up an Evo last weekend, with plans on shortly rooting for free wifi tethering. If I keep the iPad I plan on jailbreaking it (I had a iPhone 3GS last year and jailbreaking was very worth it imo).

I didn't really believe all the hype, but felt that I could find enough value to justify the purchase, especially since it would replace my Kindle (2nd gen) which I could sell for ~$200. Problem is, I just don't see $300 more in value. Am I missing something?

Web browsing can be fun, but several times I've run into sites that I need to send to my laptop to view (flash), and isn't that much better of an experience than on the Evo (smaller screen, but Android browser automatically fit text to the screen size so it doesn't run over when you zoom in so it's actually pretty functional). Games are fun, but are very expensive, especially seeing as they are the equivalent to free flash games on the PC (or, in some cases -- Wesnoth -- ARE free games on the PC). Email I do on my Evo. Calendar I do on my Evo. Pandora and podcasts I do on my Evo. RSS reading is nice on the iPad, but NewsRob on the Evo is more functional than anything I've found so far on the iPad... And to make matters worse there's no return period in the App Store like on the Android Market, so I'm out the money every time I buy something and I find out it doesn't do what I want.

So far the only other uses I've found for the iPad is reading PDFs, which I do a lot for work, watching Netflix, and setting up the iPad as a second monitor once it's available for the PC. But that doesn't add up to spending $300 over the selling price of the Kindle.

So... Am I missing something? Or is this just not the right product for me and I should return it and pay the $50 restocking fee?

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like all you need is your Evo. It's a wonder you didn't realize that before buying the iPad.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you force trying to justify an iPad, you will fail. You don't need an iPod, just tune in a radio. You don't need a big screen TV if you already have an old one. And as long as your repair costs do not exceed the price of car payment, you do not need a new car.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, what's the point of the thread? Return the iPad if you don't want it. Do you need our approval to do so or did you just come here to start trouble/complain?

I am a huge Android phone fan, and I would never own an Evo. The phone's battery is a piece of shit. Watch a full movie, listen to music for two hours, or play some of those crappy games for two hours on your Evo and see where your battery stands...

I've been using my iPad for two days now without a recharge, including watching a movie, playing games, surfing the net, downloading apps, and using a bunch of apps, and I'm still at 68%. I know for a fact with any real use equivalent to what I do on my iPad your Evo would barely make it though a work day.

so if you're satisfied, why do you need to convince us of your decision? Go return the iPad so someone else can get it used or refurbed or repackaged or whatever.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For me, it's apps, apps and more apps. The major advantage to the Apple ecosystem is that there is SO much you can do with the iDevices. If you just want to browse, there are cheaper ways.

FrostyFire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When people ask me about the iPad, one of the comments I always use is, "The Apps are really what make the device awesome."

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For me the primary selling point was the movie player. I travel a lot, and before I was watching my movies on a tiny Archos 5 with 250GB of storage...but the device itself was pretty crappy.

Now I have branched out into games, surfing, a little music, potentially note taking if I can find a good app for lefties, research, document storage, etc.

lennywc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Come on now, you can not in all seriousness compare the crappy android apps to the iPhone/iPad apps! I have a droid and I have given up on trying to find an app that is not a POS. I use my droid as a wifi hot spot for my iPad and of course as a phone. How in the he'll can you even compare an EVO with an Ipad? Your post must be some kind of test or you are just pulling our legs. Flash games? What a joke! Oh and the Evo fits the microscopic text to the screen ? Oh , how wonderfull (That just gives me the shudders and goose bumps) Hello, you do know that you can resize the text with a two finger gesture? Sounds like you don't even own an iPad . No one who has used an iPad would make that resizing comparison. Please , go buy one then come back and tell us of your expierence.

Last edited:

Bogy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It sounds like its not the right product for you, and you should return it. For myself, I've had my iPad for 9 days and am very pleased with it. I went to a conference last Friday and Saturday held on a university campus. Once I had their wi/fi access codes I was good to go. I used Note Taker HD to take notes, Dropbox to access documents I had prepared at home, was able to access a paper and PowerPoint slides a workshop leader emailed me, checked on weather/radar reports, played a few games during boring parts of meetings, read a book, watched some videos, and did some research on topics raised in workshops. I also answered a lot of questions from people wanting to know how I liked my iPad, and what kind of things I did with it. I did not even bother bringing along my laptop, and never missed it. I could have done some of the things listed previously on my phone, but it was easier on the iPad, especially with my old, tired eyes. But that is my experience, if you don't find it useful, by all means, dump it.

Ghuda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seems like a hater, no big deal, I love my IPad. I was an early adopter like many on this site and have just enjoyed using it for all of the things it was designed to do.

I am in sales, want to pass me your number so I can show you some industrial software I am sure you don't need? I could use the sale.........

Itzxdjx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The man just wants some insight geez all you bashing him for no reason ei. Guy bashing evo bat. (lol) the iPad is just an accessory for tech geeks to own it does everything any other device does except for exclusive apps. Man keep it it docent seem to hold much value cause so many things are similar. Sometimes you just need the huge portable screen and ease of the iPad. It's a convenient divice I love iPad had it since it's been out. Buuuuttttt y'all need to understand NOT EVERYONE IS GOING TO THINK IPAD IS THE BEST THING EVER! Instead of hatting on him try to convince him like intelligent people.

Ghuda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you ever seen the SNL sketch where they are playing Jeapardy? Will Farrell was Alex Trebeck, and one of the other guys was playing Sean Connery. One episode "Sean" called himself "Turd Furgeson".

In our house this just brought on lots of laughter, possibly because we are somewhat juvenile, but it has since come to portray just negative, whiney, unpleasant people who sometimes look to others to bring them down from something they find enjoyable.....

So I submit that while I do not know you personally, you are quite possibly today's, Turd Furgeson!

Just enjoy it for what it was designed to do.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is interesting what is an issue and what is not for many. So many people gripe about the lack of Flash, even tho it had been well covered and discussed before the first one was sold. Then the gripes about the pulling of limitless 3G service. Both of these are non issues with me. I do not like flash, and wish more would dump it. I hate seeing the service plans get changed so soon, but it happens sometimes with a all-you-can-eat buffett that you find the few could bankrupt you unless the prices are increased/or the number of refills are reduced.

My biggest gripe right now is when I try to download an app and get told it is too big forr 3G. Then I have to wait for the next wifi fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts