What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Having a problem with imessage and facetime

bryce527

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey so I have an iPad 2 and also an iPhone 4s. I have set up iMessage on the iPad 2 where it receives at my email, and I did the same for FaceTime. On my iPhone I have iMessage and FaceTime set up to receive at my phone number and also the same email I used for my iPad 2. The problem occurs when a friend of mine using her iPod touch to iMessage me or using FaceTime to call me. Her contact is sending at an email address since she is using her iPod but I believe she has been messaging and calling me at my email because they both go to my iPad 2 and my iPhone but when she called me the other day on FaceTime I didn't receive the call on my phone it went to my iPad which was not with me. Later I received a notification of a missed FaceTime call on my iPhone. But it never rang for me to answer. I keep telling her to just iMessage and call me at my phone number so then it would only go to my phone, she says she does do that, but its still going to my iPad as well.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Bryce welcome to the forum!

Let me see if I understand your email correctly...It sounds to me like the facetime is only set for the email assigned on your ipad. Go back to your ipad settings/facetime and check to see if your phone email is the one listed to receive facetime messages. You can add multiple email address-making one specific to your phone.

I don't own an iphone, buy do own an ipod touch (4th gen) and have received imessage and facetime to and from my ipad and from others with ios5 devices. There appears to be no delay when it arrives. Both messages comes in immediately. I am not sure why yours is coming in later.

Sorry, if I misunderstood based on what you have described.

OP
B

bryce527

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks and I think you nailed it. The email address on my iPad and on my iPhone is the same email. So if the person I messaging me or face timing me uses my email I expect it show up on both at the same time since they both receive at that email. But with the FaceTime my phone never rang for me to answer. Assuming my iPad did though but I wasn't near it.

Svenster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks and I think you nailed it. The email address on my iPad and on my iPhone is the same email. So if the person I messaging me or face timing me uses my email I expect it show up on both at the same time since they both receive at that email. But with the FaceTime my phone never rang for me to answer. Assuming my iPad did though but I wasn't near it.

I'll defer to others more knowledgable, but if your phone was not connected to wifi when your friend FaceTime you, the phone will not respond and is probably why you didn't get the missed FaceTime notice until your phone was later connected to wifi. My understanding is FaceTime only works when connected via wifi.

Sent from my iPad 2 3G using Tapatalk

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Give it a try and see if that helps, but you should be able to receive on your phone as well. See what Svenster says below:

I'll defer to others more knowledgable, but if your phone was not connected to wifi when your friend FaceTime you, the phone will not respond and is probably why you didn't get the missed FaceTime notice until your phone was later connected to wifi. My understanding is FaceTime only works when connected via wifi. Sent from my iPad 2 3G using Tapatalk

That may be correct if he was running on 3g. Since I don't have an iphone to try that out, I cannot confirm. Bryce, you may want to verify this 3g or wifi connection with facetime on your phone.

EDIT: Yes, you can only use facetime with Wifi connection. Confirmed, see thread: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/48309-3g-face-time-not-connecting.html

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts