What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone dropped their iPad 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Usually a few weeks after a device/phone has launched someone shows up with a cracked screen. So Im just wondering if any one had a unexpected case of butter fingers or slicks thumbs and has dropped iPad 2 yet? I dropped mine but it magically hovered an inch above ground before inpact and I was able to grab it!! :D Nah, but seriously, I know its bound to happen for someone, Im curious the durablity of the new thin design. Any drops yet? ( Or near fatal drops?)

Read the analysis of impact strength on the review by Anandtech.com. Anand had an expert in glass make some tests, and it shows the thinner glass is actually more flexible ... and has better support using adhesive all around, instead of clips that were used on the original iPad. So actually, the assumption that thinner is more vulnerable is not true. They also tweaked the composition of the Gorilla Glass, to make it stronger. The fact it weighs a bit less is also a slight advantage. Slight is the operative word.

I think this is okay to ponder, but it is no way a big deal. Any way you look at it, no one recommends dropping it. Just makes sense. On the other hand we all get in a hurry, and end up sometimes doing something stupid... and hope the design is bullet-proof so to speak. I did read one post wherein a pyrex measuring cup fell out of a cupboard and landed on the ipad display and smashed the glass. I had two quick questions ... why was it on the counter under the cupboard where the cup could fall? ... and better yet why was the cup stored up high where it could fall on something? I know SH. That's the way it goes.

iPad2 is better in every way than the original iPad. It should be. Just enjoy it and have fun showing it off.

What I don't understand is why so many think they have to put thin protective film over the Gorilla Glass. To me it can not help but affect the touch sensitivity ... however, little. It can't help the clarity ... it will only degrade it. It costs extra ... and if not put on correctly (and that is a challenge to get rid of the air pockets and not trap debris underneath accidently. It doesn't clean up any better. The only thing on the positive side is it reduces the glare slightly... depending on what the characteristics of the film are.

I think it is all fear. So they wrap up the baby, thinking it is better. Perhaps if it gives peace of mind. Then sobeit. I'm in the group of thinkers as why bother. Just be careful, don't get in a hurry, and pay attention to what you are doing. That is just life. Now if you have little kids, that fight over everything ... perhaps a little extra protection could be beneficial. Have fun deciding. I did ... I won't put anything extra on ours.

Last edited:

Folic Acid 9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Folic Acid 9 said:
My wife dropped mine on the parking lot. Screen shattered.

I sent it to Mission Repair. $209...great job...got it back in about 3 days.

Missionrepair.com

Sorry about your iPad, however that's good info. I never knew anything about Missionrepair & price isn't too bad. Thanks for info.

Hey, is there any difference as far as you can tell?

No...they are Apple Certified and use a pneumatic extraction tool to help prevent any more damages. It works great. They also use new parts. Aside from the Aluminum being dented and dinged from the original drop...it is like new.

OP
EIGHTYTHREE

EIGHTYTHREE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gkauf3 said:
Amazingly, I took my shattered, dented and chipped IPad 2 to my Apple Store and they replaced it with a new one. I threw in $100.00 & upgraded to the 32 GB and walked out with a brand new one! No other cost except the upgrade.

Here is what I think happened:
I told them that I was carrying the iPad and some books, squeezing against the smart case. The IPad slipped out & hit the concrete floor directly on the IPad's corner. Dented and chipped the case a bit and cracked the screen a fair amount. Still worked OK. The tech looked it over, left a couple times, entered some info on the electronic device he was carrying. After he said they were replacing it, I told him about then upgrade I'd like, he checked inventory, and brought it out.

After I was all set, then I asked why they replaced it. He said the engineers wanted to study it. He said especially when new item comes out they want to collect info on failures. I also had to give my smart case and they gave me a new one. The case was partly responsible. So, i recommend if you take one back, provide enough info to be interesting.

I was pleased for sure!

Wow! Good story. I seriously think you got lucky but hell you deserved a break ( no pun intended, lol). Also, on top of that you paid and got an upgrade which was a smart move on your part since the opportunity was there. More memory is always a plus, so pretty much you paid for the upgrade only! Not bad man, not bad at all. Kudos to you.

OP
EIGHTYTHREE

EIGHTYTHREE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Folic Acid 9 said:
No...they are Apple Certified and use a pneumatic extraction tool to help prevent any more damages. It works great. They also use new parts. Aside from the Aluminum being dented and dinged from the original drop...it is like new.

Good info! I hope I never would need their service but it's good to know that they pretty much make it back new and the price isn't bad too me either. Thanks for the info I will definitely keep it in mind.

OP
EIGHTYTHREE

EIGHTYTHREE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
madhatter61 said:
Read the analysis of impact strength on the review by Anandtech.com. Anand had an expert in glass make some tests, and it shows the thinner glass is actually more flexible ... and has better support using adhesive all around, instead of clips that were used on the original iPad. So actually, the assumption that thinner is more vulnerable is not true. They also tweaked the composition of the Gorilla Glass, to make it stronger. The fact it weighs a bit less is also a slight advantage. Slight is the operative word.

I think this is okay to ponder, but it is no way a big deal. Any way you look at it, no one recommends dropping it. Just makes sense. On the other hand we all get in a hurry, and end up sometimes doing something stupid... and hope the design is bullet-proof so to speak. I did read one post wherein a pyrex measuring cup fell out of a cupboard and landed on the ipad display and smashed the glass. I had two quick questions ... why was it on the counter under the cupboard where the cup could fall? ... and better yet why was the cup stored up high where it could fall on something? I know SH. That's the way it goes.

iPad2 is better in every way than the original iPad. It should be. Just enjoy it and have fun showing it off.

What I don't understand is why so many think they have to put thin protective film over the Gorilla Glass. To me it can not help but affect the touch sensitivity ... however, little. It can't help the clarity ... it will only degrade it. It costs extra ... and if not put on correctly (and that is a challenge to get rid of the air pockets and not trap debris underneath accidently. It doesn't clean up any better. The only thing on the positive side is it reduces the glare slightly... depending on what the characteristics of the film are.

I think it is all fear. So they wrap up the baby, thinking it is better. Perhaps if it gives peace of mind. Then sobeit. I'm in the group of thinkers as why bother. Just be careful, don't get in a hurry, and pay attention to what you are doing. That is just life. Now if you have little kids, that fight over everything ... perhaps a little extra protection could be beneficial. Have fun deciding. I did ... I won't put anything extra on ours.

I really don't doubt iPad 2 durability, I was just wondering firsthand stories from those who have dropped and their outcome.
I don't use screen protectors either, never have but it's a matter of preference to the owner and I can respect that.

Last edited:

samch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my ipad has been dropped loads of times due to my 3 year old playing with it and shamefully i have knocked it off something twice myself , the worse thing that happened is i got a very small dent where you plug the charger into, i had a diamanté case on it and apart from a few stones coming off the case its kept my ipad very safe, same with my iphone.when you take off the cover and the screen protector it looks new underneath.
my ipad 2 is another story I have the smart cover and nothing on the back and I scratched it on the first day, it was on the table and I slid it across to me stupidly and something tiny that I couldn't see on the table scratched it :eek:
I have now stuck a modified screen protector on the back :ipad-back:till I can get the back skin I bought from usa. I want to take advantage of the slim ipad and show it off not cover it with a thick case like I did my other products but hoping I'm not going to regret it

runkel123123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HEy..
i m also very much careful about the portable devices.. i couldnt imagine dropping off such a expensive stuff.. even getting scratches on the screen also irritates me a lot.. hope i could repair my ipad screen by replacing it with new one...

p53

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dropped my ipad2 a few days ago onto concrete, and the screen shattered. I took it to the apple store and told them exactly what happened, and they are going to replace it free of charge. I was really surprised!:)

romanr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dropped my ipad2 a few days ago onto concrete, and the screen shattered. I took it to the apple store and told them exactly what happened, and they are going to replace it free of charge. I was really surprised!:)

Really! That is supper cool of Apple but I doubt that is their new standard policy regarding dropped iPads.

metheridge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine fell out as I was opening the damn box it came in, not a scratch on it. I was thinking I'm really gonna be pissed if I broke it before I even got to turn it on the first time!

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Really! That is supper cool of Apple but I doubt that is their new standard policy regarding dropped iPads.

My friend dropped his brand new iPhone and the screen shattered. He went in and they replaced it as well.

Can't beat Apple customer service!

OP
EIGHTYTHREE

EIGHTYTHREE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
metheridge said:
Mine fell out as I was opening the damn box it came in, not a scratch on it. I was thinking I'm really gonna be pissed if I broke it before I even got to turn it on the first time!

Noooooooooooo!! The epic slo-mo fall and failed attempt to catch! Not quite the same monetary exchange but I ofter do that when I open up Reece cups...still as good as the one the didn't hit the floor. I'm happy for you it didn't break, that woulda been tragic!

Kwabenapeprah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
My friend dropped his brand new iPhone and the screen shattered. He went in and they replaced it as well.

Can't beat Apple customer service!

Dropped my ipad 2 last night and the screen is shattered. It was because the new smart cover came off. Challenge is, i bought it in Ohio 2 weeks ago when I was on vacation from Africa and I am back home. Any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts