What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone dropped their iPad 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

romanr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the full protective clear film, a smart cover and soon the XGear Smart Case Enhancer. But even after all that the first thing I did when I got mine home was to buy a two year Worth Ave protection plan. I picked this one because it covers theft and loss. There are several coupons out there to save you a few bucks.

Gkauf3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
EIGHTYTHREE said:
Man..sorry to hear the bad news. AppleCare doesn't protect against user damage, to get it fix they will probably damn near charge you what a new one will cost. Me personally I would sell it as broken on eBay, hopefully get $200 or more for it and use that to buy a new one. If the prices on eBay isn't going how you like it you can always end the auction. So check to see how much apple charges to repair vs selling and buying a new one.
Good luck, keep us posted, I'm curious on what apple charges?

I'll check it out. I did see several listings for screen replacement on IPad 2. Prices were from $100-199. Course no guarantee these are real places... I wonder in replacing the screen if I still retain a white IPad or not?

Spongebob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found iresq.com online after dropping mine. I did not use them though since my credit card covers me for theft and accidental damage for 90 days so they are refunding me. I would fix it for the price. FYI, my dog knocked it off a night stand. It fell face down 3' and cracked the white portion by the front camera. The glass does not appear to be broken but maybe it is the digitizer?

Good luck, as I was going to fix mine if they did not cover me, but I too am getting either Squaretrade or Worth Ave warranty.

Stephen777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dropped my iPad from my deck onto concrete once but it was fine thanks to my otterbox.

OP
EIGHTYTHREE

EIGHTYTHREE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gkauf3 said:
I'll check it out. I did see several listings for screen replacement on IPad 2. Prices were from $100-199. Course no guarantee these are real places... I wonder in replacing the screen if I still retain a white IPad or not?

Where did you buy and what date? BB, Target, Apple??....

Fifi1992

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have apple care and squaretrade it covers accidental drops

Folic Acid 9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dropped my Ipad 2 about 30 minutes ago & it cracked the screen as well as some abrasions at the corner where it hit the concrete floor. It fell less than two feet but is nicely cracked for sure!

So what's the best route for me to follow here? I did buy Apple Care but I suspect it won't cover it.

FYI: I was holding the iPad along with a couple of books in one hand - the smart cover is only secured by magnet and I think the IPad slid out from under the cover. So next time I'll have a protective case...

My wife dropped mine on the parking lot. Screen shattered.

I sent it to Mission Repair. $209...great job...got it back in about 3 days.

Missionrepair.com

OP
EIGHTYTHREE

EIGHTYTHREE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Folic Acid 9 said:
My wife dropped mine on the parking lot. Screen shattered.

I sent it to Mission Repair. $209...great job...got it back in about 3 days.

Missionrepair.com

Sorry about your iPad, however that's good info. I never knew anything about Missionrepair & price isn't too bad. Thanks for info.

Hey, is there any difference as far as you can tell?

tonypward

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dropped my iPad 1 from 5ft. Bounced on the back and flipped over on to screen.
I had the zagg all over cover on. Apart from a couple of tiny indentations on the aluminium back nothing wrong with it.
I just have it in the original Apple cover now, got annoyed with the dull finish of the screen. My iPad 2 just has the normal magic cover whatever it's called.

Gkauf3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
EIGHTYTHREE said:
Where did you buy and what date? BB, Target, Apple??....

I bought it at Apple on March 18. Why? Do you think they might replace it?

OP
EIGHTYTHREE

EIGHTYTHREE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gkauf3 said:
I bought it at Apple on March 18. Why? Do you think they might replace it?

I was wondering cuz if u brought it from best buy then I would have known a way to get you a replacement, but since it was apple, that kills that idea. Maybe look into what that poster had above at mission repair. Seems that may be your cheaper route and they seem to stand behind their work. Keep us posted, this is good info incase it happens to others.

eddkahn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Usually a few weeks after a device/phone has launched someone shows up with a cracked screen. So Im just wondering if any one had a unexpected case of butter fingers or slicks thumbs and has dropped iPad 2 yet? I dropped mine but it magically hovered an inch above ground before inpact and I was able to grab it!! :D Nah, but seriously, I know its bound to happen for someone, Im curious the durablity of the new thin design. Any drops yet? ( Or near fatal drops?)

Well I left mine on my mates car as he dropped me home then he drove off!!

it went flying but I was lucky as it went flying right back into my hands =]

jwwphoto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Silent Assassin said:
Nope, not yet.. but when I do SquareTrade will be getting a call!

Anyone have any experience getting a Sq Trade claim paid yet? I'm curious as I am getting ready to buy a 2 yr plan on an iPad 2..... Jeff

While

iPF Noob
Reaction score
eddkahn said:
Well I left mine on my mates car as he dropped me home then he drove off!!

it went flying but I was lucky as it went flying right back into my hands =]

Lol ... If I where you I had a heart attack :))))
Seriously , never dropped my iPad but I can tell you right here right now that the iPhone is soooo hard to break. I droped mine so many times , often directly on concret and never had a crack.Sure it got scratched but never anything serious.I had a blackberry and it accidentally droped it just once .The falling distance wasn't more then one feet but it cracked it sideways .

Gkauf3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
EIGHTYTHREE said:
I was wondering cuz if u brought it from best buy then I would have known a way to get you a replacement, but since it was apple, that kills that idea. Maybe look into what that poster had above at mission repair. Seems that may be your cheaper route and they seem to stand behind their work. Keep us posted, this is good info incase it happens to others.

Amazingly, I took my shattered, dented and chipped IPad 2 to my Apple Store and they replaced it with a new one. I threw in $100.00 & upgraded to the 32 GB and walked out with a brand new one! No other cost except the upgrade.

Here is what I think happened:
I told them that I was carrying the iPad and some books, squeezing against the smart case. The IPad slipped out & hit the concrete floor directly on the IPad's corner. Dented and chipped the case a bit and cracked the screen a fair amount. Still worked OK. The tech looked it over, left a couple times, entered some info on the electronic device he was carrying. After he said they were replacing it, I told him about then upgrade I'd like, he checked inventory, and brought it out.

After I was all set, then I asked why they replaced it. He said the engineers wanted to study it. He said especially when new item comes out they want to collect info on failures. I also had to give my smart case and they gave me a new one. The case was partly responsible. So, i recommend if you take one back, provide enough info to be interesting.

I was pleased for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts