What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does the iPad 2 has internal drop protection?

Thorz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First post, hello folks!

I am wondering, does the iPad 2 offer some kind of internal protection against damages produced by drops?

Apple portables like the Macbook Pro have offered anti-shock protections agains drops for some years already but I don't know if the iPad has something similar.

My iPad is protected by a plastic back case and a smartcover. I accidentally dropped it yesterday to concrete floor, it landed flat on the back case but it did not want to turn on again after this. This morning I executed a cold reset on it holding the power and home buttons and luckily it came back to life. The case was shattered on the drop bur the device appears to be working ok.

Would be nice if someone knows about this.

Thanks!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, there is no internal built in shock protection in the iPad. you were very lucky that your iPad still works. The best thing you can do to protect against violent shocks, such as dropping, is to get a good quality case.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPads are solid state, MacBooks, although now starting to get fitted with solid state HD's, have spinning disc HD's, the protection that you are talking about is when the HD gets locked down when it senses they are falling. So, because iPads are solid state (no moving parts), there is nothing that needs to be locked down.

The Archangel

OP
Thorz

Thorz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was also surprised that the ipad worked again after the drop. I guess that the cover has done its work. But I don't understand why it refused to turn on after? I mean, something has definitely happened inside to put it on this locked state so that's why I was thinking that there was some kind of auto sense system inside using the internal accelerometer.

I am glad it's still working. Have not tested everything yet but I guess this kind of devices either work or they don't after these kind of accidents (no external damage can be seen).

OP
Thorz

Thorz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whilst it doesn't help you, just for completeness and a better explanation than mine here is Apple's description in their own words

The Archangel

Thanks for the article.

I understand how does this sensor work on the Macs, was very courious about capabilities of the same type on the iPad, of course taking in account that these devices use solid state based storage I was thinking that some other kind of protection was in place.

I guess that it's really true that Apple has used very high standards on building these puppies.

I will still search for better protection for the iPad. I hate to lose gadgets because of these kind of accidents.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think the iPad needs shock absorbers
biggrin.png

Most reactions