What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newcomer - not happy with iPad

OP
P

pdanes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last few tries before I go crash - several more attempts at connecting and downloading, this time without the Lightning cable, and all ended the same way: a few minutes of 'Preparing to download...', then that disappears, and nothing else happens.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I will try and do a step by step with screenshots tomorrow and PM to you here....

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Rather than use a Private Message, I will upload the 'step by step' as a PDF, then someone else may find it useful at another time. (I just hope it solves the problem!) The file is called 'Nplayer Instructions 040418.pdf'

Attachments

• Nplayer Instructions 040418.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 794
OP
P

pdanes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the instructions, and sorry for lagging - I've had some fires to put out over the last few days.

I tried following the directions. I have a folder shared on the Windows computer, It is viewable and editable from other computers on the network. I open the iPad, connect to our local WiFi node, and the shared folder is also visible. I followed the directions for the Network icon, and the SMB/CIFS link. The shared folder is visible, and I put in the login information, just as I do when logging into the machine. It seems satisfied, but when I try to open the folder, nothing happens for about three seconds, then it pops up a message box saying "Operation timed out". I tried the Password Lock slider in both positions. In the On position, attempting to open the folder pops up another request for a password, in the Off position, this dialog does not appear, but in both cases, the end result is the same: "Operation timed out".

The dialog for entering information about the shared computer has the word 'Advanced' in the lower right corner, which I thought might open some further possibilities, but it is inactive.

The password to this machine is not trivial, but I have used it for many years in this network. I have entered it repeatedly, and checked very carefully, letter by letter, as I enter it. I am 100% certain that I am entering it correctly.

I don't know what to try next. The dialog for locating shared folder also shows my Box folder, but besides the endless nagging ads, it is unreachable offline, so that is no good.

I also had the entire Box app go under - completely unreachable. Constantly wanted a password, but then refused to log in, even when online and given the correct password. A few seconds of nothing, then back to the desktop. I had to uninstall the entire app, re-install it, and download all the videos again. Several hours of PIA, but at least I have them videos viewable again, even if through Box's less than stellar player.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
>> fires to put out..
I hope not actual fires!

>> operation timed out...
Sounds like Windows permissions.

I wonder if you could email the files to the iPad, then select a video and then click on the box in top right hand corner with up arrow. This brings up the general copying, etc. box. select copy to nplayer. See if that works.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
An alternative the Box, is to try Dropbox, which gives 2gb free, if I remember correctly. Dropbox can also be accessed from nplayer.

OP
P

pdanes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No real fires, only some issues with backups not getting done properly, discovered AFTER accidental deletion of an entire database. Unfortunately, little I can do about it except whine. The systems I administer have automated backups, religiously checked and copied to multiple off-site locations, every night, and every week manually to physically disconnected and powered-off storage devices. However, this was a system under someone else's oversight, in which I am but a lowly user. And a mightily peeved one, at the moment.

I think this folder has all the necesary permissions - it is shared for read/write access on the account I use, and has complete control for that account on the permissions tab, for folder, subfolders and files. I don't know what other permissions I could apply that might affect anything.

I don't have email set up on the iPad, and in any case, I think that would be rather unwieldy, even if it worked. There are over 2,000 of these videos, taking up 900+ MB, and more are added regularly. Trying to shovel all that through email would be a nightmare. I'd be ahead simply carrying around a notebook, and just give up on using a tablet.

OP
P

pdanes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, Dropbox might be an option, except that I already use it, and have most of the 2GB occupied. I suppose I could try a few videos, and at least see how (if) the Dropbox video player works.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you are going from the iPad to the building/ business wifi, rather than direct to the computer, it maybe that that is where the permissions are set.

You mentioned that you can see the shared folder via the local wifi network on the ipad, so you should be able to select the files, and copy into nplayer as described above.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hold on, in what way do you see the shared folder from the iPad?

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have just copied my files across to dropbox and then brought them into nplayer to check that it all does work.

Hopefully it will work for you...

OP
P

pdanes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hold on, in what way do you see the shared folder from the iPad?

As you wrote, opening Nplayer, then the Network icon, and the shared folder shows up in the subsequent list of available locations.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don’t have Nplayer, but shared folders are probably still stored in the cloud. Look for edit, select, download, or share features available while viewing the files that will let you move files to local storage.

Last edited:

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks twerppoet. The shared folders mentioned here are on a windows PC, to which the OP cannot connect to fully.
Hopefully the OP will be able to pull the videos into nplayer via Dropbox.

Most reactions

Latest posts