What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grey blurry lines, appear and slowly expanded, software/LCD or motherboard problem? 3 Opaque black ones now started, Ipad mini 4

hello1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The lines started appearing out of nowhere, no hits, no water damage.

At first it was only one line, the 2 and so on... Then they began in the other side of the screen.

Now some months later opaque lines have started

I know that in this model LCD and touchscreen are jointed, wonder if a replace will fix it.

I think it is a 2016 model, received it as a gift, and months later lines started.

Display lines.jpeg

OP
H

hello1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gift and old, so no warranty btw

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The lines started appearing out of nowhere, no hits, no water damage.

At first it was only one line, the 2 and so on... Then they began in the other side of the screen.

Now some months later opaque lines have started

I know that in this model LCD and touchscreen are jointed, wonder if a replace will fix it.

I think it is a 2016 model, received it as a gift, and months later lines started.

View attachment 94597
To me that looks like a failing logic board.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you live close enough to an Apple Store you could take it in for a Genius Bar appointment. They would run a diagnostic to determine the exact cause of the problem. Genius Bar appointments are free.

OP
H

hello1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To me that looks like a failing logic board.
Btw, I should also explain, it isn´t white all the time, I chose that as background so you guys coul see all the lines. Do you still think that is the problem?

OP
H

hello1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you live close enough to an Apple Store you could take it in for a Genius Bar appointment. They would run a diagnostic to determine the exact cause of the problem. Genius Bar appointments are free.
I didn´t know they did that with no warranty, I will try to, thank you.

I will go to see if it can be fix with another display, I watched a video so if it´s the screen I´ll fix it.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn´t know they did that with no warranty, I will try to, thank you.

I will go to see if it can be fix with another display, I watched a video so if it´s the screen I´ll fix it.

While the Genius Bar appointment is free any hardware repairs won’t be. If a hardware repair is indicated they’ll tell you what it will cost.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
BTW, back up the iPad before taking it in for the Genius Bar appointment. Sometimes the device has to be erased during testing.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Almost certainly a screen problem. Either the LCD panel, or the backlighting. Not sure about the second one, since I don’t remember how the backlighting was done in that model. It is not impossible for it to be graphics driver issue.

The appointment with Apple is a good idea to pinpoint the issue. It is extremely unlikely that thier repair cost (if available) will be a better choice than buying a new iPad. The base models are actually cheaper than the one you own when it was new.

Self repair is, of course, an option. However no matter how much cheaper it is than a professional repair, it’s a complete waste of money if it does not work. Any video or tutorial that tells you it’s easy is lying to you. If you are not used to repairing sensitive electronics it’s gong to be challenging. You’ll need patience, careful preparation, and attention to detail. Also a trusted source for the parts.

I’m not telling you not to do it. It can also be fun and satisfying. Just don’t go into it with the expectation that it’s a guaranteed win.

Most reactions