What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great, now hubby wants his own iPad

dwhygienist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not against my hubby getting an iPad- I wanted to give him my iPad1 when i get a new one by end of this year. He saw the wonders of the tablet and even a tech illiterate as he is saw apple was better than PC tablets. I thought a iPad 3 16 g would serve his needs- Facebook , a little internet surfing, a little e-mail, and i just put iTunes on his laptop and salvaged a few CD's that he didn't ruin by tossing them in his glovebox( yes- no sleeve or jewel box). Pandora too. that is all he uses the machine. He just got the hang of upolading a CD to iTunes without his cheat sheet-Yea. i even got him a shuffle so he can listen to "his" music in the car- he was afraid the satellite radio would not reach us down in Myrtle Beach- I told him he could pick it up in Guam!
He saw the newer models at the apple store and wants a shiny new one. Ok, a iPad 3 16 g refurbished then- No, he has been calling apple and he wants a 4th gen because it is the best. and he does not want refurbished .
Well, now that he just found out that we are getting a small inheritance( few grand) he is going to buy for as soon as the check comes in( couple of weeks to clear legal stuff)
I still want to wait and see if new models come out- that way the price of the 4th generation may drop a bit.
Since he has a PC, connecting the iPad will be the same as my Mac with his iTunes right? Plug it in, put in his apple id and password and everything will sinc?
I'm glad he is finally coming into the 21st century but First it was where's the volume control on my laptop, I can't hear anything( the headphone jack was not in all the way) iTunes won't open- he had minimized it to look like a radio player- hit the minus sign! Poof there is is. Oy Vey
His is only for about the house so he just needs WiFi.
Wait till he discovers Apps! i'll never get any peace

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lol.....ipaditus is catching!

Yes, he just plugs his new iPad into his laptop and off he goes, it's all pretty simple on either a PC or a Mac.

The Archangel

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So now he wants a new one rather then a refurbished one? I get that. When I first bought an iPad the ideal of buying new was the only thing on my mind. Especially since it would be my very first one to have. However, give it time...when he wants to upgrade or wants a second one-the refurb iPads are outstanding! :)

Good luck with the purchase--it's do fun to do that.

OP
D

dwhygienist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not complaining- I was going to pay for my own with my "pin" money - the little bits after the week I would save going towards vacation or stuff i wanted- He's going to use his inheritance for both iPads- no complaints- and i get to trade in my old one for an app card-up to 120.00 Sweet

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It sound s like a great plan you have there! Take pics of you new device when you get it. We all love to see unboxing of newly purchased stuff! :)

OP
D

dwhygienist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It sound s like a great plan you have there! Take pics of you new device when you get it. We all love to see unboxing of newly purchased stuff! :)
ah, yes. the things you can't do with a first gen iPad. We leave for vacation this evening and i'm not even packing my digital camera- my iPod touch takes just as good pictures and it is set up with dropbox and I have a mobile hotspot on my phone. I will not use a tablet as a camera like i see people doing- that just looks silly

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ah, yes. the things you can't do with a first gen iPad. We leave for vacation this evening and i'm not even packing my digital camera- my iPod touch takes just as good pictures and it is set up with dropbox and I have a mobile hotspot on my phone. I will not use a tablet as a camera like i see people doing- that just looks silly

Woohoo--vacation time!! Have a great time!

I hear 'ya on taking pics with the iPad. I tried that a few times and just felt that it was awkward to hold especially with a cover flap on it. I was in Vegas earlier this year and saw people taking pics with their iPads. They kept their iPads in plastic shopping bags, no cover for protection. I cringed when I saw that!

Love my iPhone and iPod touch for taking pics! It's awesome! :)

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Taking photos with an iPad is no dweebier than using a phone, which in addition makes you look like a teenager. :)

I don't have a cell phone or iPod, anyway. I've used my iPad 3 as my only camera on two vacation road trips. It's easy to snap a photo, massage it in Snapseed, then email it to friends or upload to Flickr at the next wifi opportunity. The capability for 1080p movies (think waterfalls) is cool, too. When you chat with other travelers in restaurants, an iPad is the ideal way to share your experiences. The lack of a zoom lens, macro, and flash isn't much of a problem for most vacation shots.

The second trip went a lot more smoothly, because I'd found the perfect bag for toting the iPad on those short hikes at scenic destinations. It's padded, zippered, and has both a handle and a shoulder strap, plus small pockets for earbuds, cleaning cloth, etc. There's even a pocket sized for an iPhone. No, it does not feel like I'm carrying a danged purse! :p

dp-2139-3_full.jpg

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Taking photos with an iPad is no dweebier than using a phone, which in addition makes you look like a teenager. :)

I don't have a cell phone or iPod, anyway. I've used my iPad 3 as my only camera on two vacation road trips. It's easy to snap a photo, massage it in Snapseed, then email it to friends or upload to Flickr at the next wifi opportunity. The capability for 1080p movies (think waterfalls) is cool, too. When you chat with other travelers in restaurants, an iPad is the ideal way to share your experiences. The lack of a zoom lens, macro, and flash isn't much of a problem for most vacation shots.

The second trip went a lot more smoothly, because I'd found the perfect bag for toting the iPad on those short hikes at scenic destinations. It's padded, zippered, and has both a handle and a shoulder strap, plus small pockets for earbuds, cleaning cloth, etc. There's even a pocket sized for an iPhone. No, it does not feel like I'm carrying a danged purse! :p

LOL..."teenager?" Then there must be millions out there with iPhones taking pics that are all "teenagers!" :)

Skimonkey ~~ sent from my iPad MINI using iPF

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's an STM. Amazon sells them. IIRC it was about US$20.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
even a tech illiterate as he is saw apple was better than PC tablets.

This does not surprise me. It has been my experience that those of us on the illiterate side of technology find the iOS devices a bit more intuitive and easy to use. The features that tend to favor other types of devices are those that 'tech illiterates" don't value as highly.

Of course this is a broad generalization.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Broad, perhaps, but broadly useful. As a graphic designer, I had tried for years to justify buying a laptop, but it just didn't make sense; my long string of desktop Macs were far better suited for content creation, with their 21" monitors, multiple hard drives, drawing tablets, mice, and REAL extended keyboards. I was hardly a computer illiterate. I worked from home, and had no real use for a portable computer.

Since I've retired, I have much less need of those tools. I still don't need a laptop, as my iPad serves nearly all of my consumptive needs and is far more mobile. Some days my iMac does not wake from sleep at all. When it does, it's to play on a flight simulator, to do some serious photo editing, to edit my website, or to see something that only exists in Flash, tasks that are ridiculously difficult or impossible on the tablet.

Instead of hunching over the keyboard at my desk, I'm half reclined in my La-Z-Boy in the living room, iPad in my lap, savoring the absence of noise from whirring disks and fans. Life is good.

Most reactions

Latest posts