What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Son wants his own Apple ID but previous purchases too?

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My son is 12 and has an original gen iPad. I have several Apple products and have had my ID for several years, it is my email addy. I don't buy much on iTunes, so most of the money that has been spent was by him getting gift cards over the last year for his iPod touch and now, his iPad.
He wants his own ID, and honestly I am tired of always deleting his "cloud updates" on my iPad 3. So I don't have an issue with his request. But would it be easier for me to change to a new ID? But it is my email, so what new ID do I request? Do I need another email account?

What is the best way to handle this situation?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nakedbabytoes said:
My son is 12 and has an original gen iPad. I have several Apple products and have had my ID for several years, it is my email addy. I don't buy much on iTunes, so most of the money that has been spent was by him getting gift cards over the last year for his iPod touch and now, his iPad.
He wants his own ID, and honestly I am tired of always deleting his "cloud updates" on my iPad 3. So I don't have an issue with his request. But would it be easier for me to change to a new ID? But it is my email, so what new ID do I request? Do I need another email account?

What is the best way to handle this situation?

I believe you have to be 13 to have your own iTunes account. Your son would need his own email address and password. If your son gets his own account, any apps purchased or downloaded on your account will not be available on the new ID.

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
I believe you have to be 13 to have your own iTunes account. Your son would need his own email address and password. If your son gets his own account, any apps purchased or downloaded on your account will not be available on the new ID.

I had an iPhone 3GS that my son and I both purchased apps on with my apple ID. When I got my new iPhone 5 I gave him my old 3GS and had him set up his own apple ID. All the apps we purchased under my name are still on his phone, when there is an update for those apps he has to enter my apple ID and password. All the new apps he purchases he buys under his new ID.

OP
N

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
He doesn't have any credit cards or debit cards either, so it would need to be my account anyways for payment.

Could he use mine and I get a second one, with another email addy? My apps were all free, so I have no problem getting mine. However, he'd be out like over $100 in apps if I made him get a new one. So that isn't preferable.
Can you have Apple IDs share a computer though? We only have my hubby's laptop to sync to.
Then I would assume I set my iPad up as new from backup or just new so I can use a new Apple ID?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nakedbabytoes said:
He doesn't have any credit cards or debit cards either, so it would need to be my account anyways for payment.

Could he use mine and I get a second one, with another email addy? My apps were all free, so I have no problem getting mine. However, he'd be out like over $100 in apps if I made him get a new one. So that isn't preferable.
Can you have Apple IDs share a computer though? We only have my hubby's laptop to sync to.
Then I would assume I set my iPad up as new from backup or just new so I can use a new Apple ID?

Your son can set up his account without a credit card. He can use iTunes gift cards to pay for his purchases.

gresh14

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Nakedbabytoes said:

We have 5 users set up on our computer so all you need to do is add your son as a user, he will sign into the computer under his name.im pretty sure you,have to download iTunes again under your sons user name. I have my credit card under his apple ID. I just sync his phone with his new account and all the purchases that were made were put on his accouI don't think you,really need to set up as new, you could but you would loose the purchases you have.

ahmedelharery

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it's better to give your apple ID to your son since you didn't buy that much apps and create a new apple ID for yourself.

Try to change you email ID from that account and let him put his ID, then try to use your ID to create a new apple ID

Most reactions

Latest posts