What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GPS question

jacobgong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to getting an iPad but I still have questions on GPS which I didn't get an answer for my phone either.

The question is, does the iPad have real GPS? like not assisted but a GPS that is really G as in Global? Will it work if I take it to Afghanistan where there is no cellular network what so ever? Assuming I have already downloaded a map of Afghanistan or Maybe north Korea.

The thing is, the smartphone I got last year has GPS, but it doesn't work outside of my country. It will work even if I turn off assisted GPS inside my country, but it just doesn't work it other countries, which means it's not "global"
Maybe it's just because it is locked to the provider and they did some nasty things to prevent you from using it outside. Or maybe, all mobile devices don't have real GPS chips? You know like those rugged handheld GPS units you can buy that will really work anywhere in the wild?

I'd like a definite answer, meaning taking an iPad, remove its SIM card, turn off wi-fi and then see if it still can acquire your location. Because if it only works in my country it's not really too helpful. I went to other countries 2 times this year and I had to rely on a freakin compass to navigate in Tokyo. I didn't do too bad but it would be way better if I have a GPS unit with me next time.

Also, does the iPad have dictionaries in other languages? Like when you use the book app, you can look up words right? does it only have English? Because I tried with iPads in an Apple store I changed the language and read a book in that language still I could not look up any of the words.

vsstanton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a great question...going to France in September and downloaded a france map and hope it will wrk with the gps....would be great to know...

FrostyFire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe it's A-GPS, as in Assisted GPS. Aka it uses WiFi and/or cell towers to figure out your position. It's pretty accurate on the iPhone.

OP
J

jacobgong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
accuracy isn't a problem, I need it to work in places I don't already know, like outside of my country

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is real GPS, and seems even more accurate than the iPhone in my testing.

The "A" in this case means that the cellular tower signal is used to get near to where you are and make the real satellite lock go faster. The 3G version is required, though!

I have used mine in many coountries - it works.

OP
J

jacobgong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
accuracy isn't a problem, I need it to work in places I don't already know, like outside of my country

It will probably work, but you're subject to the roaming data prices of where ever you are.

by real GPS I mean one that uses satellite signals, that will work anywhere like some remote island in the middle of the pacific or over the north pole in an airplane.

OP
J

jacobgong

iPF Noob
Reaction score

The "A" in this case means that the cellular tower signal is used to get near to where you are and make the real satellite lock go faster. The 3G version is required, though!

can you please try it without a SIM card?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The GPS in the 3G models has two components. You have a wifi/cell tower accelerator which gets the unit in the general position while the GPS is acquiring satellites. Once the satellites are acquired, the primary GPS unit takes over.

OP
J

jacobgong

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The GPS in the 3G models has two components. You have a wifi/cell tower accelerator which gets the unit in the general position while the GPS is acquiring satellites. Once the satellites are acquired, the primary GPS unit takes over.

my phone works like that as well, except it doesn't work outside of my country.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score

can you please try it without a SIM card?

Yep, it works just as well without a SIM card.

Most reactions