What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GPS/elevation data

mini user

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, again...I appreciate the great advice I get from this site, so here is my second question of the day:

i have several GPS apps (Telenav Scout, Google maps, Maps, Free GPS) on my mini...I have looked, but may be missing it...do any of the GPS apps...either what I have or another) with elevation data available.

Again, thanks to the folks who always answer my newbie questions.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use Scout a lot and have not seen any elevation indicator feature on it. We were out West at Glacier and Yellowstone. This app worked well finding local restaurants and hotels, but unfortunately no elevation. Sorry, maybe others will know.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
MotionX GPS HD (not the Drive version) will give you elevation; using the My Position view. No idea how accurate it is. Elevation data depends on having at least 4 strong satellite signals, preferably 5.

The only other app I have that I can get elevation from is Topo Maps. It's a bit specialized, and only gives you elevation for places you pin on a topography map, not your current location.

I'm sure there are other apps, but that's all I've got.

Last edited:

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There appears to be a few in the App Store. Several free.

One claims accuracy within 500 feet.... :D

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've got the latest Motion X GPS Drive on my iPad Air.. It does show the Elevation (altitude) in the 'My Position' view.

Thanks. I didn't think to check, assuming it would be like most other driving/navigation apps. The GPS HD version is more general purpose, so it has some oddball tools. I tend to turn to it when I need something unusual in the way of mapping and navigation.

Hmm, they are showing over 600 ft difference in altitude between the two apps. GPS HD is showing about 330 ft. GPS Drive HD is showing 1085 ft. If I use the Topo Map app to get an altitude, according to the topography map, it is 1108 ft; so it looks like the GPS Drive version is more accurate.

Makes me wonder if the GPS Drive app is pulling it's data from the GPS, or whether it's using map information based on long and lat.

The suspicion is straightened by the fact that GPS Drive shows the altitude before the signal meter has gone green. The GPS HD app shows nothing until the GPS signal is locked and green.

Edit: I'm an idiot! The GPS HD app is reading in meters, which would be about the same as the other apps if converted to feet.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts