What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GPS not availble in the WiFi iPad

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There will be some other differences between the two models. The iPad without 3G capabilities will not include GPS.

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah, of cource the more money you pay the better it gets. Im not sure what version im going to buy yet.

Varking

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is that confirmed? No GPS capabilities for the WiFi only verson?

brandonhd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is that confirmed? No GPS capabilities for the WiFi only verson?

sad but true

ipadnogpsonwifiverison.png

ipadnogpsonwifiverison.png

iDoug

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well dang...I was just going to get the wifi one, but this is making me rethink my decision :confused:

jskahan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Crap, I just went back to the store page and yeah with the way the models are named "Wifi + 3g" or "Wifi" that is certainly how it appears.

Oh well, what's another $130 on top of $799?

brandonhd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Crap, I just went back to the store page and yeah with the way the models are named "Wifi + 3g" or "Wifi" that is certainly how it appears.

Oh well, what's another $130 on top of $799?

Really just another $30 on top of $799 :)

iPadprice.png

DG~X

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well dang...I was just going to get the wifi one, but this is making me rethink my decision :confused:

Of cource it is....hearing all the defects on this devise it just killing me on the inside. I was going to buy the 3G one but ive heard worse on that version.

kbregnar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seriously, in this economy, who would spend $829 for the GPS and the max storage. This is so way overpriced it is not even funny. A netbook has the same to greater screen size with vastly more features. Touch is not all that. I get that with my iPhone which is where I think touch makes the most sense. I am not going to pay this much of a premium for something that will be much cheaper in say a year or two.

Big disappointment.

OP
iDan

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
$829 does seem expensive for this device.

I have not been impressed with any netbooks. I'd rather just use my macbook pro then degrade to something that's a tad smaller, lighter and less powerful.

I don't consider the iPad in the same category, because I think it will have have a completely different use. I think of this more as a web appliance. Having it in the kitchen to check the weather real quick, look up receipts on the web, stock quotes, quick search,etc, etc.

To me the touch screen is the major advantage the iPad has. I have an iPhone & Motorola droid Both browse the net just fine when I'm away or on the road.

However, if I'm at home sitting on the couch or in bed I don't want to browse the net on something that small. Having something double that size (I think) will become the perfect browser (with flash support).

I'm not saying its the perfect device, but I do see a need for a product like this and I think Apple will do a good making this happen. It may just take some time to realize the full potential of the iPad.

Seriously, in this economy, who would spend $829 for the GPS and the max storage. This is so way overpriced it is not even funny. A netbook has the same to greater screen size with vastly more features. Touch is not all that. I get that with my iPhone which is where I think touch makes the most sense. I am not going to pay this much of a premium for something that will be much cheaper in say a year or two.

Big disappointment.

Jippojeppe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Soo.. why would you want an ipad without 3G but with gps?
Its not like you pull it out when your out and get a gps-lock and after that you realise you dont have 3g so you can download the maps?
And yea i know there is some apps that dont need map to work with gps but thats like trainingapps and i almost dare to bet money that you are not going to strap your ipad to your arm to go on a run :)
And if you look at the iphone it has an assisted gps, so it uses that 3g to get the first areainfo before it gets a lock on satelites.

Sorry about my bad english, im from sweden.

Most reactions

Latest posts