What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gorilla Glass

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Of course that scratched it! It would be ridiculous to expect otherwise. Certainly Gorilla glass is a wonderful invention by Corning and makes a screen way more scratch resistant than the early days of the plastic screens on our Treo's. But there're many everyday situations and items in our pockets that can have sandy grit on it that will easily scratch the gorilla glass.

Though I suppose it could be a "doctored" video, Zagg's own video demonstration of their product shows a person using their keys to scratch an iPad 2's screen and the scratches are very very noticeable before they put the shield on and do the same demonstration. Do you think they're doing false advertising there with that video?

Thanks for sharing your personal experience with an iPad in the sandbox. I was hoping someone else would share proof of what I know to be the case in my experience as well.

One statement in support of your claims doesn't a majority make (not that popular votes prove jack). Also, the fact that some scratches rubbed out sounds strangely curious to me. I wonder how the fact that I practically never get sand on my fingers is supposed to factor into this equation? Oh, I know...save my money on a useless screen protector and spend it on something else! :)

Lucky_Charms

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
One statement in support of your claims doesn't a majority make (not that popular votes prove jack). Also, the fact that some scratches rubbed out sounds strangely curious to me. I wonder how the fact that I practically never get sand on my fingers is supposed to factor into this equation? Oh, I know...save my money on a useless screen protector and spend it on something else! :)

Totally agree. Most people will never have to worry about their screen. The whole point I'm making is that the screen can scratch quiet easily given the right circumstance. I think most of what I wiped away was probably grease marks from my nephew using it. What remained looks like it is permanent. One scratch is noticeable if I run my fingernail over it. That happens to be the deepest one.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Totally agree. Most people will never have to worry about their screen. The whole point I'm making is that the screen can scratch quiet easily given the right circumstance. I think most of what I wiped away was probably grease marks from my nephew using it. What remained looks like it is permanent. One scratch is noticeable if I run my fingernail over it. That happens to be the deepest one.

Your info is important: Don't let anyone who has been in the sand touch your iPad until that person has had a good shower. Apple stuff doesn't like sand, salt, and water. It won't be hard for me to avoid this situation, but the beach bunnies/bums among us (I used to live in Redondo Beach CA) need to watch out and buy a screen protector. In fact, I'd say if you have kids you'd better get one...kids can break and/or mess up anything. I was a total terror when I was a kid. :)

Ronaldo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's exactly why I didn't attempt doing this myself as a 1st time Apple buyer, I went from the Apple store directly to a kiosk that sold the protective sheets & the guy "applied" it like he was tinting windows... cleaned it, sprayed it & squeegied the moisture out.

Yeah I did the same exact thing right after I bought mine. But I'm thinking about ripping it off cause I see a lot of bubbles now about two and half weeks later.
They don't replace for free if bubbles have erupted two weeks later do they?

I was a total terror when I was a kid. :)

Shocking! lol

charm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe both opposing views here are right. I could find no actual confirmation from apple or Corning that all three iPads have the Corning gorilla glass. True all the newspaper and articles say gorilla glass but that appears to be using the trademarked name for the generic. Just as people call copies made from a Canon machine : Zerox copies. Some forums and some articles say Apple went with a cheaper producer of "gorilla glass" for iPad 2 and 3 which can scratch easier than Cornings product.
Apple just lists the generic name/type glass and does not specify Corning as the supplier. I did find apple acknowledging using Corning for an iPhone or at least reports of that and the Jobs biography lead me to believe my iPad 1 does have Gorilla glass (and no scratches at all just like it came from apple ---water and micro cloth cleaned daily)
I know there are Apple insiders as well as iPad experts who know for sure so I hope they weigh in on whether the assumption in this thread that all iPads were made with Corning gorilla glass is accurate or if the Internet rumors/assertions on generic substitutes have validity.

charm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh I know this is the iPad 3 forum and I have a 1 gen but I am saving up to buy a 3 soon and had heard rumors that the 3 did need the screen protector even if my ipad1 did not. I have found this forum to have the most accurate help and info rather than google Getting 1 GB of ram instead if the measly 256 MB would let me get rid of those low memory glitches

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your info is important: Don't let anyone who has been in the sand touch your iPad until that person has had a good shower. Apple stuff doesn't like sand, salt, and water. It won't be hard for me to avoid this situation, but the beach bunnies/bums among us (I used to live in Redondo Beach CA) need to watch out and buy a screen protector. In fact, I'd say if you have kids you'd better get one...kids can break and/or mess up anything.
Finally we have "some" agreement! :-D

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh I know this is the iPad 3 forum and I have a 1 gen but I am saving up to buy a 3 soon and had heard rumors that the 3 did need the screen protector even if my ipad1 did not. I have found this forum to have the most accurate help and info rather than google Getting 1 GB of ram instead if the measly 256 MB would let me get rid of those low memory glitches

There is nothing about the 3 that makes it need a protector more than the 1 or 2 does. If you feel you need one, get one. Otherwise, I suggest you not.

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just went naked again on my 4S - no protector. And I discovered another great benefit of the protectors: glare elimination. The naked glass is VERY reflective. I don't like it at all. Will be getting another protector soon.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just went naked again on my 4S - no protector. And I discovered another great benefit of the protectors: glare elimination. The naked glass is VERY reflective. I don't like it at all. Will be getting another protector soon.

pianoman, you're just a "protector" kind of guy! I was thinking...."what glare". :)

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I see the passion to protect or not protect is still alive and well. :)

I'm like others here, I could basically care less what others say. Depending on the topic I too place much more weight on my personal experience and those close to me over unknowns. We've had as many as 5 iPads in the house. We are now down to 4... I fully agree that the iPad or other device glass is and should be "hard to scratch" etc. But if someone was to tell me it never scratches especially under gentle use, I could only respectfully say that was their experience yet not mine. And in reality, that's all the farther it needs to go.

Call me anal but I like screen protectors. Give me 10 min to prep my area and a scotch tape dispenser and I have mastered the screen protector application process. I don't get bubbles or dust induced bubble humps. With exception to edges it's a flawless and IMHO unknown shield after instal etc. Not all screen protectors are equal either - some you can scratch with a cotton towel. Others, like what I use are very resilient and last me about 8 months prior to a reapplication. And at about $15-20 for a three pack it's cheap piece of mind. I sold our first two iPads being well over a year old with their original protectors still on.

Bottom line, out of the initial three iPads we purchased, the cheapest (a 16gb wifi) was left unprotected for a little over a week. That resulted in three quite evident, though not significant scratches. Were they in the glass or protective coating? I didn't care, it was scratched either way, and no amount of rubbing/buffing took them out. I was as shocked as any would be, yet have continued to protect ever since.

Personal experience is key to how each of us think and react to near everything in our lives.

It's all good.

Happy Mothers day to those that it applies to.... :)

Last edited:

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your input, KJ. It was scratching (after only being in my pocket and nothing more) of my original iPhone and 3G, after which I said NO MORE! Never again. I've been protecting all my iDevices ever since. It's just not worth it - I need perfect glass at all times without the remote possibility of a scratch ever. That's worth $15 to me once every 3-4 months. But my iPhone gets way more potentially risky use than my iPads have. I will end up going naked on my iPad 3 since its so well protected in my Dexim folio. But on my iPhone - no. Too risky IMHO. And the Zagg InvisiShield I use also eliminates the glare and mirror effect of the naked glass (which I do not like) and it also is finger oil resistant way more than the "alleged" coating on the Gorilla glass.

Each to his own, though.

Most reactions