What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Screen Composition

Len S. Fine

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
lensfine.com
Does anyone know exactly what Ipad's Screen is made up of?
I read somewhere that its a kind of Aluminum Silicate?
Some say its not Gorilla Glass from Corning Ware and some say yes.

GDsunshine

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Durable glass ? I didn't read any article that Apple says its gorilla glass nor Corning ware...

Sent from my Gold iPhone 6 128g using Tapatalk

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Modern Gorilla Glass was developed by Corning at the request of Apple who went on to use it in the iPhone. Modern iphones use ion strengthened glass but I'm not sure it's still the Gorilla Glass made by Corning or a similar product from another manufacturer.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Does anyone know exactly what Ipad's Screen is made up of?
I read somewhere that its a kind of Aluminum Silicate?
Some say its not Gorilla Glass from Corning Ware and some say yes.

Well, by the 'iPad's Screen' do you mean simply the surface or the entire screen which consists of three layers: 1) Surface glass; 2) Touch screen; and 3) LCD - I just purchased a new iPad Air 2 and part of the 'thinness' of the device is contributed to the 'fusion' of these three components (see attached pic from HERE).

Of course, the specifics of this now component 'layer' is proprietary, i.e. do you work for Apple? But the glass layer is certainly based on 'Gorilla Glass' by Corning - see quote below (Source); now is the glass produced only by Corning and/or other manufacturers? Don't know - BUT, after using the iPad 2 for nearly 4 years, I'm glad to own the newest iPad product - Dave :)

Aluminosilicate glass has a special mixture of materials like silicon dioxide, aluminum and oxygen that creates a particularly resilient type of glass. When properly prepared, this glass is scratch-resistant and difficult to break or shatter. Consumer electronics ranging from televisions to smartphones rely on aluminosilicate glass to withstand daily use.
Screen Shot 2014-12-09 at 6.21.23 PM.png

Most reactions