What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Google announces optimized Gmail for iPad

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
google-gmail-ipad-ver.jpg

Google has announced an optimized version of Gmail for the iPad. The new version includes a new interface taking advantage of the extra screen real estate the iPad has to offer.

"We're releasing an experimental user interface for the iPad built on the Gmail for mobile HTML5 web app that we launched last year for the iPhone and Android devices. Those devices have large screens compared to other phones, and tablets like the iPad give us even more room to innovate. To take advantage of the iPad's large display, we've created a two-pane view with your list of conversations on the left and messages to the right.
iPad users will be automatically presented with the new format when they navigate to gmail.com on the device."

brobar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's cool. I'm surprised that people don't just hook up their google mail directly through the mail application on the iPad though instead of going to an optimized web page... that way you get push send/receive, notifications of incoming mail, successful outgoing mail, searchable mail directly from within the device, etc...

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is nice, I spend so much time in Gmail!

Edlex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Works great ony touch so I can't wait to use it on my 3G ipad. In another month of course. :(

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's also a calendar app for the iPod called CalenGoo I believe, it links directly with your Google Calendar if that's what you use.

I do use the Google Calendar - but then have iCal sync with my MobileMe account so there's some duplication as well. Something else I do is to forward a copy of all of my e-mail to my me.com account. And then once every month or two I go in and nuke the inbox. That way I've got an emergency backup in case I throw something away by accident.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
do someone know if it's app or web app's ?? because i dono why in my 3GS i dislike to use my gmail in safari i really prefer read & reply in Mail ...

Most reactions