What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Low Memory!! Is there an app for that?

OP
stever

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK,OK,

I am not sure...
I am afraid I had not documented well enough how or why the memory showed as low.
I did not get any program to explore it,
although I would still like to find a good memory explorer/analyzer.

I did a Reset of the IPad:
  1. The first step is to find the power button. When you are holding your iPad, it should be in portrait mode, or the how you hold a book, with the long sides vertical. The power button on the iPad should be on the top right hand side.
  2. After you have located the power button on the iPad, you will want to hold down that button for 3 seconds. Then, then a rectangular box should pop up on your iPad that has a white arrow facing toward the right.
  3. Once you see the slider button, simply slide your finger along the iPad to power off. Once you have slid the button, the iPad should shut down on its own.
  4. Before you turn your iPad back on you will want to wait 10-15 seconds. Then locate the power button, and hold it for 3 seconds; your iPad should power up. Once you have reset your iPad, you performance should improve.
and am happy again.

USN_Retired

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need to Delete the "Other" file

Gentlefury,

Other is any data created by apps...sometimes it is cache data sometimes it is user created content, if you delete the app it should take the data with it...my iPod touch had something like 3GB of other on it...I had to refresh the device to get rid of it.

My Other file has grown to 16gb and filled up all usable storage space on my iPad. Is there anyway to delete it without having to restore the device. My laptop with all of my backups is out of the state for the next month. I am really concerned about losing everything I have paid for.

USN_Retired

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I need to Delete the "Other" file

Thanks great idea but not the answer I was hoping for. :)

Beech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK. Yes I only have a 16 Ipad. (till the 3Gs come out.)

Short Version:
Got "Low Memory" warning today !
Is there an App to help manage the memory usage?

(to list what apps/items are using what amount of memory?)

Yes... Of COURSE I have installed many apps.
  • Lots of News apps. (Reuters, NPR, NYT, BBC, Weather Channel, several others)
  • Lots of the solitaire apps
  • Several simple games. None of the really high graphic ones.
  • Sticky notes, Drawing programs.
  • Lots of other apps.
  • NO music yet.
  • NO photos yet.
  • I haven't even started syncing any files from the desktop machine.

So, is there anything that will help me analyze where my heavy memory use is?

(This may help me decide which 3G to get.)
If you use apps of magazines and you download editions, the size of the app in the apps-survey in iTunes doesn't change, but the total used memory is increased.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
stever said:
although I would still like to find a good memory explorer/analyzer.

I use XSysInfo - it gives you a breakdown by process of current memory usage, and has two levels of memory cleansing.

Nateboyd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
I use XSysInfo - it gives you a breakdown by process of current memory usage, and has two levels of memory cleansing.

Really? I have XSysInfo and don't see a way to get process-level memory usage?

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nateboyd said:
Really? I have XSysInfo and don't see a way to get process-level memory usage?

Just tap on Processes under Category, and it'll show the list of processes in memory.

Most reactions

Latest posts