What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some proccess is taking up almost 900MB of memory

tomarseneault

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All,

I use an App called "System Status" ver 5.2.1 last build Jan. to monitor my memory usage (real memory not storage space). The iPad Air 2 comes with 2GB of memory, way cool, but when I check available memory with just the status app running something is using almost 900MB of the memory, varies over time, after a reboot was down to 700Mb). I'm running IOS 8.3. On my iPad 3 (running IOS 8.2) with only the status app running used memory was only about 300MB.

Is there an app that will show memory usage for each running app? Where I don't need to jail break box.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I use an App called "System Status" ver 5.2.1 last build Jan. to monitor my memory usage (real memory not storage space). The iPad Air 2 comes with 2GB of memory, way cool, but when I check available memory with just the status app running something is using almost 900MB of the memory, varies over time, after a reboot was down to 700Mb). I'm running IOS 8.3. On my iPad 3 (running IOS 8.2) with only the status app running used memory was only about 300MB.

Is there an app that will show memory usage for each running app? Where I don't need to jail break box.

Hi Tom - I have the same app on my iPad Air 2 but really have not use it much, so not an expert - just took a look and generated a 'memory usage' bar graph (shown below) - the categories seem pretty generic, as explained in the second image from the developer's website HERE - not sure that the app can 'break down' the processes running and their use percentage?

I do have another app called DeviceStats that lists the active processes (currently have 105 running on my device) but does not give any more details but a listing and the PID number - not of much help, sorry. Unlike OS X, Apple seems to really limit what the developer's can do w/i the depths of iOS - Dave :)
IMG_2938.PNG
Screen Shot 2015-05-10 at 6.11.54 PM.png

OP
T

tomarseneault

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tom - I have the same app on my iPad Air 2 but really have not use it much, so not an expert - just took a look and generated a 'memory usage' bar graph (shown below) - the categories seem pretty generic, as explained in the second image from the developer's website HERE - not sure that the app can 'break down' the processes running and their use percentage?

I do have another app called DeviceStats that lists the active processes (currently have 105 running on my device) but does not give any more details but a listing and the PID number - not of much help, sorry. Unlike OS X, Apple seems to really limit what the developer's can do w/i the depths of iOS - Dave :)
View attachment 64572 View attachment 64573
The developers page says that the OS will keep recent apps in memory which explains the mem ussage, however after a reboot there should be no 'recent' apps, unless a shut down dumps memory and restores it at reboot (like windows hibernate). Does this happen?

Tom

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The developers page says that the OS will keep recent apps in memory which explains the mem ussage, however after a reboot there should be no 'recent' apps, unless a shut down dumps memory and restores it at reboot (like windows hibernate). Does this happen?

Hi again Tom - I'm assuming that the 900 MB you mentioned in the OP is the 'active' memory usage shown in my bar graph (mine is about the same) - this does not represent a single app using memory but all that are active; the 'inactive' category which is quite small represents those apps that are kind of suspended ready to reopen - little need to really dump this small usage - of course, the control panel would permit 'force closing' these inactive apps but I never do unless one is misbehaving.

As a test, I did an iPad 'Reset' (i.e. w/ the HOME & ON-OFF buttons leading to a reboot) - when I opened DeviceStats, I actually had about a half dozen more processes running (about 105 to 112); also, looking in the 'Control Panel', my apps in suspension were about the same number, so iOS must keep track of these even w/ a hard reboot of the device.

But out of curiosity, if your iPad is functioning well, why are you that concerned about this memory usage? I have the apps that feebly view iOS's memory, storage, processes, network, etc. but just not to the same degree as OS X on my MBPro - where is the 'Activity Monitor' when you need one for your iPad? Non-existent - Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts