What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting a Kindle even though I have an iPad?

Yoshiki UK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone on here has got both a Kindle and an iPad and what their thoughts are on having both? Is it worth having both or is it a waste of money. I have recently got back into ebooks, as I am starting to read both an ebook and print book at the same time (well, not exactly at the same time, that would take some skill). However, I do find the iPad a bit too big to comfortably hold and there is something about the screen that doesn't seem to lend itself well to my eyes, and as I like reading in bed the screen makes my eyes tired.

I like the look of the Kindle's e-ink and size (and price), and just wanted some opinions on whether it is worth having both.

VitaW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both but you need to ask yourself where you will be reading. Are you going to be reading outside by the pool a lot? Do you have problems with your eyes? If so then get a kindle. I love mine. Easy to read outside in bright sunlight and lightweight and easy on the eyes. On the other hand I love my iPad for reading at night while my husband is sleeping since I can read it in the dark.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the OP is from the UK, as the screen name suggests, they won't have trouble with bright sunlight...:D

Tim

SCCAguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yoshiki UK said:
I was just wondering if anyone on here has got both a Kindle and an iPad and what their thoughts are on having both? Is it worth having both or is it a waste of money. I have recently got back into ebooks, as I am starting to read both an ebook and print book at the same time (well, not exactly at the same time, that would take some skill). However, I do find the iPad a bit too big to comfortably hold and there is something about the screen that doesn't seem to lend itself well to my eyes, and as I like reading in bed the screen makes my eyes tired.

I like the look of the Kindle's e-ink and size (and price), and just wanted some opinions on whether it is worth having both.

I found a Kindle app for my iPad 2, and I downloaded a bunch of free books to it from Amazon. So, I don't need a separate Kindle.
SCCAguy

Mike_73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Sony e-ink reader, but I'm only using my iPad as I rarely read outside. And even if I do (I sometimes read on my balcony), it's not sunny enough here in Germany. I just have to crank up the brightness and it works.
It's maybe not that great for reading longer periods, but for the quick read while sipping a coffee outside, it works.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have both a Kindle and an iPad 2 in the household. My wife uses the Kindle and I use the iPad though there is a little overlap from time to time.

Others have pointed out the advantage of the Kindle for reading outside. And coming from the Pacific NW, the UK of the US, I'd say that you don't have to be lying in the full sun at the beach to see the difference. Having said that, however, the iPad is usable in all but the brightest sunshine. (Yes, Seattle does have sunshine from time to time.)

Overall, the Kindle's e-ink display is superior for extended reading if the backlighting of the iPad produces eye strain for you. On the other hand, that same backlighting eliminates the need for a booklight while reading in bed at night. All in all, each device has advantages and disadvantages.

The form factor is definitely a Kindle advantage for book reading. (My wife has the smaller version.) I find the iPad perfectly readable in my lap but I have to admit that for reading in almost any position the Kindle is a better choice. It's the size and little more than the weight) of a trade paperback. The iPad is like a VERY heavy magazine. On the other hand, the iPad is far better for reading large format magazines, especially if you want to emulate the color of a magazine. (For color you have to select another e-reader such as the Nook Color.)

In addition, my wife can put the Kindle in her purse and not even think about it. Not so with the iPad. Compared to a laptop the iPad is a marvel of portability, but compared to the Kindle, it requires significantly more space and accessories.

Comparisons in terms of connectivity are a bit trickier. 3G connectivity is free with the Kindle if you purchase the 3G model at a slightly higher price. And that might be an advantage if you do not have 3G connectivity for your iPad. At least for us, however, it's a nit. (I use a mifi hotspot router from Verizon) that provides cell-based wifi for both devices. And frankly, my wife downloads books when she's at home with our wifi home network.)

Finally, the battery life of the Kindle versus the iPad bears mentioning. The iPad's battery life is excellent for a tablet but it doesn't come close to battery life of the Kindle. I use the iPad frequently enough to need to charge it every day. My wife charges her Kindle at most once a week. It's an apples to oranges comparison (pardon the pun), of course. If I used the iPad only for the same functionality as the Kindle, the iPad's performance on this measure would look much better. But you're not going to do that.

All in all, I'd say that if you can afford both devices, the Kindle (or another e-reader) may be worth the investment. It certainly is in our household with two users. My wife can become obsessed with a novel and if she didn't have the Kindle she'd monopolize the iPad for days at a time.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a perfectly adequate (though not optimal) e-reader along with all the other functionality a tablet provides, the iPad can do the job.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had a kindle prior to my iPad. If I were to go to the beach or sit outside, I would use my kindle. But for inside my iPad is better as it is backlit and I don't have to bother my husband with the lights. And since I have the kindle app for iPad, it links to the last page you read on either device so I never have to figure out where I left off!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Both Kindles and iPads here too. I use iPad most of the time, Kindle for reading outside/holidays etc... Nice to have the choice of e-ink and LCD, and everything kept in sync.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
gretchen_wright23 said:
I had a kindle prior to my iPad. If I were to go to the beach or sit outside, I would use my kindle. But for inside my iPad is better as it is backlit and I don't have to bother my husband with the lights. And since I have the kindle app for iPad, it links to the last page you read on either device so I never have to figure out where I left off!

This. :)

Dawgluver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too have both, and agree with all the benefits mentioned. I also have the Kindle app on my BB, laptop, and PC as well as on the IPad.

I have a waterproof case for my Kindle, and can read it IN the pool! I also like to read Kindle on airplane trips as it's so lightweight.

autumnbaby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both; my Kindle is for reading and my iPad is for playing.

I hate reading on an LSD screen so the only time I have read on the iPad was when I forgot to grab my Kindle (that was not a fun day) or when the reading material has a lot of pictures and/or is in color (my People magazine).

Hdchiky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same here... but my Kindle was bought 'AFTER' the iPad was purchased and used for reading. I love them both but the Kindle is much smaller and easy to throw in my purse on the run, not so heavy when reading in bed. Though, usually I have the Kindle, my iPad, the iPhone and sometimes a purchased book in my bag with me all the time. You never know when you might need one of them...

Chiky

Most reactions

Latest posts