What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freedom Pro Keyboard

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Freedom-Pro-Bluetooth-Keyboard/dp/B0030IT6AO"]Amazon[/ame] $85

I bought this keyboard for when I travel and want to instant message with my wife while in Europe or any extended period where I want type on a real keyboard that clicks. It's small, compact, easy to set up. It takes a little getting used to because of the seam in the middle...the space bar has to be broken up and some of the keys near the center are a little different sized.

Since it is really meant for Blackberries and the like and you can't install keyboard drivers on the iPad (that I can figure out anyhow - perhaps someone can help here with a jailbroken iPad), most of the shortcuts do not work. However, the function volume up and down DO work.

All in all, I like it; it's better than the software keyboard for extended use. However, it's not the end all be all. I really liked the look of the Apple Bluetooth keyboard, but it doesn't fold up. This folds up to something smaller than the footprint of say a paperback book.

EDIT: I put this on eBay actually.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220627585611&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Last edited:

freedom-input

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I work on tech support for freedom input .
We are bringing out a new bluetooth keyboard called the i-Connex.
this will be aimed at the ipad market and the iphone when the OS4 software gets pushed.
No drivers will be required to make it run.
details are on the freedom input website :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Damn, maybe I will have to sell mine then. :( Is it still going to fold up?

This crap always happens...I buy the product, THEN it comes out with a new version. :( I wish you guys had an upgrade path.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I will be keeping an eye on this... not for me, but for my wife.... I don't like extra crap to drag around , and have no real issues with the onboard keyboard... but my precious wife would like a keyboard to use for her extended writing sessions...... The folding part appeals to me, the Apple one is just to much to deal with..... THE IPAD IS PORTABLE, I want to keep it that way....

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Okay Freedom guy.... freedom.com is some site hawking newpapers.... please post your URL and you may get some biz from hanging around here....

rowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
rowan.us
Any chance it will be the same width as an iPad?
If you mean the width when the iPad is in landscape (like you'd be typing with it), then you've got about 9.6 inches/243 mm for the iPad and the keyboard opened is 12.6 inches/319 mm, so...

No, the keyboard is longer by a solid 3 inches/76 mm.

But, if you mean you want to pack them both into a carrying case of some kind, then I assume you mean the width of the shorter side of the iPad at about 7.5 inches/190 mm with the keyboard closed measuring 6.4 inches/163 mm, so...

Yes, the keyboard is shorter than the shorter side of the iPad when it's folded up.

rowan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
rowan.us
Also...

…Now here is the deal..... from NOW until June 15th 2010 we are taking PRE-ORDERS for this item at the following reduced price:

£49.99 sterling ( RRP £59.99 )
€59.99 euros ( RRP €69.99 )
$59.99 Dollars ( RRP $69.99)
All the other Freedom keyboards on Amazon seem to have at least these discounts applied so I don't see much of an advantage in pre-ordering one just for the discount. The big disadvantage is buying something untested/unreviewed and the possibility of another company coming out with something competitive.

It does look like the kind of keyboard I would buy (so I'm not ragging on it) but bear in mind it seems to be dependent on running OS 4.0 which ain't gonna be out for the iPad for a while.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All in all, I like it; it's better than the software keyboard for extended use. However, it's not the end all be all. I really liked the look of the Apple Bluetooth keyboard, but it doesn't fold up.

Ditto - the ideal keyboard would be something as thin as the Apple, but that folds.

OP
M

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know I will probably be eBaying mine and using the iPad one when it comes out.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I work on tech support for freedom input .
We are bringing out a new bluetooth keyboard called the i-Connex.
this will be aimed at the ipad market and the iphone when the OS4 software gets pushed.
No drivers will be required to make it run.
details are on the freedom input website :)

Welcome to our forum we appreciate your input however it's best to introduce your self first before posting direct advertizing is not permitted please read our rules. Hope you understand
enjoy the forum

Col

Most reactions

Latest posts