What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those that think the iPad is just a toy...

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I'm finishing the final preparations of a new consulting branch to my company. The official roll out is at a presentation in two weeks. Using the iPad and Keynote, I've designed the entire presentation and have it pretty much ready to go. Keynote, while not as robust as the full Mac version, still has plenty of features to look beautiful and quite professional. Exporting the presentation to my MacBook Pro for the projection portion of the presentation. The iPad is honestly going to be a focal point of an interactive portfolio for meetings with new clients. The flexibility of this machine is completely dependent on pulling your mind out of the box and discovering the best implementation. I'm using iBooks to hold all of my static Adobe documents and have Pages at the ready for pulling additional documents.

Anyone that thinks this is simply a toy and can't figure out how it can be implemented in the business world is dead wrong. I believe it is actually only going to get stronger in this venue as it develops. I have been so far past impressed with it since the purchase it isn't even funny.

At this point, I even use it to work on a book I've been writing. Gotten quite used to the virtual keyboard and fly on it. Feels almost natural, in all honesty. The benefit to working on the presentations and book is the "instant on" nature of the iPad. Before when I used to have ideas, I would have to get the laptop, wait for it to boot up and then work. Now, just turn it on and I'm ready to go.

Absolutely excellent.

Last edited:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Yep.

Many people get frustrated that its not an exact match to their laptop, and get made that apple isn't making the ipad into a full laptop. You just need to look at tools available and use them as best you can.

I use my iPad with my job in IT and no longer cary a laptop with my. I just use my iPad for pretty much everything.

r34p3rex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad makes a great device for medical clinics also! There are alot of professional grade apps out now (they cost a pretty penny though)

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
As with all new technology there will be the naysayers. Those who can't see beyond their prejudgments. But there will also be the developers and users that push the technology into new and innovative areas.

Got my first computer (Sinclair ZX80) in 1980. I got online back in 1984 with my Commodore 64. Was on a service here in Texas called "Startext" and loved it. Most people just laughed at it. I would talk about email, and people said they could not think of a use for it. They snickered and said who needs a computer when you got a envelope and a stamp. I told folks I got my news off the computer... they thought it was silly, a waste of time....just a toy. It took several years before computers because mainstream, and a lot longer before the internet became common.....

Small minds often see technology as a threat. They don't "get it", so they fear it, and attack the device and it's users......

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I only care to use my iPad as a toy. I've got all the business devices I need and I'm not letting Corporate into this one.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Its a really great toy though. My decision to buy the iPad was a 90% based on remote desktop capabilities so I can get into work PCs remotely. Now, that I have it, I spend about 90% of my time on the iPad on entertainment. It was the 10% that made it worth the money though.

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone that thinks this is simply a toy and can't figure out how it can be implemented in the business world is dead wrong.

It is a toy and always will be. And also an excellent business tool. The IPad is what you want it to be. I personally think the iPad is going to flourish into a medical tool very soon. My doctor told me one of their pharmaceutical companies is working on a program tha allows patients to monitor their blood pressure. The patients just strap on the cuff and the iPad takes over, logging and recording blood pressure and providing electronic charts for the doctors. WOW this is just the beginning folks.

drwinston001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have and never will use my iPad for work purposes. I simply have no need to, but I can see how it can be used in many areas.

As has already been said, people who don't have an iPad see it's limitations. Those of us lucky enough to have one can see it's limitless.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
to me it not a really a toy but a tool in the tool box for me.. it help me keep track of things along with beening a device that allows me to have fun with games on the unit along with music ..

i donot really feel it a toy but a all around device for a person to use in there life..that my 2.cents on the matter

OP
J

jkhonea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Anyone that thinks this is simply a toy and can't figure out how it can be implemented in the business world is dead wrong.

It is a toy and always will be. And also an excellent business tool. The IPad is what you want it to be. I personally think the iPad is going to flourish into a medical tool very soon. My doctor told me one of their pharmaceutical companies is working on a program tha allows patients to monitor their blood pressure. The patients just strap on the cuff and the iPad takes over, logging and recording blood pressure and providing electronic charts for the doctors. WOW this is just the beginning folks.

I should have worded that better. Those that think it can ONLY be a toy are wrong. ;)

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I should have worded that better. Those that think it can ONLY be a toy are wrong. ;)
Yup.. you are right with that statement. ;)

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The trouble is that we have been conditioned by computers for the last 20 years.
It's we who have to think out of the box.

The most flexible users are the young or the complete computing noob who use the iPad without preconceptions.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
The trouble is that we have been conditioned by computers for the last 20 years.
It's we who have to think out of the box.

The most flexible users are the young or the complete computing noob who use the iPad without preconceptions.

I don't know if I agree 100% with that statement.... :)

The young know only of computers, they do not know of a time without ..... I see they (like most people) have a comfort zone, and expectations that can be limiting. The "buying" age of the iPad is higher than most electronic (geek) devices, and most actually iPad users I have contact with are wide open to potential uses....

An older person has moved through tape drives, floppy drives, hard drives, jump drives, serial ports, analog modems, CRT monitors, DOS, Win 3.1 - Win 7, all the flavors of OSX....etc. Many older folks like me look at the iPad and accept it (for example) doesn't have a USB drive, because wireless and "cloud" storage is taking over. The young seem to think USB has always been, and without it anything is crippled or useless or.... a toy.......

I don't know, really a bet it just depends on the person... and not the age.....

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
heh remember the only difference between the man an the boy is the cost of his toys (gadgets).

Opened the door to the postman this morning holding my iPad and have just sold another one........wonder if apple does commisisons?

It's so easy. Ask for their post code. Google Maps. Streetview and show them their house.......

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
People forget that the human being's biggest quality is "adaptability".

You can do business with a pen and paper. That's how it's been done before for eons.
The iPad is several notches over that, whatever Apple wishes it to be...

Most reactions

Latest posts