What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Florida Panhandle & Tallahassee

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Panama City Beach - Gulf World Marine Park

On our fourth full day, we decided to visit the Panama City Beach area to visit Gulf World Marine Park in the morning, find a light lunch, and then go to St. Andrews State Park in the afternoon (will be described in the next post).

Panama City is the largest town between Tallahassee and Pensacola and is tourist oriented and popular for the white sand beaches. The Gulf World Marine Park is of moderate size and does not match some of the larger marine parks that we have visited, but was still enjoyable - brief description of the attractions quoted below (link in first paragraph) - we saw several shows, including one w/ Otto the sea lion, a seal, and a remarkable dolphin. Pics below are mainly mine - if in the area, a recommendation, especially if kids are part of your party. Dave :)

See fascinating shows featuring dolphins, sea lions, tropical birds and reptiles. Explore exhibits showcasing sharks, penguins, alligators, flamingos and much more. Visit the stingray petting pool. Make your reservation today for one of our interactive programs that allows you to get up close and personal with the Swim With A Dolphin, or become a Trainer for a Day or attend a Dolphin Day Camp. Our Tropical Garden Theatre offers night shows throughout the year, we feature magicians, family variety shows and musical concerts.
Panama_A1.png
Panama_A2.png
Panama_A3.JPG
Panama_A4.JPG
Panama_A5.JPG
Panama_A6.JPG
Panama_B1.JPG
Panama_B2.JPG
Panama_B3.JPG
Panama_B4.JPG

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
St. Andrews State Park

St. Andrews State Park is apparently one of the most popular ones in Florida not only because of the white sands and the multi-colored water, but also for the wide variety of activities available (as described in the quote below from the link). The Park is just east of Panama Beach City and consists of two parts, the western portion w/ the entrance and the many activities centered at the southeastern tip, and the eastern portion on Shell Island, a short boat shuttle away (we did not go on the boat).

Most of the pics below (after the schematic diagram) are my own - the beaches indeed are beautiful and the water colors spectacular. A stop at Gator Lake was rewarding w/ a small deer (thought that an alligator would pop out for a snack!), a great blue heron, and a number of apparent shore bird rookeries present - however, did not see a gator (the one shown below is a web pic from Shell Island).

This was our last night @ the WaterColor Inn - the next day onto Tallahassee for a one-night stay, and to see several of the state capital buildings and the Museum of Florida History - Dave :)

Well-known for its sugar white sands and emerald green waters, this former military reservation has over one-and-a-half miles of beaches on the Gulf of Mexico and Grand Lagoon. Water sports enthusiasts can enjoy swimming, snorkeling, scuba diving, kayaking and canoeing. Two fishing piers, a jetty, and a boat ramp provide ample fishing opportunities for anglers. Two nature trails wind through a rich diversity of coastal plant communities - a splendid opportunity for bird-watching. Those wanting to relax can sunbathe on the beach or enjoy a leisurely lunch under the shade of a picnic pavilion. A campground for RVers and tent campers, as well as a primitive group camping area, make this park a popular overnight destination. A concession offers snacks, souvenirs and fishing amenities. Shell Island Boat Tours are available during the spring, summer and some of the fall.
StAndrews_A1.png
StAndrews_A2.jpg
StAndrews_A3.png
StAndrews_A4.jpg
StAndrews_A5.jpg
StAndrews_A6.png
StAndrews_B1.JPG
StAndrews_B2.JPG
StAndrews_B3.JPG
StAndrews_B4.JPG
StAndrews_B5.JPG
StAndrews_B6.jpg
StAndrews_B7.JPG
StAndrews_B8.JPG

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My folks owned a condo in Panama City Beach. We went down quite a bit and really enjoyed those white sand beaches. I think I remember going to Gulf World a long time ago. Thanks for the pics, Dave. You brought memories back for me!

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My folks owned a condo in Panama City Beach. We went down quite a bit and really enjoyed those white sand beaches. I think I remember going to Gulf World a long time ago. Thanks for the pics, Dave. You brought memories back for me!

Hi Ski..... - long time since we've exchanged posts - thanks for 'chiming in' - I always hope on these travelogues that locals or other travelers to the places we visit will add some posts.

Not sure when you last visited (was our first time), but the area is really built-up and reminds me of parts of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - I drove the lower beach routes (on the map below) and did not take the upper road to Panama City proper. Dave :)
panama-city-beach-map1.jpg
Skyline-of-Beachfront-Panama-City-Beach-Florida-condos-and-homes-for-sale.jpg
Pier Park Entrance_f482ef9e-0811-4258-9cfd-db3d3c4f1e96.jpg

Last edited:
OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Tallahassee - State Capital of Florida

We arrived in the state capital late in the morning and had an early lunch near our underground parking garage, which was just a few blocks from the state buildings and the history museum that we visited in the afternoon - the sites seen were the New State Capitol, Old State Capitol/Museum, & Museum of Florida History - each will be a separate post to follow.

This was our first visit to Tallahassee and I wondered years ago why the capital of Florida was so far north near the Georgia border - an easy answer once Florida's history is understood - in 1824, the city became the state capital and continued so when the territory was admitted to the Union in 1845 - at that time Florida had only 66,500 people and virtually all lived in the most northern part of the state (see graph & third pic below) - w/ the introduction of automobiles, better roads, and the railroad industry (mainly led by Henry Flagler), the population of the state exploded and the density of people moved south in early 20th century.

The quotes below from Tallahassee's Wiki Article, along w/ a few additional pics - the map & aerial view show the places we visited, and a few about Florida State University and its impressive football stadium - the Seminoles are often a major presence in the ACC and have won three national football championships. Dave :)

Tallahassee is the capital of the U.S. state of Florida, the county seat of Leon County, and the 126th largest city in the United States. Tallahassee became the capital of Florida, then the Florida Territory, in 1824. In 2010, the population was 181,376,[5] and the Tallahassee metropolitan area is 375,751 as of 2014. Tallahassee is the largest city in the Northwest Florida region.

Tallahassee is home to Florida State University, ranked the nation's forty-third best public university by U.S. News & World Report. It is also home to the Florida A&M University, one of the country's largest historically black universities by total enrollment. Tallahassee Community College is a large community college which serves mainly as a feeder school to both Florida State and Florida A&M. Tallahassee qualifies as significant college town with a student population exceeding 70,000.
Tallahassee_A1.png
Tallahassee_A2.png
Tallahassee_A3.png
Tallahassee_A4.png
Tallahassee_A5.png
Tallahassee_B1.png
Tallahassee_B2.png
Tallahassee_B3.png

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tallahassee - State Capital of Florida

We arrived in the state capital late in the morning and had an early lunch near our underground parking garage, which was just a few blocks from the state buildings and the history museum that we visited in the afternoon - the sites seen were the New State Capitol, Old State Capitol/Museum, & Museum of Florida History - each will be a separate post to follow.

This was our first visit to Tallahassee and I wondered years ago why the capital of Florida was so far north near the Georgia border - an easy answer once Florida's history is understood - in 1824, the city became the state capital and continued so when the territory was admitted to the Union in 1845 - at that time Florida had only 66,500 people and virtually all lived in the most northern part of the state (see graph & third pic below) - w/ the introduction of automobiles, better roads, and the railroad industry (mainly led by Henry Flagler), the population of the state exploded and the density of people moved south in early 20th century.

The quotes below from Tallahassee's Wiki Article, along w/ a few additional pics - the map & aerial view show the places we visited, and a few about Florida State University and its impressive football stadium - the Seminoles are often a major presence in the ACC and has won three national football championships. Dave :)

View attachment 71885 View attachment 71886 View attachment 71887 View attachment 71888 View attachment 71889 View attachment 71890 View attachment 71891 View attachment 71892
Thanks for helping me learn something about Tallahassee. I knew it was theFlorida capital but knew nothing more about the city.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Governors Inn & Avenue Restaurant

Well, I decided to add an additional post - after our tour of the Tallahassee buildings and museum, we checked into the Governors Inn, just a few blocks from our parking garage - the place is an eclectic boutique inn w/ multiple restored buildings brought together w/ timber-framed architecture - multiple levels and stairs only - the bellman had to hand carry our luggage - the room had two high poster beds (pic below from a different room but same bed; Susan needed a stepping stool to get onto the bed and did not like the experience) - I loved the place, especially the timber-framing, Susan was less pleased and would likely not return if we ever visited the town again - a few pics below.

There are plenty of restaurants w/i walking distance since we were located in the historic downtown area - our bellman recommended Avenue - Eat & Drink, just two blocks away (pic of the outside below) - the inside is split between a 'bar area' and 'eating tables' - we started w/ small mixed green salads (fresh & w/ a light citrus vinaigrette) - our entrees are shown below (I had the grouper which was excellent); we shared the dessert - recommended if you are in the vicinity. Dave :)
Governors-Inn_1.jpg
Governors-Inn_2.jpg
Governors-Inn_3.jpg
Governors-Inn_4.png
Governors-Inn_5.jpg
Governors-Inn_6.png

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for helping me learn something about Tallahassee. I knew it was theFlorida capital but knew nothing more about the city.

One of the major characters in the development of 'modern' Florida was Henry Flagler, co-founder of Standard Oil (w/ John Rockefeller), railroad magnate, and real estate developer - from Jacksonville, he eventually extended his Florida East Coast Railway to Key West, and was pivotal in the development of St. Augustine, Palm Beach, and Miami Beach (and other places) - the time period for his involvement was the late 1800s into the early 20th century.

He built his 'main' mansion known as Whitehall in Palm Beach, which is opened to the public as both a house and museum - a MUST visit if in the area - Susan & I have been there probably three times (her parents use to live in Delray Beach, about a 45 minute drive on the beautiful AIA HW - have not been on that road in more than 10 years now - both of my in-laws have passed away). On the ocean in Palm Beach is a Flagler creation, i.e. the Breakers Hotel, a luxury 5-diamond resort - Susan & I have stayed there just once (a medical meeting, so MUCH less expensive for me).

But for those interested in how much Flagler did in the development of east coast Florida, check out the first link above, and scroll down to 'Florida: Resort Hotels and Railroads' - Dave :)
Flagler_1.png
Flagler_2.jpg
Flagler_3.JPG
Flagler_4.jpg
Flagler_5.jpg
Flagler_6.jpg

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Old Florida State Capitol

The Old Florida State Capitol is a beautiful building (see pics below - pretty self-explanatory - sorry that some of the photos found were 'stock') - it was scheduled for demolition after the 'new' capitol buildings were constructed in the early 1970s (next post), but was saved and restored to its 1902 state - this capitol building contained the entire Florida State legislature, supreme court, and governor's offices - the restoration is well done and many of the rooms are now a 'Capitol Museum' w/ an excellent introductory video - don't miss this structure if in Tallahassee - Dave :)

P.S. the red & white awnings on the windows are really special to the appearance of this building.

On the site of the Capitol Complex, in Tallahassee, Florida, US, are four very different buildings. The oldest is the nineteenth-century Old Capitol, restored and shrunken to its 1902 state. The other three are the House and Senate chambers and a 22-story Executive Office Building, sometimes called the New Capitol. The Old Capitol is an architecturally and historically significant building, having been listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

When the New Capitol was built in the 1970s, demolition of the Old Capitol was planned, and the design of the New Capitol reflects this. However, a successful preservation movement spontaneously arose. The decision was made to restore it to its 1902 state, and this was completed in 1982.

The Historic Capitol is located directly behind the new Capitol building. Its restored space includes besides the rotunda and halls, the Governor's Suite, Supreme Court, House of Representatives and Senate chambers, all of these as they were in 1902 and not in use for their original purposes. It is now a museum, the Florida Historic Capitol Museum, exhibiting the state's political history. The Museum is managed by the Florida Legislature (Source).
OldCapitol_A1.png
OldCapitol_A2.png
OldCapitol_A3.png
OldCapitol_A4.png
OldCapitol_A5.png
OldCapitol_A6.png
OldCapitol_B1.png
OldCapitol_B2.png
OldCapitol_B3.png
OldCapitol_B4.png
OldCapitol_B5.png
OldCapitol_B6.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Old Florida State Capitol

The Old Florida State Capitol is a beautiful building (see pics below - pretty self-explanatory - sorry that some of the photos found were 'stock') - it was scheduled for demolition after the 'new' capitol buildings were constructed in the early 1970s (next post), but was saved and restored to its 1902 state - this capitol building contained the entire Florida State legislature, supreme court, and governor's offices - the restoration is well done and many of the rooms are now a 'Capitol Museum' w/ an excellent introductory video - don't miss this structure if in Tallahassee - Dave :)

P.S. the red & white awnings on the windows are really special to the appearance of this building.

View attachment 71917 View attachment 71918 View attachment 71919 View attachment 71920 View attachment 71921 View attachment 71922 View attachment 71923 View attachment 71924 View attachment 71925 View attachment 71926 View attachment 71927 View attachment 71928
I'm glad they saved the old Capitol building from demolition. It certainly has more architectural merit than the new state Capitol. That the old Capitol was even considered for demolition shows how short sighted such decisions often are.

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm glad they saved the old Capitol building from demolition. It certainly has more architectural merit than the new state Capitol. That the old Capitol was even considered for demolition shows how short sighted such decisions often are.

Agree completely, the old Capitol building is beautiful and love the awnings on the windows - plus, now houses the Capitol Museum as linked in my previous post - not sure what would have been put in its place, maybe a parking lot - YUK!

The last time we encountered this was on my Lexington, Kentucky trip when the Mary Todd Lincoln house was also scheduled for demolition - glad that people exist in these communities to preserve these historic structures - in my town, a great example is the preservation of Old Salem founded in 1766 (250th year anniversary) and visited by George Washington on his tour when President (he stayed at Salem Tavern, still a restaurant) - just one pic below and could add many more! For those who may be visiting the Triad Area of North Carolina, a MUST visit. Dave :)
448.jpeg

Last edited:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Ski..... - long time since we've exchanged posts - thanks for 'chiming in' - I always hope on these travelogues that locals or other travelers to the places we visit will add some posts.

Not sure when you last visited (was our first time), but the area is really built-up and reminds me of parts of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - I drove the lower beach routes (on the map below) and did not take the upper road to Panama City proper. Dave :)
View attachment 71882 View attachment 71883 View attachment 71884

Hi Dave-if

View attachment 71882 View attachment 71883 View attachment 71884

It's been a long time since I been there. The last time was about 20 years ago, so I imagine that it's developed quite a bit. I remember our condo resort, Highland Resorts, being just across the beach. It was walking distance with pier access and all. The white sand beach was beautiful and the sunsets were amazing. I also remember going to Shell Island with my folks. Lots of memories, makes me want to dig up pictures we have of our time there! Thanks Dave, hope you are well! :)

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dave - It's been a long time since I been there. The last time was about 20 years ago, so I imagine that it's developed quite a bit. I remember our condo resort, Highland Resorts, being just across the beach. It was walking distance with pier access and all. The white sand beach was beautiful and the sunsets were amazing. I also remember going to Shell Island with my folks. Lots of memories, makes me want to dig up pictures we have of our time there! Thanks Dave, hope you are well! :)

Hi again Ski.... - Panama City Beach must have been a lot more 'laid back' and much less developed back then, and probably a more relaxing place to be - post some of your pics if you can find and scan any, if you like?

We did pass a number of piers, did not visit any, but your comments piqued my interest, so just a little more information. The two (of 4) most prominent piers are the Russell-Fields Pier & M.B. Miller Pier - the newest concrete ones constructed in 2009 & 2010 - assume that Ski.... was on the older wooden ones? Quoted below from the link given a general description of the piers and a more descriptive one of the M.B. Miller Pier; also a few pics of each pier - the fishing must be great at the ends of these long walkways. Dave :)

Panama City Beach offers fishermen 4 great fishing piers to choose from - 3 that reach far out into the Gulf of Mexico, and 1 that offers anglers a chance to cast their line into the Grand Lagoon.

The two most prominent fishing piers in Panama City Beach are the identical Russell-Fields Pier and the M.B. Miller Pier, often referred to as the City Pier and the County Pier. Constructed within a year of each other (completed in 2009 and 2010), these two concrete piers are built to resist hurricane damage and are the longest twin fishing piers on the Gulf of Mexico, stretching some 1,500 feet into excellent fishing grounds! In addition to fishermen, the piers are popular with spectators as well, who enjoy walking out over the water, witnessing some amazing catches, or just enjoying the unique view of the beach and the clear emerald waters swirling around the pilings of the piers.

Located on the beautiful Gulf of Mexico in Panama City Beach, the M.B Miller county Pier sits 1500 feet out into the Gulf of Mexico. Spectators can walk the pier for a daily fee of $3.00. Daily fishing licenses can be purchased for $6.00. Open all year. Fish caught in season: Cobia, King Mackerel, Spanish Mackerel, Red fish, Blues, Blue liners, Pompano, Flounder, Hardtails and other varieties. Rod rentals bait and tackle available on site.
Russel-Fields-Pier.jpg
2011-05-05_213-1096x705.jpg

OP
giradman

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
New Florida State Capitol

In the 1960s into the early '70s, there was a movement to move the state capital w/ Orlando being a major contender - in a ballot question, the voters decided to keep the capital in Tallahassee which was the impetus to build the 'new' capitol building - see first quote below (Source).

The new capitol complex consists of the 22 story central building and the adjacent domed-structures for the legislature bodies - only a handful of states in the USA have towered capitol buildings. The structure was completed in 1977 - more history below in the second quote (same Source). The state seal is not the current one but the seal from the time of the building's completion; the seal is "surrounded by five smaller seals representing the nations and kingdoms that exerted sovereignty over all or parts of Florida (France, Spain, Great Britain, the Confederate States of America, and the United States)." Also, "in 2003, the dolphin statue “Stormsong” by Tallahassee artist Hugh Nicholson was added within Waller Park’s Florida Heritage Fountain."

The pics below are all from the web (was a gloomy day w/ intermittent raining) and again I apologize for the watermarked stock images - best ones available. Dave :)

The 1960s were a time of political renewal in Florida, resulting in the Constitution of 1968. The thrust of the renewal was to force conservative, north Florida politicians to cede power to the greatly expanded (in population and economic power) central and south Florida, until then seriously underrepresented in the legislature. As part of this the discussion, the possible relocation of Florida's capital (convenient only to the north Floridians) closer to the state's center of population was considered.

A ballot question asked Florida voters to decide on the location of Florida's capital. Other major contenders were Ocala, Orlando, and Jacksonville. Through the ballot process, the voters decided that the capital would remain in Tallahassee. The moment was "ripe" for spending money on state facilities in Tallahassee. A dividing line had been crossed. Florida was different, renewed, and a new capitol was psychologically appropriate.

The Capitol is usually referred to as a twenty-two-story building with a height of 345 feet. However, including the 3 underground floors, it is a 25-story building. The Governor and the Cabinet members have their offices on the Plaza Level. Floors two through four of the base structure of the Capitol are used for the chambers of the Senate and House of Representatives.

The Legislative Chambers are on the fourth floor with their respective public viewing galleries on the fifth floor. The floors between the observation deck and the first five floors are executive and legislative offices. There is a Florida Welcome Center just inside the west Plaza Level entrance. Guided tours are conducted by Florida Welcome Center staff and are available. The Senate office building and the House office building are each four stories high and located on either end of Capitol Complex. The 2nd and 3rd floors have bridges that allow people to walk between the Capitol and office buildings. These buildings contain primarily committee meeting rooms and legislative offices. In 2003, the dolphin statue “Stormsong” by Tallahassee artist Hugh Nicholson was added within Waller Park’s Florida Heritage Fountain.
NewCapitol_A1.png
NewCapitol_A2.png
NewCapitol_A3.jpg
NewCapitol_A4.png
NewCapitol_B1.png
NewCapitol_B2.png
NewCapitol_B3.png
NewCapitol_B4.png
NewCapitol_B5.png
NewCapitol_B6.png

suenc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Eden Garden State Park

On our second day we decided to hit the fitness center in the morning then have a light lunch at the bar restaurant - in the afternoon, we drove north for a very short distance to visit Eden Gardens State Park - this is a former logging plantation w/ a beautiful house (unfortunately, the tours are limited to just certain days of the week and not available when we visited - so, if there and interested, check the tour times) - the house is beautiful and the park is an attractive site for weddings (see one pic below) - the gardens are small but well maintained w/ a plant nursery if you want to take one home.

A short walk to the dock and bayou is enjoyable (Susan is relaxing on a bench as the mullet were jumping in the water) - check the links for activities - many statues are present in the gardens, one shown as the last image below. A pleasant afternoon - the house tour would have been a nice addition - pics below pretty much self-explanatory (most are my own) - Dave :)

View attachment 71833 View attachment 71834 View attachment 71835 View attachment 71836 View attachment 71837 View attachment 71838 View attachment 71839 View attachment 71840 View attachment 71841 View attachment 71842 View attachment 71843 View attachment 71844
A lovely afternoon, charming Southern gardens. Re. the photo Dave took of me: I look much thinner when I sit up straight!

Most reactions

Latest posts