What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First post / slow iPad

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings all,
First post here and need to start with a general question of unknown issue or possible normal operation.

Wife and I each have first gen iPads: 16GB/wifi and a 32GB/3G. I just picked up the 32GB used yet still in the plastic and never activated on iTunes - I was the first to plug it in etc.

Back to back I updated her 16GB and then started up and updated the 32GB to iOS 4.3 right out of the plastic. Hers seems to be acting the same/slightly better than mine, yet my 32GB tends to slightly hang or "studder" quite often during normal app actions or typical iPad use. Even opening emails or forum posts it tends to jerk or jitter?

Is this normal or possibly a result of the 4.3 OS or "other"? Anything I should try or check to remedy?

Also, if I plug into iTunes and select the option to return my iPad to it's original state would that take it back to 4.2.1?

Thanks for all the great info here!

Smitty

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Try this first. Then if it does not go away call Apple Support. They will probably walk you through a full restore, and if that does not fix it probably replace the iPad.

When things start acting a bit weird, it's a good idea to completely shut the iPad off and restart. You should probably do this at least once a week (my unsupported opinion on frequency.)

Just hold down the power button for about three seconds. You'll get a power off slider. Go ahead and slide it off. Wait until the iPad completely shuts down and then restart it by holding down the power button for about three seconds again.

For more serious problems, when shutting it off doesn't work, you can do a soft reset. Hold down the power and home button until the Apple logo appears, about 10 to 15 seconds. Let go and wait for it to reboot. This will take a few minutes, so be patient.

Forgot to answer your last question. The iTunes Summary page option to restore you iPad will not downgrade the update. It will however remove all data and return the iPad to the "plug me into iTunes" state your received it in. This restore is different than the Restore from Backup.

Last edited:

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You heard the master. Anyway welcome to the iPad forums and hope you have already fixed the 32GB iPad and hope you enjoyed yours!!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free from

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/...User_Guide.pdf

Also the iPad2 manual is available at http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/ipad_2_user_guide.pdf

It’s free too.

Tim
Scotland

OP
K

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all for the suggestions.

I had and did try the full power down process numerous times with no change. It's quite strange yet definitely does not respond anything like our other iPad.

For example, even on an app as simple as "solitaire" when you start a game/deal a set of cards - you hit deal and you hear the sound of the cards being dealt then a second later the cards actually flow onto the screen. Or many times you go to tap on an item and you have to tap on it several times before it starts or once you tap it takes 2-4 seconds for the function to begin...

I did go ahead and notify Apple support. They instructed me to try a "return to original state" reset via iTunes and if that doesn't work to go the return/repair route.

****Anything I should jot down or do regarding my 3G account settings prior to the reset?

Thanks again!

Most reactions

Latest posts