What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 3 not sync or charge (only charge when turned off)

fox.josh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently came into possession of an iPad 3rd generation, 32GB with Verizon network. Upon gaining possession I was informed of two issues with the device. One was a busted screen and the other was that it would not sync to iTunes. The person stated that he had taken it to a store and they informed him it was the dock connector and he had it replaced. Once they replaced it the issue was still apparent and he asked for them to remove it and put original back. At this time the screen was busted. I purchased the iPad and ordered new screen and dock connector. The parts arrived today and while the screen is fixed I am still having issues with the docking of the iPad. First off I have restored the device several times, tried different cables and different plugins to include both my USB ports on my Mac and wall plugs. None of which are charging or syncing the iPad. I have completely disassembled the device down to the battery and still no change. What is interesting is the fact that I turn the device off and plug in the charging cord the device turns on. If I leave it plugged in while I shut it down it will charge. Only charging when the device is turned off. With this I assume the port is working. I have tried DFU and recovery to try force syncing to iTunes with no such luck. Any advice as to where to start or what to do?

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A possible situation could be that you are using any other charger except the original iPad charger to charge the device. Try using and iPad (not iPhone) charger.

Follow the steps here and see whether your Mac recognizes the iPad after that : http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1591

OP
F

fox.josh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am aware that there are different chargers for the iPad as opposed to iPhone. I have three iPads here with me and chargers for each. I tried all of them with no luck to include different cables. I have followed the steps to get my computer to recognize the iPad and have used different computers as well. All other iPads and iPhones show up on iTunes. This is an issue with the iPad not the cables or computer. Thanks for the reply though. I see this is a common issue which nobody has an answer for. My best assumption is a faulty logic board. If i can not figure it out iI'll strip it for parts. Thanks

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am aware that there are different chargers for the iPad as opposed to iPhone. I have three iPads here with me and chargers for each. I tried all of them with no luck to include different cables. I have followed the steps to get my computer to recognize the iPad and have used different computers as well. All other iPads and iPhones show up on iTunes. This is an issue with the iPad not the cables or computer. Thanks for the reply though. I see this is a common issue which nobody has an answer for. My best assumption is a faulty logic board. If i can not figure it out iI'll strip it for parts. Thanks

Before 'stripping it out for parts', I'd recommend to make an appointment with the Genius Bar at the nearest Apple store and have a full diagnostic run of the iPad, see what they say.

Make sure you backup your content using iCloud or use apps such a dropbox to transfer them to other devices.

Most reactions

Latest posts