What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

first disappointment with ipad

jim_joh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 64 gig wifi+3g ipad and until today it has been working great. I have a wireless router at home & always have 3 full bars and have been able to view utube videos anywhere including my garage. To day I went to our library which has a wifi hot spot and turn off the 3g. I sat next to a young lady and her laptop had 4 bars and good performance. Well my ipad had one bar and would not load the browser. Moving around I was able to have 2 bars at the most and it kept dropping to one bar. If this is always the case I guess I am glad I have the 3g. I did have it in the Apple case and wonder if that affected the signal? jim_joh

write-stuff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.richarddawkins.net
Pretty strange, Jim. I'm like you and would expect it to get the same signal strength as the other one. Did you try completely shutting yours down, then restarting it?

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have the 64 gig wifi+3g ipad and until today it has been working great. I have a wireless router at home & always have 3 full bars and have been able to view utube videos anywhere including my garage. To day I went to our library which has a wifi hot spot and turn off the 3g. I sat next to a young lady and her laptop had 4 bars and good performance. Well my ipad had one bar and would not load the browser. Moving around I was able to have 2 bars at the most and it kept dropping to one bar. If this is always the case I guess I am glad I have the 3g. I did have it in the Apple case and wonder if that affected the signal? jim_joh

You didn't happen to let it go to sleep for a bit, then try to access the hotspot again? I've read that wifi performance can degrade if you do that because the iPad doesn't establish a new IP address. The solution is to use Settings to turn of wifi and turn it back on.

Krew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
okay i know this is gonna sound weird but people are saying the low wifi problem has something to do with screen brightness. You might want to try it out and see if its true (and maybe report back what you find). Check this vid out:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwWtIG5jUxE]YouTube - Fix iPad Wifi Connection and Signal Issues[/ame]

OP
J

jim_joh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No I didn't shut it down & restart it. It was so erratic and seemed flacky. I think that is the right word. At home it seems so steady so I was reallr supprised. jim_joh

Krew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yah that is weird. Lots of people seem to be having wifi issues so hopefully Apple will come out with a fix soon.

OP
J

jim_joh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You know I did turn the screen brightness to the max but I did not turn auto off. I will go back Monday & try the different suggestions like shutting it down & restarting, etc. jim_joh

Krew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kewl if you find a combination that works please come back and tell us okay? :D

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As Apple has admitted a Wifi issue and that they are going to release a fix, you should wait and see, what the update brings.

I haven't had any major issues with wifi at all. Speed could be faster, but I'm fine with the performance so far.

OP
J

jim_joh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You know at home it works perfect for me also and this a first time I have taken to a different router, If this norm then travel will not be that great as you know motels & hotels each one is different. I am going to take my eee pc with me to the library on Monday and compare the two. jim_joh

raylock

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ipad has a strong signal when I take it into the bedroom at night, but if I try use the Internet during the night it won't re-acquire either of my routers. I will try turning Wi-fi off and on again to see if that solves the problem

rlee131

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Weak wifi signal

I have the same problem. First noticed it at home when I could not pick up my neighbors wifi signals. I easily pick them up on my notebook and cheap netbook. My router signal is strong. When I take it to other locations the signal is weak but at the same locations my netbook and others laptop have strong signals. I already exchanged one iPad because it was having connection problems. It also had the same signal strength problem. This new one does not have connection problems but gets weak signals unless I am within about 75 feet of the router. I did contact apple just to be sure I have a case number for this problem. They told me they are coming out with fix but it appears to me the fix is associated with the connection issues. I will wait and see but I am not to optomistic. Everything I have read about the signal strength problem, the "experts" feel it is a hardware problem.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had one time that after something I did, it wouldn't pick up my wifi. I rebooted and have not had a problem since. It is the little things like this that cause you to appreciate how much goes into a device like this.

Sincere11105

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same provlem here. I just thin its my router sucks. I have a trednet. About to get a linksys

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
They will really work well when iPhone OS 4.x comes out. Apple just tweaked the current iPhone OS to get it to work on the iPad.

You are going to have to live with this. Do you need any professional help until the fall?

Most reactions

Latest posts