What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 2 first buyer

are

iPF Noob
Reaction score
need advice, ipad 2 wifi or 3G?, if I have iphone 4,can I use this phone like a hot spot for ipad? any sugestions of provider -att or verizon? thanks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For sure you can use your iPhone4 - if you upgrade to iOS4.3 - as a hot spot for your iPad. However, non-3G iPads don't have GPS capability, because the GPS functionality is on the same chip-set in the iPad as the 3G because they share the same RF (radio frequency) circuitry.

If you have a 3G iPad, though, you don't need to use the 3G capability or buy a 3G data plan to use the GPS.

As far as I understand it (I'm from the UK so you'll get better advice from US Forum members) Verizon uses CDMA technology for 3G while AT&T use GSM. If you plan to take your iPad overseas to non-US territory, you need to be aware that most of the rest of the world uses GSM, so a CDMA iPad would not be useable overseas.

Whatever you decide, you won't regret getting an iPad.

Oh - and I nearly forgot! - welcome to the Forum.

Tim
Scotland

Smooth65

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes provided you have an unlimited data plan with ATT, your phone could be used to create a hot spot to connect your iPad to!

OP
A

are

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you. Still not sure if should I go with 3g or wifi? what is yours expiriance. Mostly planning use in my home and for my needs not for buissness. On vacation there is allways free wireless internet.. But,maybe for this price is better to put extra $130 and get 3G even if is just in case or should't bother.What do you think.Thanks Tim and Smooth65
Alex.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you'd be OK with the WiFi model if you plan to use it mainly around the house. $130 is quite a lot extra to pay for 3G access. But, then, once you've bought the WiFi only model you can't upgrade if you suddenly find you need Internet access and there's no WiFi nearby.

It's a difficult decision - I'm the sort of guy who's always prevaricating, so probably not the best person to ask.....

But, whatever decision you make, you'll come to love your iPad.

Tim
Scotland

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keep forgetting that you have your iPhone4 - so you can use this as a hotspot....makes the decision a bit easier. All you'll miss with the WiFi model is GPS.

Tim
Scotland

OP
A

are

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim.
Any ideas how much data plan is used in monthly period. I know that is depends.. but average just for surfing and gps. There is now many data plans and just trying to have an idea for this.
Alex.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You probably can’t use too much because Apple limit the size of a 3G download to 20MB per download - more than that you’ve forced to use WiFi. Several Forum members have the AT&T 250 MB monthly plan and I’ve not noticed too many of them complaining. In the UK several service providers (like mine) offer ‘all you can eat’ plans for about $30/month. I use my iPad for email, web and listening to Internet radio (TuneIn app that does not seem to be limited by the Apple-imposed 20MB limit, somehow!). I guess I use 2-3 GB/month max - but that's because I listen to the Internet radio app for about 3 hours a day on the commute! If I didn’t have that plan I guess I’d be less than 1GB. You can always upgrade your plan if you find you keep running out. Forum members, though, have reported it’s difficult to get unlimited plans in the US at the moment.

Also you might want to check out service provider coverage maps to make sure the locations where you plan to use your iPad actually have coverage! Also there are several web sites (and posts on this Forum) where there are reports of achieved download speeds on the various 3G networks.

Having 3G can be great - I’m typing this post on the bus home listening to MAX FM (Bakersfield, CA) on Internet radio (one of my kids works near there) on a remote road in the Scottish Glens (in the UK we have, more or less, blanket coverage - it was a condition of awarding the original GSM licences a couple of decades ago and the network providers have stuck with it since the cell tower infrastructure was in place).

I’m sure you’ll enjoy your iPad whatever you decide. Let us know of your experiences and thoughts.

Have a great day.

Tim
Scotland

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My experience.
I've been using a mifi with our iPads since it was originally bought for my vaio laptop.
While it works ok, I find it frustrating to use as the iPad is always ready to go long before the mifi makes it's connections. Plus the user interface is counter intuitive. Designed by engineers with tiny fingers :(

This time I pre-ordered the 3g version as it's one less charger and item to pack. Guess I'm just hasty...

You probably won't need the connection more than a few times a year, but when you need it it's there.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I saw the Verizon vs. AT&T data plans on TUAW I think this morning. verizon had 2GB for 14.95 I believe which they said was 4x that of AT&T offering (Verizon better). We have 2 wifis. Bought. palm Pre Plus last May with free mobile hot spot (which is why we bought it--2 yr contract) so use it when needed which is really very rarely to be truthful since we have so much free wifi availble around here. Not everywhere may have that. The Palm can connect up to 5 devices though speed will drop as I understand it with each device added. We have often had 2 hooked (my Touch usually because I forget to chosoe not to look for network) and one of our Ipads. We have a GPS already so that wasn't important but even there I don't use it much and actually prefer to use maps and plan a route since I find GPS often chooses routes I don't like LOL. I find I mostly use the hot spot when we are in an area looking for restaurant or need local directions, something similar. I still am not sure what I'll do when I buy next tablet (probably gen 3) since this has worked so well. I think it will depend upon data plans available, price of tablets and whether we prefer a hit spot on a phone.

Here's the link to the chart with Verizon and AT&T data pricing
http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/07/verizon-crushes-atandt-on-ipad-entry-level-data-rates/

Last edited:
OP
A

are

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Re;

Thanks all of you for helpful information. Few more days and decision will be made. It's good feeling to know that people like you are allways willing to help.Thanks again.
Alex.

Most reactions

Latest posts