What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Find Our iPads?

wvkawboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, I am a new iPad3 owner & my wife just got an iPad2. We share the same Apple ID for sharing of Apps but have our separate e-mail account set up on each other's iPad.

Is there a way to use Find My iPad on say my iPad3 to find her iPad2 location & her to use Find My iPad on her iPad2 to find my iPad3 location? Or will it just find the original (my iPad3) that was originally setup on the Apple ID? She was asking me & I have no idea. Can this be done even though we share the "same" Apple ID?

Thanks! :thumbs:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes. I have six devices on the same Apple ID and can find them all, as long as they've got a wifi or 3G connection at the time. I have two other iDevices that lack any wifi or 3G, and of course they're not findable.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It will find the separate iPads just fine (assuming they are powered on and able to connect to the outside world), even if they share the same ID.

SomeRandomBloke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In General Settings > iCloud and switch on Find My iPad. Each device has its own ID even on the same account.

OP
W

wvkawboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, Folks! I'll check the settings on both iPads this evening.

Will the "Find My iPhone" App work or just use Find My iPad on each one?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You might want to check out the Find my Friends app as well. Its features are better geared for what you seem to want.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check out new functionality for Find My iPhone / iPad under iOS 6 (to debut in fall):

From Apple website:

It happens. You misplace your iPhone or your iPad or your iPod touch. Luckily, iOS 6 and iCloud now offer Lost mode, making it even easier to use Find My iPhone to locate and protect a missing device.8 Immediately lock your missing iPhone with a four-digit passcode and send it a message displaying a contact number. That way a good Samaritan can call you from your Lock screen without accessing the rest of the information on your iPhone. And while in Lost mode, your device will keep track of where it’s been and report back to you any time you check in with the Find My iPhone app.

Most reactions