What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Filemanager / pdf / office docs

Hal05154

iPF Noob
Reaction score
these apps do exist and are in the market. my question was which one people preferred in my situation. if you don't require the use of one then feel free to pass this thread. none of the responses to my question were helpful or appropriate.

if you don't have constructive criticism or anything to contribute go help another thread. just because I'm new to this forum doesn't imply I'm a tech neophyte.

naman,

My response to your original note was an attempt to explain what you MAY have been thinking, based on my OWN experiences. If you go back and read what I wrote, you would see that. I was not dissing your tech expertese, or anything else. When I read your note I though of my own desires for a file manager which I have not found myself. I felt ANOTHER writer was dissing you, and wanted to try to help. Sorry you felt otherwise.

Hal

DDustiNN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't understand what all this animosity is for. It was a simple question.

I would like a file manager as well. I'd like to be able to see everything that is on my iPad all in one organized spot - documents, videos, pictures, apps, etc. That way if I'm running low on space, I can browse through and see how much space is being taken up by each item and decide what to remove. That's much easier than looking through a bunch of different apps, which still don't even show the file size.

The biggest problem I have is that I have no way of seeing how large my apps are (at least not that I've found yet). You can see the file size in the App Store, but once they're on your iPad, all you see is the icon. I'd like to be able to see how large my apps are so I can determine which ones can be deleted if I am low on storage and don't use the apps much.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you've got a mac take a look at PhoneView which works with iPhones, iPods and iPads.
There's a seven day free trial.

Mike245

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an app for the iPad that can organize files on a iPad and handle the editing of the office type app's specifically excel spreadsheets?

Well, I'm probably the least experienced one on this thread, but I have had really good experience with iDisk, which I haven't seen mentioned. Maybe that's because they don't like it or something, I don't know.

After going through what I think you are right now and figuring out that I had no choice but to begin learning about "cloud computing", I looked into iDisk after setting up on MobileMe for $99 a year and found that it looked like it could serve as an effective bridge between my Ipad, Desktop PC and my wife's Ipad. I set it up and now do all my Excel spreadsheet and Word document work on the Ipad (using the Apple BT keyboard of course) and do a very quick (10 second) transfer to my iDisk file manager folders. It's now kind-of 2nd nature and I don't even think about it anymore. Any PDF files are easily read and stored using GoodReader as discussed. I also store some of my PDFs in iBooks.

For what ever it's worth. what I've found is a lot of expertise and opinions on this forum regarding these kinds of needs but, in my opinion, you should at least look into Apple's native solutions in addition to all the "favorites" out there. I'm basically a Windows PC guy Apple wannabe, so I'm no expert, but I have not had to stray very far from the Apple tree to find my solutions. The iDisk solution has been very elegant for me......BUT, I have not tried DropBox (I probably will sometime).

I hope this helps you a little.

Mike245

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update for the one who originally asked the question about file management. I did try DropBox and, at this point, still prefer iDisk.

I am essentially using my Ipad as an input device for files I keep on my PC (Excel budget spreadsheet, Word docs) and documents sent via e-mail or printed directly via wifi to my HP C410a e-printer. To that end, Numbers and Pages both allow direct saving processes to iDisk from their menus (a biggie to me). Additionally, those programs automatically allow saving in a PC format (Word, Excel). When I get on my PC, I just access those file directly from the network drive via Explorer or right out of the application itself just as if it were stored on my PC (a copy is of course). It is a given that you must read and understand how to use it and you need to set it up properly, like any other app and process.

When I tried DropBox I found it didn't operate that way and was not created to serve users who create content on their mobile divices. If I'm wrong about that, I'm sure the more informed or experienced users will let anyone interested know pretty quick from what I've seen.

All I'm trying to do here is give the person who asked the question that started this tread my best answer based on my direct experience and hope it helps in some way. I will admit that I'm beginning to see Apple's logic...if you don't have a file system that allows the kind of flexibility we are disscussing, you are very unlikely to get bad stuff on your device (except possibly through corrupted apps).

In closing, some of you are pretty darn patient and I appreciate your knowledge and efforts to help us noobs, and some of you need to take some sensitivity training.

srich123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My 2 cents

I use my Ipad mostly for business and need fast access to a variety of document formats (mostly pdf, doc and xls). I use a two pronged approach that works very well for me. I use Goodreader to store/view all of my files since it has the best file management system of any program I have found and has the ability to download/upload to dropbox. When I need to edit documents, I use Docs To Go and then send the file back to Goodreader for storage as Docs To Go has pretty no ability to create folders and such.

Mike245

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my Ipad mostly for business and need fast access to a variety of document formats (mostly pdf, doc and xls). I use a two pronged approach that works very well for me. I use Goodreader to store/view all of my files since it has the best file management system of any program I have found and has the ability to download/upload to dropbox. When I need to edit documents, I use Docs To Go and then send the file back to Goodreader for storage as Docs To Go has pretty no ability to create folders and such.

Having read about your approach before, I was almost convinced to finally give your method a try. I'm always looking for a little more function, efficiency, etc. When I looked at the app I saw $10 and 15 years of experience from the company and thought, well maybe. Then I really read most of the reviews and determined it definitely doesn't do what I need the most as efficiently as what I do now with iDisk, namely create and maintain Excel spreadsheets. My main observation is that a company as experienced as this one should not be suffering the kinds of issues I am reading about (crashing, locking, no AirPrint, etc.). While also expensive (relatively), Numbers and Pages work very well as main production applications and, what's just as important, they work with iDisk as if it were an "Explorer" style folder system on the IPad.

Having said all that and sounding like a walking advertisement for Apple which I really don't intend, I will personally keep my eyes on Docs to go (I did get DropBox) and see if it works its current wrinkles out, in which case, it would be a great alternative. At any rate, the questions has been pretty fully answered by many knowledgable users on this thread and I'm sure Codewarrior got the answer he/she was looking for.

Flook

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, I am new here so please forgive me if I am out of order in any way at all.

Though I do not have as yet an ipad, I have an Apple imac computer, I use Bento for all my files, I have found this to be most useful and very cost efficient, I understand for the ipad the cost is £2.99 in UK money. I use Bento for all my customer info, also I drag emails across to Bento, I use it for excel, also for making notes and appointments etc. Also you can set it to your very own specifics with names addresses, dates what and when and elsewhere.

I hope this helps, and it may make more to discuss here, there again it may not.....

Flook

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
All I want from a spreadsheet is pane-freezing, simple sorting and import/export from/to Excel.

Documents To Go: No.
QuickOffice: No.
Office2: No.
Pages: No.

Office2 is the only one I've bought. My claims about the others are based on reviews and hearsay. I'm happy to be corrected by anyone who has had personal experience with these apps.

shanshuprophecy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
no-one seems to have mentioned Readdle docs (unless I didn't see it) - great file management, doc creation/edit, dropbox support, file/folder creation 'open in' support etc ... Also has a built-n browser so you can bookmark or save web content

In answer to those who are querying then need, I require a file manager to keep a variety of types of files together relationally - I am a teacher & I may require a PDF, a worksheet I made in pages and some web content for a lesson/lecture - being able to access all of these in one location rather than 'app hopping' means that I can have my copies of handouts showing with VGA (using 2screens - built in file manager that I use as a temp file manager & then delete after class) - not only is this handy, it means that when i teach a course next year i can use documents that I used this year and only update or add if required - if that all makes sense?

I would consider using GoodReader as I like the PDF annotation capabilities & it looks like GR beats RD hands down there. I am also not a huge fan of the UI - it's clean but not pretty but this seems to be across the board with file management

I have just downloaded memo connect which allows reading of google docs & am considering this as another alternative - the UI is really nice - if Readdle or GoodReader could offer something like this it would be great!

Sorry for the long post folks but this is a topic I am really interested in & look forward to your responses :)

Last edited:

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am pretty much settled on FileBrowser which allows me to access and view files on my NAS, for example 80 GB worth of photos.

slayda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My desire for a file manager is to 'know' or at least be able to find out where some app puts my files or where I need to put them for said app to see them. Otherwise the 'cloud' seems more like a 'fog' to me. And yeah, I'm new to Apple but not to computing.

In addition, like another poster, I would like to delete specific files and/or keep certain groupings (that "I" determine) together.

BTW I am familiar with Android (got a Droid phone & a rooted {that's jaibroken to y'all} NookColor ereader that is also a pretty good Android tablet). However I really like much of my iPad's capabilities. I'm one of those people who're never quite satisified. No matter how perfect a product is, I want more. :D

Most reactions

Latest posts