What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feeling a bit strange when in public

mdholm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just about the only place I take my iPad is Starbucks when I'm having my monthly coffee get-together with a friend. Any time I go to a Starbucks, it seems that place is crawling with gadgets. Sometimes I look around and mentally calculate the value of the inventory at that particular time.

Its funny, really. We always go to the same location, and see a lot of the same people. There is the main that puts his iPad in his lap, but reads a newspaper. There is the man who always wants to take to anyone with an iDevice about jailbreaking (he's a huge fan). There is the woman who alternates between an iPad, iPhone, and Macbook Air (I think thats what it is). And there are always a number of customers with assorted laptops, ereaders, and smart phones. My friend and I both have iPads and iPhones; last week we were both looking up something at a web site and showing each other pictures. I also have a work-issued BlackBerry Bold; on which I was receiving calls, emails, and text messages.

I've never taken my iPad anywhere else; I haven't had a need to. But I feel safe with it at the gadget sanctuary!

milkmilklemonade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haha, I know the feeling..

I'm 26, and a returning student. My wife and I are both nurses and make pretty good money (we also both work a lot..)..there's nothing weirder than being in class with "starving and struggling" students who are talking about their part time job at Target etc, while I'm there taking notes with my iPad.

I kind of do feel ashamed and like I'm "bragging" by using it around other students. It's a GREAT study aid, but I feel I can't go into detail with it unless I want to come off as rubbing it in their face, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We had two thugs grab an 8 year old's laptop at a local Mc Donalds, they ran out but cops knew who they were and went to their Apt. found the laptop and kid got it back. So I say you never know when a thug will grab it and run off with your stuff. Happens to high dollar cameras all the time.

Plan B

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
...According to that article, the iPad is the elitist product, not the phone...

I don't let anybody from the press tell me what is elitist and what is not. The press is elitist!

Plan B

iPF Noob
Reaction score
milkmilklemonade said:
Haha, I know the feeling..

I'm 26, and a returning student. My wife and I are both nurses and make pretty good money (we also both work a lot..)..there's nothing weirder than being in class with "starving and struggling" students who are talking about their part time job at Target etc, while I'm there taking notes with my iPad.

I kind of do feel ashamed and like I'm "bragging" by using it around other students. It's a GREAT study aid, but I feel I can't go into detail with it unless I want to come off as rubbing it in their face, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's only a matter of time before misplaced guilt will begin to hold you back in life.

You worked hard, and you're making good life decisions. Go with that.

pyewacket

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipadder474 said:
My Mac Pro and iPad never leave my home. I am always armed, but also am careful not to use my iPhone where strangers can see it. We have the stand your ground law in my state, and if someone really tries to rob me there is going to be deadly force used.

This post, to someone who lives in the UK is very difficult to comprehend..with our gun laws...

How can, say 600 dollars , equal the price of someone's life ???

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't feel strange at all. My ipad and 4s are tools to be used just like a pad and paper. My shopping list is on them, pictures to share with friends, and ability to look something up when I need it. Unless we are 1 percenters we all have to save for and make choices of the things we buy. So I use them wherever I am.

Much as I love my iPad and phone, I would never equate things with a human life even if someone were taking them from me. Even a thiefs life is too precious to equate to an iPad.

Bobbi

hpulmer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.saveourseafarers.com
Bennettb said:
I don't feel strange at all. My ipad and 4s are tools to be used just like a pad and paper. My shopping list is on them, pictures to share with friends, and ability to look something up when I need it. Unless we are 1 percenters we all have to save for and make choices of the things we buy. So I use them wherever I am.

Much as I love my iPad and phone, I would never equate things with a human life even if someone were taking them from me. Even a thiefs life is too precious to equate to an iPad.

Bobbi

Cannot agree more with this post!
However, a potential thief would have a hard couple of minutes trying to escape with my iPad!! ;)

☠ stay safe ☠ stay legal ☠

GnomeGrrl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pyewacket said:
This post, to someone who lives in the UK is very difficult to comprehend..with our gun laws...

How can, say 600 dollars , equal the price of someone's life ???

It doesn't. And I wouldn't have understood until I moved to the US either. But the reality is that whoever's trying to steal your iPad or your iPhone is probably also armed and there's no guarantee that handing over your goods is going to stop them from harming you. People get killed for a lot less.

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Bennettb said:

Bobbi

+1.

One can always replace a device. A misguided kid can be helped, assuming he/she continues to live. No one wants to be robbed, but I'd let my stuff go if that would resolve the situation. There are times, though, when giving over a device may not resolve a situation.

I'm lucky....I live in a smallish southern town.....not a lot of people have iPads, a fair number have iPhones, but people generally don't mess with others. I have lived in bigger cities where such was definitely not the case, though.

Plan B

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If one is ever in fear for one's life, then one should be willing to use deadly force, whether or not a weapon is at hand.

The criminals living amongst us are COUNTING on us rolling over to play dead, and that is why they get away with so much evil.

We will not fight, and we will not punish them in the courts. Our individual weakness sums up to societal weakness and this makes our era a great time to be a criminal.

mikeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my iPad on trains and coaches, not on busses or out in the street.
I once saw someone using thier iPad to cross off items for their shopping in a supermarket. Even as another iPad owner I couldn't help but think 'what a prat'.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If one is ever in fear for one's life, then one should be willing to use deadly force, whether or not a weapon is at hand.

The criminals living amongst us are COUNTING on us rolling over to play dead, and that is why they get away with so much evil.

We will not fight, and we will not punish them in the courts. Our individual weakness sums up to societal weakness and this makes our era a great time to be a criminal.

I wouldn't hesitate to do violence to anyone (with my gun or otherwise) who threatened my safety or that of my loved ones, but I'm not eager to shoot or kill anyone over a device that I can easily replace. It's a matter what's appropriate to an individual situation, and has nothing to do with sending a message to criminals in general.

iluvmyipad

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPhoNettie said:
Hayles, I'm just like you. I have the iPad 3 and I've enjoyed every version of the iPad-and I've gotten each one on launch day. I'm not ashamed. I don't drink, don't go out (except for the rare date with the hubby---RARE!), I'm not a clothes horse, or a shoe ho, however I do like my Coach bags, but I digress. My iPad is my one true splurge that I save up for every year. Yeah, I said it, every year. I'm a gadget geek and I like my gadgets. I take my iPad with me everywhere I go, but I don't always take it out. I just like having it with me. POWER TO THE IPAD PEOPLE! (with my fist thrust in the air). Lol. Ok, now I'm just being silly.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

I like my gadgets too. I save up for my gadgets too. I do love nice handbags, clothes and shoes, but I get those on sale. The iPad is my luxury item, doesn't go on sale!! Enjoy your gadgets. I carry my iPad wherever I go. I absolutely love it. When I got the original iPad, I was a little cautious about pulling it out, because at the time they were pretty hard to get in my area, best buy was always sold out, no apple store. Now, I use it out all the time. They are everywhere!!

Most reactions

Latest posts