What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fahrenheit app

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This app has, or had, a home screen icon badge which automatically updated to the local temperature even with the app closed (there was a separate Celsius version as well) but recently this stopped working.

The in app solution was to do a back-up and restore which I have done, but Fahrenheit didn't restore and I cannot find it in the App Store.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this app and what has happened to it? Has it been withdrawn, had it's name changed or otherwise managed to hide itself despite all my Sherlockian endeavours?

And if it is discontinued, is there an equivalent which shows the current (Fahrenheit, I'm an old fogey who doesn't understand Celsius!) temperature at my location on the Home Screen?

And, at a slight tangent, I presume that this app has been backed up as part of my normal routines so can I restore it as a single app from an iTunes or iCloud back up or is it "all or nothing"?

Thanks in advance.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This app has, or had, a home screen icon badge which automatically updated to the local temperature even with the app closed (there was a separate Celsius version as well) but recently this stopped working.

The in app solution was to do a back-up and restore which I have done, but Fahrenheit didn't restore and I cannot find it in the App Store..................

Hello - first, are you referring to the app below (first pic circled in my dock, second image, app opened to my city); second, I went to the App Store and agree that ºFahrenheit, at least under that name is no longer listed - next, I checked in Settings -> General -> About -> Applications to see if the app was 32-bits - not listed there (3rd pic); as you know, the next iOS version will not run 32-bit apps.

Finally, I went to the developer's website Impala Studios (last pic below) and could not find the app - did not really search closely to see if a replacement (or name change) is present, but you can send them a contact email to clarify its status - please post back - I use the app on every trip we take by adding the area visiting. Dave :)
IMG_8847.PNG
IMG_8848.PNG
IMG_8849.PNG
Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 10.34.58 AM.png

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's the one, Dave.

I followed the in-app Step 2 advice (see below) as my Badge wasn't updating automatically and all my settings were correct. I don't understand why the app didn't restore from the iCloud backup which I made only a few minutes before I did the erase and restore.

I have emailed Impala but, alas, haven't [yet?] received any response.

Attachments

• IMG_5322.PNG
    IMG_5322.PNG
    214.3 KB · Views: 393

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's the one, Dave.

I followed the in-app Step 2 advice (see below) as my Badge wasn't updating automatically and all my settings were correct. I don't understand why the app didn't restore from the iCloud backup which I made only a few minutes before I did the erase and restore.

I have emailed Impala but, alas, haven't [yet?] received any response.

Sorry for your problems w/ the app - mine is still working at the moment - plan to buy a new iPad this fall after iOS 11.x is released - will be curious if the app is still active? I also sent the developer an email the other day - no response to date. Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Looks like the app Weather Live by Apalon has the badge feature.

I used to think the badge temp trick was a pretty cool feature for a weather app, and considered getting it. I haven't thought about it in a long time, and was wondering why. Then I glanced at my watch. Ohhhh... :rolleyes: thats why.

OP
iBozz

iBozz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Impala have just relied to my email ...

Unfortunately we had to remove our app from the App Store, as Apple didn’t want us to use the badge icon for displaying the current temperature. We couldn’t do anything about this and were forced to have the app removed. We want to have the app back in the store in some form, but have to look into a way to make the app valuable without this functionality. Our apologies for the inconvenience.

That's a real shame as I found it an excellent quick guide. Apple can be a right royal pain in the fundament sometimes!

Thanks, twerpoet, I'll check that one out.

Most reactions

Latest posts