What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory restore on Jailbroken iPad Mini iOS 6.1

haza12d

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello all! I have just been given an iPad Mini a couple of days ago. This is my first Apple device ever. My friend says it's "Jailbroken" and has a few custom applications. He has his music on there and a ton of pictures.
I wanted to remove everything from the device through a factory reset, but my friend keeps telling me that I can't because of the Jailbreak and I would mess it up so I would have to keep it the way it is.
Is this true? Or is there a program out there that can UnJailbreak (is that what you would call it?) and factory reset my device?
Like I said earlier, this is my first Apple product and have no previous experience or knowledge about all this stuff. Any help, like a step-by-step tutorial (Is that asking too much for a first post? Lol), would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all! I have just been given an iPad Mini a couple of days ago. This is my first Apple device ever. My friend says it's "Jailbroken" and has a few custom applications. He has his music on there and a ton of pictures.
I wanted to remove everything from the device through a factory reset, but my friend keeps telling me that I can't because of the Jailbreak and I would mess it up so I would have to keep it the way it is.
Is this true? Or is there a program out there that can UnJailbreak (is that what you would call it?) and factory reset my device?
Like I said earlier, this is my first Apple product and have no previous experience or knowledge about all this stuff. Any help, like a step-by-step tutorial (Is that asking too much for a first post? Lol), would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Well, your friend is ... In error. :)

You can always restore an iPad (to include the Mini) to the stock firmware. What you CAN'T do is use the Reset category in the Mini's Settings app. That will mess up the iPad - but still not beyond repair, however. You can restore the most current iOS on the Mini (iOS 6.1 at this writing). Then, if you wish, you can re-jail break it.

You really should restore the iPad, anyway, because everything that is on there belongs to your friend. Restoring the Mini will make it truly yours and enable you to put your own "stuff" on it.

All that said, it's a simple matter to restore it. Connect the iPad to your computer (make sure you have the most current iTunes loaded and installed). On the main summary page, you will see a "Restore" button. Press that and let iTunes do its magic. You will need to pick "restore as new" (as it is new to you). After a few settings changes, you will then have an iPad Mini that is as if it came straight out of the box.

Then, if you wish to jail break it for your self, have a look at this tutorial on using the most recent jail break tool, evasi0n: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=102722

Hopefully, this is enough to get you going. If not, holler back and we'll add more. Regardless, good luck, let us know how you get on and congrats on your new Mini. IMHO - you're gonna love it! :)

Marilyn

OP
H

haza12d

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the prompt response! I'll give it a go and let you know how things are! :)

Update: Thanks so much for your help! I did exactly what you said and now my iPad Mini has been restored and wiped clean! Now, time to have some fun!

Last edited:

wrathchild

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So your friend just gave you a ipad mini? Just like that? Didn't bother taking his personnel private data off it? Just went "here you go my friend, have my brand new mini that I just bought because it just came out but I don't want it anymore." "Oh and by the way, it's jailbroken, but don't bother asking me how to un-jailbreak it because I don't know how jailbreaking works so you'll have to figure it out yourself." Yeah whatever.

Ctorres421

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, your friend is ... In error. :)

You can always restore an iPad (to include the Mini) to the stock firmware. What you CAN'T do is use the Reset category in the Mini's Settings app. That will mess up the iPad - but still not beyond repair, however. You can restore the most current iOS on the Mini (iOS 6.1 at this writing). Then, if you wish, you can re-jail break it.

You really should restore the iPad, anyway, because everything that is on there belongs to your friend. Restoring the Mini will make it truly yours and enable you to put your own "stuff" on it.

All that said, it's a simple matter to restore it. Connect the iPad to your computer (make sure you have the most current iTunes loaded and installed). On the main summary page, you will see a "Restore" button. Press that and let iTunes do its magic. You will need to pick "restore as new" (as it is new to you). After a few settings changes, you will then have an iPad Mini that is as if it came straight out of the box.

Then, if you wish to jail break it for your self, have a look at this tutorial on using the most recent jail break tool, evasi0n: TUTORIAL - Jailbreak the iPad with IOS 6.0 to 6.1 using evasi0n

Hopefully, this is enough to get you going. If not, holler back and we'll add more. Regardless, good luck, let us know how you get on and congrats on your new Mini. IMHO - you're gonna love it! :)

Marilyn

I jail broke my mini and made the mistake of restoring it from the device itself. Is there anyone i can fix this issue??

moscratchscott

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello guys!..im new here..
I also have a problem on restoring my ipad mini..its on ios 6.1 and jailbroken..its been a months now that im trying to search the internet for solution,but failed..i really want to update to the latest ios 7..if anyone or someone could help me out..it would be much appreciated..thank u!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello guys!..im new here..
I also have a problem on restoring my ipad mini..its on ios 6.1 and jailbroken..its been a months now that im trying to search the internet for solution,but failed..i really want to update to the latest ios 7..if anyone or someone could help me out..it would be much appreciated..thank u!
If you can't restore it using iTunes (computer), the link in scifan57's post should help.

Most reactions

Latest posts