What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory Reset

Navrig

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have "inherited" my daughter's Ipad mini. I am not really familiar with Apple and/or IOS having been on Android since my first phone in 2011.

I need to factory reset the Ipad to make it available for my wife. However my daughter is not at home and is reluctant to share her passkey or password for the device. This is understandable as far as I am cncerned.

I don;'t have a PC - e all run on Chromebooks and Android other than this one Ipad. The Ipad batter was drained so it is locked.

A web search shows that all the apparent factory reset methods require the ipad to be unlocked or for me to have the passkey or the registered users Apple password or fora PC to be used.

Is it possible to simply reset using the home/power/volume keys and without any pass keys/words?

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have "inherited" my daughter's Ipad mini. I am not really familiar with Apple and/or IOS having been on Android since my first phone in 2011.

I need to factory reset the Ipad to make it available for my wife. However my daughter is not at home and is reluctant to share her passkey or password for the device. This is understandable as far as I am cncerned.

I don;'t have a PC - e all run on Chromebooks and Android other than this one Ipad. The Ipad batter was drained so it is locked.

A web search shows that all the apparent factory reset methods require the ipad to be unlocked or for me to have the passkey or the registered users Apple password or fora PC to be used.

Is it possible to simply reset using the home/power/volume keys and without any pass keys/words?
No, you can’t reset the iPad just by using keys. You or your daughter needs to enter the Apple ID and password used to set up the device. Alternatively, she could erase the device remotely.

OP
N

Navrig

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, that's a surprise. She is not at home anymore so can't physically enter a code. Does she have to activated any particular settings to allow remote reset?

I'm glad I use Android!

OP
N

Navrig

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LIke any youngster she won't want her parents to have access to her online life.

That said she has shared it with me and I can now open the device. Just have to let it charge a bit more before resetting.

Thanks for the help.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
She can remove the iPad from her iCloud ID and from Find my iPad online. Here‘s what has to be done:
(See “Turn off Activation Lock on a device”.)

That way, she doesn‘t have to share her information with you. The iPad will be erased, and you can set up the iPad as new, with your own details, and without iCloud Activation Lock.

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
LIke any youngster she won't want her parents to have access to her online life.

That said she has shared it with me and I can now open the device. Just have to let it charge a bit more before resetting.

Thanks for the help.
Glad to help.

Most reactions

Latest posts