What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

External Hard drive

pearliegirl5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey iPad people!
New here! I've succumbed to the Apple addiction. Now that I'm here, I would like to know if there is an external hard drive that will not only store my files, videos and pics, but that will allow me to manipulate those items directly from my iPad? I see some suggesting to use your PC for certain things, but I'm not yet comfortable with that option. Just wondering if there is an external hard drive that will do more than just store my content. I hope my question is clear. Thanks!

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hey iPad people!
New here! I've succumbed to the Apple addiction. Now that I'm here, I would like to know if there is an external hard drive that will not only store my files, videos and pics, but that will allow me to manipulate those items directly from my iPad? I see some suggesting to use your PC for certain things, but I'm not yet comfortable with that option. Just wondering if there is an external hard drive that will do more than just store my content. I hope my question is clear. Thanks!

It may not be a complete answer but network storage + apps such as FileBrowser will help to get what you want.

Basically, forget direct connection to a USB drive and think WiFi, unless you are happy to jail break.

AirStash is also an option.

OP
P

pearliegirl5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RAC said:
It may not be a complete answer but network storage + apps such as FileBrowser will help to get what you want.

Basically, forget direct connection to a USB drive and think WiFi, unless you are happy to jail break.

AirStash is also an option.

Thanks! Now, be patient with me, but I'm not up on File Browser and will that give me say 500MG? Basically I'm using my iPad like a laptop so the ability to edit or manipulate my content & have ample space without too much hassle is what I'm looking for. I also see dropbox mentioned quite a bit. If I am using my PC remotely does that mean I leave it turned on all day? I'm asking because I simply don't know. Thanks!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pearliegirl5 said:
Thanks! Now, be patient with me, but I'm not up on File Browser and will that give me say 500MG? Basically I'm using my iPad like a laptop so the ability to edit or manipulate my content & have ample space without too much hassle is what I'm looking for. I also see dropbox mentioned quite a bit. If I am using my PC remotely does that mean I leave it turned on all day? I'm asking because I simply don't know. Thanks!

Do you mean 500GB?

The Archangel

Rockbottom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use FileBrowser and a network attached drive (NAS) with great success. Gives me 1.5TG.

Sent from my iPad2 3G 32 gig / using iPF

Rockbottom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would like to add that you can "copy" from GoodReader to the drive via FileBrowser.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

FileBrowser is just software to access content on external file systems. For additional storage you need a networked storage device such as Network Attached Storage (NAS) or file server.

For example I have a 1 TB (1,000 GB) Weston Digital NAS on which I have 80 GB of photos which are readily accessible via FileBrowser, on my 16GB iPad.

As mentioned by others, there other other applications such as GoodReader and QuickOffice that are useful as well.

DropBox and iCloud also provide cloud storage. These are a good solution for remote access. You can also make a NAS available remotely as an FTP server if you want to.

For reasons I don't understand, iOS doesn't directly support access to a general file system. It seems to have a private file space for each application with some cross sharing where developers think to provide it. To attach a USB, the iPad needs to be jail broken.

The kindest excuse that I can come up with (for the lack of file system access) is that the iPad is supposed to be a cloud device, but I suspect that it has more to do with the fact that iOS has evolved from the iPod, iPod Touch, iPhone to finally the iPad.

Various apps, such as the above, provide a partial work around.

Oh, and you will get some replies that say "it's not supposed to be a computer, stupid". I ignore such comments, you free to do so too.

Last edited:
OP
P

pearliegirl5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My apologies, I meant 500GB. I thank you for your response an all the suggestions. Gee! I hope no one would say such a terrible thing. I think with all the apps the iPad can pretty much be whatever you need it to be with in reason. I have friends that are reluctant to join this forum due to such possible responses from tech folks. If we don't know, we don't know but we are willing to learn. I too have a 16GB iPad and am running out of space quickly so I am graciously thankful for your response. Now I will try to find the items you mentioned. Again, the responses are much appreciated!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
For reasons I don't understand, iOS doesn't directly support access to a general file system. It seems to have a private file space for each application with some cross sharing where developers think to provide it. To attach a USB, the iPad needs to be jail broken.

The kindest excuse that I can come up with (for the lack of file system access) is that the iPad is supposed to be a cloud device, but I suspect that it has more to do with the fact that iOS has evolved from the iPod, iPod Touch, iPhone to finally the iPad.

Another reason (or excuse if you prefer) is that the sand boxing of each app allows for tighter security. Apps can not steal information from other apps, nor corrupt them. At least not easily.

Rockbottom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
pearliegirl5 said:
My apologies, I meant 500GB. I thank you for your response an all the suggestions. Gee! I hope no one would say such a terrible thing. I think with all the apps the iPad can pretty much be whatever you need it to be with in reason. I have friends that are reluctant to join this forum due to such possible responses from tech folks. If we don't know, we don't know but we are willing to learn. I too have a 16GB iPad and am running out of space quickly so I am graciously thankful for your response. Now I will try to find the items you mentioned. Again, the responses are much appreciated!

Let us know how you solved your issue!

OP
P

pearliegirl5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! As soon as I figure out what's best I will post it. Glad I understand about the way the system is set up.

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another reason (or excuse if you prefer) is that the sand boxing of each app allows for tighter security. Apps can not steal information from other apps, nor corrupt them. At least not easily.

I accept what you are saying but I think that many of us don't want to pay such a prices for additional security. To me, it's like avoiding damage to you car by not taking it out on the road:).

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I haven't tested it yet but WD 2go + WD My Book Live might be a good, if proprietary, option.

For the iPad (sans an open file system) a proprietary hardware/software solution such as this might be our best hope.

I think that a tablet computer linked via WiFi to a personal NAS (with low power consumption) and the Web is the future of personal computing. Will it be provided by iPad, Android or something we haven't heard of yet, who knows?

Last edited:

Most reactions