What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Everything the ipad isn't...

Craig

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
Cnet gave the Archos 2.5/5 stars. they pretty much said it was neat but that until a Win OS is designed to work with a tablet, these will all fail.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was so excited about the Archos, because I love Archos products, but that thing is absolute garbage. It is so slow that it is borderline unusable.

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They probably rushed it out way too soon just to get to market first.. which is disappointing.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Funny, I posted in this thread, and just this morning a friend came by to show me his new Archos 9.

I had already played with one a little bit, so I already knew I didn't like it, but I wanted to test something. We went onto the Toyota website, because he's shopping for a new Prius when he goes back to the US. The site runs Flash for the main intro to the car, it got about 3 seconds into the Flash video and the whole Archos locked up, couldn't do anything, we had to take out the battery and put it back in. We restarted, went back to the site, this time it got about 6 seconds into it, and locked up again.

Yeah, this thing is EXACTLY what iPad should be!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

OP
F

fasteddie760

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Funny, I posted in this thread, and just this morning a friend came by to show me his new Archos 9.

I had already played with one a little bit, so I already knew I didn't like it, but I wanted to test something. We went onto the Toyota website, because he's shopping for a new Prius when he goes back to the US. The site runs Flash for the main intro to the car, it got about 3 seconds into the Flash video and the whole Archos locked up, couldn't do anything, we had to take out the battery and put it back in. We restarted, went back to the site, this time it got about 6 seconds into it, and locked up again.

Yeah, this thing is EXACTLY what iPad should be!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

As usual, everybody takes this literally! Are you one of those that also correct everyone for calling the ipod touch an itouch?

I'm not saying i wanted an apple product running windows! But it would be nice to leave my macbook pro at home and be able to do a little bit of work 'stuff'. Install itunes, word, text/ im'ing, check my exchange email, etc... Not a full laptop, but a little closer than it looks to be.

I have not had hands on the Archos or ipad. But I can tell you that not everybody will like the ipad. Just like the Archos getting mixed reviews.

I'm not looking for a glorified 'itouch'. I already have one of those. Maybe gen 2, 3 or 4 will be better? Might be worth the wait.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seems to me that is exactly what the iPad will give. iTunes is basically there by default as it's a music/movie player. Email, yep it'll do that. There will at least be iWorks and most likely a port of OfficeMobile for Productivity tools (who knows what other groups will jump in there). I thought the iPhone/iPod could connect to Exchange servers. I have an iPod Touch (so same interface as yours) and I see the iPad as almost spot on what I wanted from the iPod, which is almost what you seem to want... minus the IMing.

I'm not sure what else you want from the device. I can understand wanting to run an IM client in the background, so wait until iPhoneOS 3.2 or perhaps 4 allows developers to run a stuff in the background.

Aside from a software update to open a bit of backgroud/multi-tasking the only thing missing is a stand that 30 degree keyboardish angle. Personally I would want a bulit in stand... just an extra part that'll be a pain to replace if it breaks.

A full OS like Windows 7 is to much for a 'slate' or pad device. At that point I would want full laptop specs underneath that touch surface... which would mean taking something like the MacPro along anyways. If the iPad (iPhoneOS) isn't to your liking on this kind of device I'd keep an eye on the Google backed venture into this product line.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seems to me that is exactly what the iPad will give. iTunes is basically there by default as it's a music/movie player. Email, yep it'll do that. There will at least be iWorks and most likely a port of OfficeMobile for Productivity tools (who knows what other groups will jump in there). I thought the iPhone/iPod could connect to Exchange servers. I have an iPod Touch (so same interface as yours) and I see the iPad as almost spot on what I wanted from the iPod, which is almost what you seem to want... minus the IMing.

I'm not sure what else you want from the device. I can understand wanting to run an IM client in the background, so wait until iPhoneOS 3.2 or perhaps 4 allows developers to run a stuff in the background.

Aside from a software update to open a bit of backgroud/multi-tasking the only thing missing is a stand that 30 degree keyboardish angle. Personally I would want a bulit in stand... just an extra part that'll be a pain to replace if it breaks.

A full OS like Windows 7 is to much for a 'slate' or pad device. At that point I would want full laptop specs underneath that touch surface... which would mean taking something like the MacPro along anyways. If the iPad (iPhoneOS) isn't to your liking on this kind of device I'd keep an eye on the Google backed venture into this product line.

They do have a stand/case that gives it that 30 degree angle you want. Go to Apple's website and look on the iPad information page, the leather case folds up to prop it up like a standard keyboard.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes but it's not built in :D. Such stands for the iPad are accessories and cost extra. Then again if the accessory breaks its far easier to replace.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't go without having my iPhone in some sort of case, I won't go without having my iPad in a case either. The leather case from Apple is perfect, yes it's extra money, but I think it's almost a requirement.

Alex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With Apple beginning to make their own CPU's, I wouldn't be surprised if they released an iPad running snow leopard, or gazelle, or whatever the hell they'll name the next OS. Perhaps an iPad Pro? Or what they should've done with the iPad, bring back the iBook name and make an iBook Pro.

Most reactions

Latest posts