What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Evernote versus notability

jojoba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both apps but I'm new to both and can't really decide which one to go for in terms of daily use. I think notability is great but it puts me off a bit that it only has one platform (the iPad).

Has anyone here tried both? If so, what are your thoughts?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I only have Evernote, but my recommendation is to use both. The basic Evernote account is free, so the only question is do you like Notability enough to buy it.

If I had a reason to buy Notability (I don't do meetings, classes, events, etc); this is how I envision using it.

Use Evernote for compiling those bits of information you may need later, and want to be able to get to from any computer or device.

Use Notability to take detailed notes for classes, meetings, or other events. If you decide later that the note would live better in Evernote, use the email address you will get with Evernote to email the PDF from notability. Don't know how well that will work with audio notes, you can probably mail the audio file, maybe.

garanth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went for Evernote, as I have an Ipad2, Android phone, A PC at home and at work, and a Mac at home. Evernote runs on ALL of my devices, and has decent functionality too.

OP
J

jojoba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I'm in the same position as Garanth so I'm finding the sync issues are important to me as well. So far I've found myself using Evernote by default. It's a good app.

Marlow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After downloading Notability I read here about the Adonit Jot stylus, which I bought for note taking. However, it is so finicky that it is almost unusable. Adonit shipped me replacement discs thinking that was the problem but i have the same result. In one of their messages, Adonit mentions that the new Ipad2 operating system may be causing problems with writing with a stylus. I don't seem to have trouble just using my finger tip, but of course e writing is pretty sloppy. Anyone experiencing this difficulty? Marlow

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After downloading Notability I read here about the Adonit Jot stylus, which I bought for note taking. However, it is so finicky that it is almost unusable. Adonit shipped me replacement discs thinking that was the problem but i have the same result. In one of their messages, Adonit mentions that the new Ipad2 operating system may be causing problems with writing with a stylus. I don't seem to have trouble just using my finger tip, but of course e writing is pretty sloppy. Anyone experiencing this difficulty? Marlow

If by "finicky" you mean that the Jot misses strokes, yes, it is a very well known problem. Two fixes have been found to work. Try washing the tip and disc with dishwashing liquid and drying thoroughly. If that doesn't work you should try a tiny bit of thermal grease on the tip and then put the disc back on. That seems to fix a problem with a lack of connectivity between the disc and the tip. And if you don't know "thermal grease" from a bag of rocks, you're not alone. Try googling for it and you can purchase a tube at a local hardware store or Amazon.

P.S. You can find a lot of information about the problems and solutions for the Jot stylus by searching on this forum.

Last edited:

aoporto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.infogenium.com
I use both regularly. Evernote is great for simple notes and does an amazing job of syncing your data if you use multiple devices. I use it on iPhone, iPad, Windows, and Web. Very happy with it. Notability for me is better for notes where I want to include images, such as drawing a prototype and including descriptive text. I think Notability would also be useful if I needed to take meeting notes with lots of text. It seems to be better suited for rich text usage, similar to a word processor application.

crappa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was using Notability until I got Evernote, now I just use Evernote. I like the syncing between my Mac and iPad.

OP
J

jojoba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. I'm going to explore Notability a bit more now to actually see what it offers.

Marlow, I often use a stylus and find that different apps take to it very differently. Right now I'm testing out 7Notes HD because it converts handwriting to text as you go along.

storageman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does evernote do sound recordings? That is the reason that I am looking at Notability and Audionote
I want to record meetings as well as take notes, probably with the Wacom stylus.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I find Evernote and Instapaper work very smoothly together.
Read an article you like and a tap on your bookmark clips the article for later review, leaving out all the ads, likes, rubbish etc..

Then a quick check on Instapaper and you can export directly to Evernote within the app.

Saves so much cutting and pasting.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Forgot to say it does take audio clips.
Also great for photographing docs when you're in a hurry.

mzmacky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I do a lot of handwriting either for a quick note or for classroom teaching... I also love the file organization and i have it sync to Dropbox if needed. Notability is also great for annotating my student's papers and sending them back to them.

Most reactions

Latest posts