What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Evernote : How do you use it? : Tips and Tricks

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Things I do with Evernote: Part I

My uses for Evernote were pretty basic at first, but they grew. Eventually I took a day to re-think how I wanted it to work, and then reorganized and cleaned things up to match. Pretty much eveything I do and how I set it up came from ideas I gained from reading Evernote blog posts and Paperless Ambassador articles. I keep an eye out for interesting ones by following their Twitter account.

So first, organization:

Stacks are basically folders of notebooks. On the iPad you create them with the familiar drag and drop method. Drag one notebook on top of another to create a stack, or other notebooks into an existing stack.

You can use them any old way you want, but I created mine based on areas of responsibility or interests, projects, document collections, and app specific. Here are my stacks.

* App Stack: For notebooks that work with a specific app.

* backups (for sending emailed backup files from the Budget Envelopes app)
* Contacts (playing with Evernote Hello to see if I find it useful)
* Penultimate (auto saves Penultimate notebooks)
* Reeder (where stuff goes if you save it to Evernote from the Reeder app)
* Scanner Pro (place you can send scanned documents)
* Skitch (where all Skitch documents end up)

* Geek Stack: iPad, iOS, computer, and tech stuff

* iPadForum
* MyWeb
* OSX
* Programing

* Life Stack: For general stuff I do every day and want to track, or whatever.

* CookBook (playing with Evernote Food, to see if I find it useful)
* Exersize (log for walking and other activities)
* Journal (because I'm always going to start keeping one)
* Pic-a-Day (stopped doing this after a week *sigh*)
* Poem-a-Day (stopped doing this after two days *double sigh*)

* List Stack: What it says.

* Ideas (whenever I have an idea I want to jot down)
* WishList (stuff I might want to buy later)

* Ref Stack: For documents and other information I may need on a moment's notice.

* Ref (catch all)
* Vehicles (my vehicle registration, license plate, insurance cards, etc.: for quick lookup of stuff)

* Spanish Stack: For my own Evernote Peek notebooks/cards.

* Spanish Phrases
* Spanish Vocabulary (this is getting too big and needs to be broken up)

* Work Stack: For work related stuff.

* JobSearch (title says it all)
* Northworld (documents and notes about the RV Park)

I'm not going to go into how I use (or intended to use) each notebook. I'll just cover the ones I use the most.

The App Stack is the Evernote destination of other apps, if they don't fit well in one of my other categories. The only one that gets a workout is Skitch, and that is mostly automatic. It's handy because I now have an archive of every skitched document I post to the forum, and that archive is available on all my devices and computers.

In the Geek Stack the big notebook is iPadFourm. There are all kinds of notes here, and I update them often. Mostly these make it easier to keep up with the forum and save time. If you see a lot of repetition in my posts (links, paragraphs, etc.) this is why. I'm lazy.

I have several lists of links (with descriptions) for any sites that I think are handy, get referred to a lot, or I just want to keep an eye on. The three main lists are for Apple's site, useful iPadForum threads, and other iPad/iOS related stuff from Google and other tech sources.

I also keep a few lists for iPadForum threads that I may want to visit repeatedly.

* Favorites (like photo, music, reading, games, etc.)
* My Threads (threads I've started and may want to make future posts in; like this one)
* Temp Links (for threads I want to reply to, but don't have the time or energy at the moment)
* Share Links (for links to stuff I want to share more than once from one of my cloud services)

If I end up answering the same question multiple times, and think I've done a fairly good job of it, I may save a version of the post in a note. I try to keep these up to date, but I'm not very good at it. The Usual Fixes I sometimes add to the end of replies is one of these.

Finally, I'll save a article from a website if I think the topic is likely to useful later. Every so often (or not so often) I go back and delete the ones that are out of date or no longer look to be useful. Often, I regret this a few weeks or months later.

This post is now overly long, and I don't want to invoke the TLTR (To Long To Read) reflex, so I'll come back and explain how I use some of the other notebooks another time; though you can get a pretty good idea just by through my stack/notebook outline at the beginning of the post. I try to make things obvious, at least to myself.

P.S. I composed this as a note in Evernote, because I knew it was going to be long, and I was afraid to trust it to the website editor. I've lost long posts that way before, though not often. Puts me in a bad mood for the rest of the day. Besides, it's pretty good text editor, both on the computer and iPad.

P.P.S. And had to go back and clean things up because the outline didn't paste properly.

Last edited:

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Whew, finally got my Evernote password updated into Skitch and Penultimate.
Redownloading the Evernote app. After reading these posts, I'm inspired to give it another try :)

russ331

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had Evernote on my PC since December 2008, & have created 1,232 Notes since then.

When I bought my iPad in May last year, I was thrilled to find I could access Evernote through the free App.

I've read about various tips & tricks, but remain happy to stuff nearly everything into one main Notebook. Never had a problem finding a note, thanks to the excellent search facility.

I would urge people to try Evernote, even if they think they have no use for it. My girlfriend was in the "don't need it" camp, until I showed her mine. Now she's a convert, & the Evernote App Icon is in the bottom tray of her iPad's home screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

goofy8275

iPF Novice
Reaction score
At the moment, I have four notebooks in Evernote: iPF, To Do, Wish List, and Random Notes. For the To Do notebook, I just put the item in the title of the note and leave the body blank. If more detail is required, I will put it in the body.

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Check out Evernote Food....

I saw that before-the reviews aren't very good yet!

Evernote Food just got an update a few days ago. It now lets you specify a notebook and tags that will automatically get added to the Cookbook. This fixes the one feature I needed to make it useful; a reliable way to add new recipes.

Another handy tool for recipes is kustomnote.com. From their site you chose, modify, and fill out forms that send custom notes to your Evernote account. It lets you make nice looking recipe notes yourself, instead of being limited to clipping them from the web or taking a picture. There are several styles. Here's one I tested.

Recipe.jpeg

The free account is limited, but sufficient for light use.

Last edited:
OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Using Siri to create notes in Evernote.

Again, the key is Evernote's email address. Having created a contact just for my Evernote address (named Evernote), it is possible to send email to it via Siri. The conversation goes something like this.

*holds Home Button*

Siri: beep beep

Me: Mail Evernote

Siri: What's the subject of your email?

Me: A test note.

Siri: Ok. What would you like the email to say?

Me: Having lots of fun, period, new paragraph, With love, coma, Twerppoet period

Siri: Here is your message to Evernote. Ready to send it?

Me: Send.

Siri: I sent it.

Actually, if I've got my head together I can say it all together like this.

Mail Evernote
Subject, A Test note
Body, Having lots of fun, period, new paragraph, With love, coma, Twerppoet, period

The result (including an example of what can go wrong) below.

TwerpPollet.jpeg

Not as easy as using Siri with the Notes app, but better than nothing.

P.S. If you accidentally pause too long and Siri asks if you want to send the email before you are ready, you can say Add Message, wait for the beep, and then dictate some more.

Last edited:

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You're cooked now, Twerp Pollet. Siri is never wrong. ( snerk, snerk) :)

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You're cooked now, Twerp Pollet. Siri is never wrong. ( snerk, snerk) :)

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

Who knows. I might just use that user name the next time I have to set up a new account; somewhere where I'm too chicken to use my real name, or name closely associated with my real name? :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I don't know about the non-iDevice, :) but I know that on the iPad and the iPhone you can create a bookmarklet. With it created, you can send all kinds of web "stuff" to Evernote.

Have a look at this thread for how to create a bookmarklet: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-faq/72353-guide-creating-safari-bookmarklets.html.

In the first post, there is also the JavaScript you'll need to create the "Send to Evernote" bookmarklet...

Marilyn

OP
twerppoet

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
How do I capture online info from my ipad, iPhone, or Nexus 7 to ever note?

Besides Marilyn's bookmarklet suggestion, you can use the app EverClip. You start this app, then go to your browser. Everytime you select and copy something it gets saved to EverClip (with a little ding noise to let you know it happened). When done, you open EverClip again and select what you want to send to Evernote.

I'd say EverClip is good when you know you're about to do some really research/clipping. The bookmarklet is good for impromptu saving of articles or pages. If all you need is the URL, you can save the to Evernote using the email option. I use all three, depending on what is most convenient at the moment.

EverClip is an iPhone app, so if you can't find it make sure you're looking at iPhone apps. Other than a less than ideal interface it works fine on the iPad.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So, the browser is separate from EverClip? As in, I open that app, then open Safari, and stuff I wanna save gets auto put in EverClip?

That's sounds way cool - if my understanding is right...

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts